Interest Check: National Novel Writing Month

Discussion non-related
[FDG]Sundae

Re: Interest Check: National Novel Writing Month

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:09 pm

http://www.lazette.net/Free%20Stuff/NaNoBook.pdf

^^^ Words of wisdom from an author who does NaNoWriMo every year and has churned out hundreds of thousands of words regularly.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:07 pm

The tips/tricks you gave were helpful. I've made a brainstorm wordweb (and finally put our whiteboard to good use) which contains much of the useful information I need to make it a believable story (with as few plotholes as possible). I think it might help everybody to share some ideas on novels, to make a decision as to what genre, setting, etc everybody is using. In the end I think we'll all read each others products (finished or not) anyway, so might as well support each other from the get go! :D

Just in case others think this is a good idea I'll start, using the short hand problem statement as posted by Sundae.

Story Title: Zombie Hunters from Space (Working Title).

WHO?
A group of survivours of an alien virus.
WHERE(/WHEN)?
In 2047, Groningen, the Netherlands (story will be in english).
WHAT (HAPPENS)?
The Voyager probe makes contact with an alien spacecraft who use it to locate earth (since that's part of the incriptions on the probe). They set out to earth and make contact, all friendly, all is well. The government of both planets come to an accord which states an (almost free) exchange of technology (barring weapons technology). One of these technologies is called PHOC, a medical gel designed to heal any and all wounds (from bruises to broken bones). All is well until J. de Graaff (patient zero) gets a treatment, the synthetic compound reacts obnormally with this patient and evolves into a virus. It becomes airborne and highly lethal (after incubation of about 10 days). Large portions of the human race dies, despite efforts to find a counter agent to the virus (since the aliens used PHOC to counter infections). Only 440 million people survive, the human race is racing towards extinction. A few of the sick don't die but become mutated, they are highly infectious but don't show any signs of Zombie'ism.
WHY?
The characters are holed up in a museum that rests on the water (actual building in the city of Groningen), they are trying to survive by any means necessary, none of them are doctors or scientists, so development of a cure is not on their priority list.
WHAT'S THE RESULT?
The social implications of so few survivours mixed in with the constant threat of infection (or mutation), the aliens are assigned guilt of the whole situation and most surviving humans become xenophobic as a result. Any alien that still comes near most hubs of human activity are shot on sight (if they're lucky).

That’s just a short summary of the setting right before the story begins in my novel. Now I still have to work out a plot that unravels during the story (I know this set up was supposed to be used for that but I’ll make a seperate one for that, I just thought it was useful in trying to explain the setting of the story). I’d love to hear the ideas from the other writers joining in.

(503 words in this piece of text by the way)
Image Image

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:38 pm

Aw man, I was going to write about zombie hunters from space! :(
Now I'll have to do that gripping, timeless story of a strikingly handsome graphic designer's personal struggle against slightly elevated blood pressure ... :crazy:

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:17 pm

[FnG] 7uh wrote:Aw man, I was going to write about zombie hunters from space! :(
Now I'll have to do that gripping, timeless story of a strikingly handsome graphic designer's personal struggle against slightly elevated blood pressure ... :crazy:

We can't both write each others biographies. that would be mental.
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:20 pm

There is no such thing as a "new" topic to write about. :) Why don't you BOTH write about zombie hunters from space? :)

TITLE: Eternal Autumn (Gee... that sounds familiar...)

WHO? Four people trapped in miserable lives (either through their own doing or otherwise). (1 warehouse-store (Wal-Mart style) customer service employee in the south, 1 artist in a dying Pennsylvania coal mine town, 1 scientist in a city modeled after Boston, and 1 I-banker who (until the layoffs at the beginning of the book) worked in exotic monetary instruments.) 1 strange young girl, around 8 years of age, representing all the good attributes of the world. 1 evil man/demon/being, representing all the bad parts. Many other less-important characters.

WHERE/WHEN? Modern times. Original locations of the four people are modeled after Alabama, Pennsylvania, Manhattan NY, Cambridge MA. The woods and mountains surrounding the magical village of Herbst.

WHAT (HAPPENS)? Four strangers each find their own way out of their own miserable lives and end up meeting at the village Herbst, a magical village always just past the end of summer and into fall. Each of them is welcomed there, and the four settle into the village and try to help out as best they can. The focal point of the village is a very strange young girl who lives there, named Anja. Anja, in short, is the source of everything that is good in life. Through the magic of the village, their interactions with the childlike yet ageless Anja, and their eventual friendship with each other, they begin to piece together their own lives and raise themselves up from the ashes of the past.

When an evil man comes to the forest with the intent of kidnapping and killing Anja, the four band together to protect her from the embodiment of every negative aspect of the world they left behind when they came here.

WHAT IS THE RESULT?
What... you think I'm going to let a villain kill a little girl? Or that I'm going to give away all the plot now? HA! ;)

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:24 pm

Just a quick reminder for anyone who did decide to join into this:

Please remember that posting your story (in full) on the internet technically counts as first-publication, and it will strongly threaten your ability to sell your manuscript to a publisher afterward. Technically, you license your first-publication rights to the publisher - they usually won't entertain any alternative print arrangement.

If you want someone to critique your work, it would be best advised to either keep the forum passworded AND private, or better yet, do it by e-mail.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 pm

One more week to go, can't wait to get started! Have so many ideas!!! (hope I don't get stuck :D)
Image Image

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:15 pm

YAY! ONE MORE WEEK! :D

I'm looking forward to it even if I will be spending two weeks of it on planes.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:26 am

There's actually a kick-off party this Sunday for the southern Connecticut chapter of NaNo, not far down the road from me! :shock:

Haven't decided if I'm going to actually go yet, but still ... these folks are serious ...

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:41 am

Oh holy crap - where? I'm in SE CT.

~S

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:09 am

Below should be a word count for everybody, but doesn't work yet (probably because we haven't started yet).

Image Image

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:52 pm

[FDG]Sundae wrote:Oh holy crap - where? I'm in SE CT.

Aunt Chilada's in Hamden -- I can send you the email if you want, or if you go into the NaNo web site, there's a list of regional groups. There might also be one for the New London/SE Connecticut area.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Nah - don't send. Something else came up to keep me occupied. :)

THREE DAYS! WOOOOO.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:16 pm

Disappearing until December. I'll check in if I'm ahead in my word-count goal for the week. :)

BEST OF LUCK, EVERYONE!!!

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:36 am

How'd day one go, everyone? :)

I've got about 2 hours left to write, and I'm at 4,775 words right now. I've hit my daily goal, and I'm going for as far beyond it as I can in order to keep the momentum up.

Return to “Everything Else”