Cause and effect

Discussion non-related
[FnG] Kahbouter

Re: Cause and effect

Postby [FnG] Kahbouter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:41 pm

[FnG] Sphinx wrote:I am no guru, however going back a few years NVidia and Intel kind of got together and ATi and AMD kind of got together, in their attempts to build better working systems. Whilst I appreciate that many peeps mix the chips and gpu's as they wish, a little part of me says that this should not be ignored. I have no idea what the state of play is now concerning ATi/AMD, as I will always pick Intel/Nvidia (unless I was given a very strong reason not to :) )

Ati is owned by AMD, so that's one and the same company. Intel is the biggest manufacturer of CPU's, motherboard chipsets and graphics chips, but then mainly onboard graphics for their laptops and such (from a gaming perspective, also called useless graphics). nVidia is mainly an manufacturer of graphics cards. They also were big in the chipset business for motherboards, but especially on that terrain they are all but friends with Intel...

Come to think of it, nVidia is not improving their relations with this line of work... But I must say, it's the best nVidia has come up with lately :thumbup:

@ James:
I'm sorry if my ramblings are not clear cut enough, but I like to stick to facts, and facts that can be checked. If you provided the specifics about the different cards you've owned, it would be easy to find out if that was a series of cards that was known for causing trouble (the hot ones) or the best line of cards of their time (the cool ones).
I try to be as impartial as possible. But yes, I prefer AMD over intel, but that has more to do with intel's maffia-like way of doing business. Intel does make great CPU's, but just because they make the fastest CPU, people assume the rest must be better as well.
And at least now I prefer Ati over nVidia, because they have the upper hand in price, performance and power use in almost every price range. But who knows what nVidia can come up with to make me change my mind, GTX480 is not it...

[FnG] James

Postby [FnG] James » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Well the two latest ones I can remember are a desktop running a Radeon 4850 HD... that thing ran at about 80°C idle!

Also for a laptop, I had a Radeon Xpress 200M which also caused everything on the mobo to overheat.
Game-name:
«mæstro»{FnG}

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks for putting me right on that Kahbouter. I guess with all these things, you get into a camp for whatever reason and stay there - like many things it takes a lot to change your mind.
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

Return to “Everything Else”