Style sheets driving me crazy

Discussion non-related
[FnG] James

Re: Style sheets driving me crazy

Postby [FnG] James » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:48 pm

*peeks around corner with shield in hand*

Just thought I'd add my two cents to the browser war going on here by showing the latest Google Analytics report for last month. In this case the Browser ID Report:

I would say designing for IE is still a fairly good idea.

Bye...

:hide:
Game-name:
«mæstro»{FnG}

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Ah, proof .... of all the % that are draining away from IE
the 'other' people did read the memo :P

(j/k) Still, beside all my silliness, it is no longer acceptable to 'only' build for IE, as they are loosing terrain
to either Mac, Firefox and Chrome.

You will have to investigate on who will be looking at your pages ?
As you are a gamer, you are scr*wed, most of your buddies will use various browsers.
Even if you stay W3C compliant, still various things will work on one browser and not on the other.
I did download and install Firefox, Safari, Chrome, Opera, simply to make sure the page is compatible,
it's part of webpage building. Forcing your viewers to use a specific browser is :skull:

Building webpages for IE does not imply your page will be running smooth on mobiles which run IE,
the mobiles don't have a mouse cursor, which changes quite some functions.
You did mean the other way around, webpage build for mobiles being viewed in a normal browser...no experience on that area. :chin:

Mostly create the webpage, when it's finished, try to view it in all browsers, and adjust where needed.

:lollipop:

ImageImage

[FnG] James

Postby [FnG] James » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:05 pm

Web-designers on both sides of the fence make the mistake of designing only for their specific browser of choice. I routinely see those annoying buttons that say "Best viewed with Firefox" or "You should really be using a better browser... Try Firefox!"

Even on my Linux box, I prefer Konqueror over Firefox... call it a quirk of mine, I don't believe any browser should be required to view a page. Look at this absurdity.

So I agree, it's a bad idea to build for only one browser type... but the track we took when designing my site was that when the browsers differ on implementation, you must still bend to the will of the leading browser for your target auidence, or suffer the torture of maintaining separate versions of your site for each browser.
:crazy:
Game-name:
«mæstro»{FnG}

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:11 pm

[FnG] James wrote:Web-designers on both sides of the fence make the mistake of designing only for their specific browser of choice. I routinely see those annoying buttons that say "Best viewed with Firefox" or "You should really be using a better browser... Try Firefox!"

Even on my Linux box, I prefer Konqueror over Firefox... call it a quirk of mine, I don't believe any browser should be required to view a page. Look at this absurdity.

So I agree, it's a bad idea to build for only one browser type... but the track we took when designing my site was that when the browsers differ on implementation, you must still bend to the will of the leading browser for your target auidence, or suffer the torture of maintaining separate versions of your site for each browser.
:crazy:

Thats absurd indeed :stars:

Once its finished i'll see what happens in other browsers (i'm still a MS fanboy though :P ). Doing the stuff i want to do in just one browser is hard enough as it is as im kinda learning on the go, however im getting there...em kinda i think :crazy: .

I got slightly side tracked today, because i wanted to find out about DIV's. It's supposedly better to use them then frames. After much tinkering i was indeed able to copy the "frame layout" using DIVS, but i find it a major drawback that apparently you cannot use targets, which means loading the pages everytime as you click a link :?. That sounds like a waste of bandwith to me (needs further invesitgation ;) )

Edit: arrgggh :gripe: stoopid capitals, now the menu works again :slaphead:
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

Return to “Everything Else”