Input lag

Discussion non-related
[FnG] Mez

Re: Input lag

Postby [FnG] Mez » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:25 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote: I tried the hotwater on my wrists whilst playing, but my mouse is now making funny noises ;-)

That's strange! Perhaps I should recommend amputation as a permanent solution :)

Seriously, a mouse mat with a gel wrist rest helped me too. I haven't considered accupressure, but I only get the odd twinge really.

(And this thread has got *way* off-topic...!)

aximon

Postby aximon » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:51 pm

[FnG] Mez wrote:Also, is there any point having a frame rate above 90, because the server max tick rate is 90 ?

Thank god I always just half heartedly read the netspeed/tickrate/fps tutorials so I’m not even going to try and explain what I understood everything in the equation does ;)

But I know that the server is running at a tickrate of 50, luckily the maximum possible netspeed is not locked somewhere below 15000, and because of that my fps is sky rocketing and UT is running a lot smoother.
:pancake:

Oh, and if your mouse is running at 500/1000Hz, don’t forget to tell UT about it: “MouseSamplingTime=”
"The hedgehogs can never be buggered at all."

BoobTube

[FnG] Mez

Postby [FnG] Mez » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:47 pm

aximon wrote:But I know that the server is running at a tickrate of 50, luckily the maximum possible netspeed is not locked somewhere below 15000, and because of that my fps is sky rocketing and UT is running a lot smoother.

Doing "getmaxtickrate" at the UT2004 console on the euro server shows 90 for me. And because I've changed my settings to "MaxClientFrameRate=90" and "VSync=False", doing "getcurrenttickrate" also shows 90 instead of the default 60.

aximon wrote:Oh, and if your mouse is running at 500/1000Hz, don’t forget to tell UT about it: “MouseSamplingTime=”

Thanks - I hadn't done that. But I have now!

aximon

Postby aximon » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:42 am

[FnG] Mez wrote:Doing "getmaxtickrate" at the UT2004 console on the euro server shows 90 for me. And because I've changed my settings to "MaxClientFrameRate=90" and "VSync=False", doing "getcurrenttickrate" also shows 90 instead of the default 60.

I dont know nothing about those fancy console commands ^^ but "inject userflag 1" will tell you the current server tickrate. (turn it off again by changing the 1 to a 0). Most UT servers run at 35. Probably because ClanBase rules tell you to set it to a value between 30-35. I think the default value for a UT Server used to be 20 when there were only 56k modems.

BoobTube

[FnG] Ro3L

Postby [FnG] Ro3L » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 pm

for thoose who need it , this might be a solution :

except for the acer :brow:

[FnG] Mez

Postby [FnG] Mez » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 pm

[FnG] Ro3L wrote:for thoose who need it , this might be a solution

Haha - I should have done that at my work desk for 20 years... :)

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:21 am

:chin: To be honest, I think the mouse that is being used in the picture is way to small, and could contribute to RSI related complaints...
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:09 am

[FnG] LcNessie wrote::chin: To be honest, I think the mouse that is being used in the picture is way to small, and could contribute to RSI related complaints...

Ive found using the minimouse i have with a laptop, kills my hand after a while much worse than standard mice....

And Mez its not ready offthread unless we start talking about hemeroid cures...
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:19 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:
[FnG] LcNessie wrote::chin: To be honest, I think the mouse that is being used in the picture is way to small, and could contribute to RSI related complaints...

Ive found using the minimouse i have with a laptop, kills my hand after a while much worse than standard mice....

I am intrigued to know your ideas Hanno, as I am sure they will be lego based :mrgreen: on second thoughts I don't think I do want to know them :wink:
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:13 pm

[FnG] Sphinx wrote:
[FnG] Hanno wrote:

I am intrigued to know your ideas Hanno, as I am sure they will be lego based :mrgreen: on second thoughts I don't think I do want to know them :wink:

Okay this is why I ALWAYS disinfect (and clean with an ultrasonic bath) any 2nd hand lego I get.... :brow:
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

aximon

Postby aximon » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:35 pm

[FnG] Ro3L wrote:for thoose who need it , this might be a solution :

That apparatus looks interesting ;) I don't have a wrist rest but at least I do some warm up before touching a keyboard like stretching, playing with Baoding Balls and exercising with a Gripmaster Prohands for a bit. Let's hope it's gonna be good for something :)

BoobTube

[FnG] James

Postby [FnG] James » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:38 pm

aximon wrote:I don't have a wrist rest but at least I do some warm up before touching a keyboard like stretching, playing with Baoding Balls and exercising with a Gripmaster Prohands for a bit. Let's hope it's gonna be good for something :)

The Baoding balls have a whole lot of benefits besides exercising hand dexterity, because as you use them they are stimulating various accupressure points on your hand, such as for the heart and liver. So it's great that you're using them. They don't hit the main point for wrist pain though because that point is slightly below the wrist bend line.

The Gripmaster is also good for individual finger strength, and if you use the Heavy Tension one long enough, you can develop a killer handshake that can crush someones hand into a fine powder. :wink:

Besides accupressure as a treatment that I've already mentioned... I would also recommend trying out these Gyro Exercise Devices. They are very good for strengthening the tendons of the wrist and forearm.
Game-name:
«mæstro»{FnG}

[FnG] Ro3L

Postby [FnG] Ro3L » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:33 am

@ mez how the hell do you play with the mouse at the left hand. What are your other controls.

i tried this yesterday and i was awfull, need some practicing. I made some bat script to start with different user inis so have it sepperated :) but i cant seem to find te good binds for walking around and switching weapons.

[FnG] Mez

Postby [FnG] Mez » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:34 am

[FnG] James wrote:Baoding balls

Interesting. I also find that juggling is good for relaxing hands/wrists/shoulders between gaming, and helps develop a good left-hand/right-hand balance.

(this is a zero double-entendre thread, btw :))

[FnG] Hanno wrote:Okay this is why I ALWAYS disinfect (and clean with an ultrasonic bath) any 2nd hand lego I get.... :brow:

Nice. I'd also advise washing any bed-linen or mattresses you buy from car boot sales. And avoid any that have suspiciously coloured patterning.

[FnG] Mez

Postby [FnG] Mez » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:49 am

[FnG] Ro3L wrote:@ mez how the hell do you play with the mouse at the left hand. What are your other controls.

i tried this yesterday and i was awfull, need some practice. I made some bat script to start with different user inis so have it sepperated :) but i cant seem to find te good binds for walking around and switching weapons.

Yup - aiming takes the most practise, to rewire your brain neurons :P, but if you use your left on the desktop every day too, it becomes 95% as good as your right after a few months. Note that I also switch the primary and secondary buttons within Windows, to maintain symmetry (and annoy anyone who tries to use my computer!)

So I use my right hand on the keypad exclusively, to move and switchweapon, as below.

/=Translocate/TossRelic, *=Rocket/AVRiL, -=Impact/Shield
7=Shock,8=Forward,9=Mini,+=Flak
4=Left, 5=Back, 6=Right
1=Crouch, 2=SuperWeapon, 3=Bio, Enter=Link
0=Jump, .=Sniper/Lightning

It's not too bad, but I can tell other players' key combinations allow them to double jump constantly, whereas I struggle because using a thumb independently of the fingers is still quite difficult.

Return to “Everything Else”