"the bios in this system is not fully acpi compliant" BSOD

Discussion non-related
[FnG] Lazz

"the bios in this system is not fully acpi compliant" BSOD

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:15 am

Hi all

So today I recieved Windows 7 Home Premium. Naturally the nerd inside of my was excited when I loaded it, except after a few seconds, it came up with the BSOD saying "the bios in this system is not fully acpi compliant".

Ive prettymuch searched the web for the solution, but there doesn't seem to be a main one, just several that may work. Ive disabled everything relating to the APM (except the 'suspend' part but that doesn't have a disable option. Ive disabled the parallel port, but that didn't help. Tomorrow I will prob try disabling USB legacy (another suggestion) to see if that works.

Other than that, its a case of update the bios (which im really nervous about doing, though I think its up to date anyway) or resetting the cmos (whatever that means).

My motherboard is Foxconn P35

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Re: "the bios in this system is not fully acpi compliant" BSOD

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:18 am

Resetting the CMOS is just taking out the little watch battery thing to reset things, will lose stuff like BIOS settings time date etc. (It's good if you have a computer and remove the graphics card as it makes the computer forget there ever was one so it goes back to on board, it's for that sort of thing)

Updating the BIOS is not too bad, make sure all is backed up anyway but it seems odd for that to be the cause. how old is your motherboard? might be a case of too old to play with the youngsters....that sounds wrong. you get what I'm saying though.

Nessie will probably know.
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:35 am

I've heard about this error popping up. I may have seen it myself back in the days.

However ACPI is so well defined nowadays that I really don't expect this error to pop up.

Updating the bios may be a good solution. Before you actually do the updating, check the following

Does your computer show you a fancy graphic when you boot up? If so, you may want to turn that off in the Bios. There may also be a key to "show system messages", usually esc or tab. Try that.

If you get dumped back in textmode, you could press the Pause/Break button real quick. This should pause the bootup screen, so you get the chance to actually read it.
On the first of these text screens, you should be able to find the version and date of your Bios. If this is older than the newest (non-beta) bios avaialable on the foxconn website, I do recommend updating. Especially if the release notes mention ACPI.

The actual updating of the bios is pretty much fool-resistent. If you do something wrong, it just doesn't do it, and your computer remains in it's current state. If you do it right, the update commences. Several checks are built-in to ensure that it doesn't go wrong.

The only way you can really screw this up is in one way: if you reset or power-off the computer during the flash procedure. Once it starts to verify the last block, you should be out of the woods.
There is of course always the slightest of chances that there is a power-failure just when you start the procedure, but that would be an INCREDIBLY bad stroke of luck. At least, it would where I'm from.

I can not find the exact P35. I am able to find the P35A, as well as some derivatives. Be absolutely sure that you have the correct one of those. Once again, the update utility should cover that as well.

The moment I'm writing this, the Foxconn support site crashes down like an airplane (or RC buggy with a camera mounted on top) on fire, so I can't point to the (probably) correct download.

If you could verify the motherboard type, I could point out what you need.
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 pm

Just looked at the BIOS. The version is biosv1.06.64.

Motherboard: Item: Foxconn P35A iP35 Socket 775 eSATA 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

It might be best if you could link me to the latest bios because looking on their website, the latest update is '6B3F1P40' (was kinda hoping it would say 1.07.54 etc).

p.s it doesnt show a 'fancy graphic' as such, but it does say Foxconn in large text (not sure if that counts)

Also - is it worth using foxconn's live update tool to update the bios? http://www.foxconnchannel.com/support/d ... -us0001790

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:10 am

By all means... If it doesn't update your bios, it updates your drivers, which is good too.

I can't seem to get to the bios section of this motherboard even if my life depended on it. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!
Or they just have some emergency maintenance AGAIN...

Ah well, I'll try later.

The motherboard is advertised as Vista compliant, so it should run 7 without a hitch as well, actually. Have you called or mailed Microsoft support about this issue? Also give them the mainboard model, the CPU you are using and so on.
A call for support to Foxconn couldn't hurt either. In fact, I think Foxconn is best qualified to support your problem...

Kind regards,

Mathijs Wijers

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:17 am

Ok cool :)

I shall most likely be using the FOX Live update tool to update my bios later. My fingers will be tightly crossed!!

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:24 am

It worked :)

Using Liveupdate updated the bios. I got a bit worried at one point cause it said the computer would restart, and it never did, causing me to have to switch it off and on again.

Windows 7 is also succesfully installed :)

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 pm

*scratches another notch in his keyboard*

:crown:

Return to “Everything Else”