Picking a new router - choices choices ..

Discussion non-related
[FnG] N!MRoD

Picking a new router - choices choices ..

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi guys and gals

I would like to upgrade my from my old router so I'm looking for a new router to buy. I'm currently stuck on 2 linksys models.

The very new Cisco Linksys EA6500 Smart Wi-Fi Router AC1750 Wireless-AC HD Video Pro 802.11ac. But also rather expensive. It supports the new 802.11 ac, so i'm all good for the future.

I checked a few reviews, and I saw a few saying that the firmware needed some work, but in the meantime a few firmwares have been released. Though cannot find any new tests on those.
Also, seems that the router could sometimes disconnect under heavy stress, but that could also be fixed by new firmwares by now.

The bit older brother is my other choice. The http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-EA4500-Dual-Band-N900-Router-with-Gigabit-USB_stcVVproductId145330245VVviewprod.htm. It seems pretty much the same as the newer version, but without the 802.11 ac.
The general impression i get from this hardware is that its a solid piece of hardware. Though I have not looked it up that much. Oh and it can be near € 100 cheaper then its new brother.

A linky to wikipedia so you can check out more info about the 802.11 ac, and compare to n or g, etc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Anyway, has anyone got some suggestions/ experiences?

I'm mostly looking for a solid router, with a solid WIFI repection/ transmission. I wanna be able to do some packet prioritizing, so my gaming isnt bothered when others open up some heavy WAN connections (a bittorrent for example)
My current router is a Dlink DGL-4500, I'm quite satisfied with it, though i'd wish it had a stronger wifi.
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Re: Picking a new router - choices choices ..

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Can't say Linksys/Cisco routers are bad, they are more expensive, but you get good quality.

For pricing, I suggest to take a look at Tweakers.net

Personaly I would opt for the 6500, which is faster, certified and newer technology, being the price not that much different.
(or buy a real cheap brand router, and replace it every 2 or 3 years, as this one will also be 'old' in 5 years time, and have more trouble connecting to it :P )

not much help as I read back :slaphead:

Lambik

ImageImage

[FnG] N!MRoD

Re: Picking a new router - choices choices ..

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:53 am

Thanks for the quick reply Lambik :)

I actually already have been checking up on tweakers. Their pricewatch is nice, clean and fast imo. Still thanks for the pointer, proves that i'm not the only one who thinks alike :)

And true, it should be better allround :) And you have been of help, thanks!
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,

while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

Return to “Everything Else”