Musicians.... Fancy making a song? :)

Discussion non-related
[FnG] Cooks

Musicians.... Fancy making a song? :)

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:17 am

I've seen this talked about on some other forums, and while playing UT04 last night someone brought something like this up, so...

We have several musicians on here, how about we get together & record a song? Just do a cover of a relatively simple song, maybe even a couple if we can pull it off :) Here's how it'd work:

Each person records there part of the song onto their PC, using their mic & sends it to me. Once all parts are in, I'll put it together & ta da! We should have one complete song :)

And for those who don't play, we'll need plenty of singers and with the happenings on TeamSpeak, we've got plenty who'd be suitable :P

Anyone interested? I'd strum my bass (I'm not great though :oops: ). I was thinking something like The Kinks to start off with while we try it. Nice 'n simple :-P

& please don't move this to music (or yet at least xD) because more people view this part of the forum!

Thanks, Exp.D

:guitar: :band: :guitar:

[FnG] horsie

Postby [FnG] horsie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:42 pm

Sure count me in i play bass too but could work out some guitar or keyboard stuff as well

:D

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Yeah, I'd be in for this. Guitar or vox, most likely. I can also help with recording/mixing if you want, but it sounds like you have this in hand already.

For my band's stuff, please visit www.moldmonkies.com.

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:31 pm

That was a shameless plug and you know it. :P

If I could get my hands on a mic I'd contribute a bit of impro clarinet jamming (which would be almost totally incongruent to the rest of it, I'm sure) but at some point it's gone missing and I really, truly, have no idea where or how. Bizarre. :shock:
ImageImage

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:19 pm

I was just going to use Audacity to throw it together, but if you have better ways then you could jump in too :D We got bass, guitar, vox... Drummer, anyone?

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:34 pm

[FnG] Exp.D wrote:...Drummer, anyone?

You only need to look as far as Everlong :) He is a Drums Man :band:

Sphinx
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:06 pm

Yeah, ever is teh drum dood, any of you lot used Reason.3/Acid/CEP2? I used to be fairly good with them (remixing, mastering, leveling etc with a bit of practice I should be able to drqag some skills together?) Unless you got it covered Cookie, wouldnt want to encroach. I suggest you DL a trial of cool edit pro though, makes layering different tracks very very easy.
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:23 pm

I was just going to slap it together xD If anyone has the time and thinks they can do it better, then go ahead - but we'll sort that out once we have the parts recorded.

What song shall we do? As I said, I thought the kinks for something simple, but maybe Buck Rogers by Feeder could be another simple one to start with too? It'll also be better for having a group singing to it too xD

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:24 pm

What I usually use is Cubase SE. The other guitarist in our band wrote the book on Cubase -- literally, no foolin' ... and that's what the band has used to mix its stuff for years. Thad's very big on Ableton Live now, but I still rely on Cubase. I would be happy to help with that, or we could even do different mixes and make it a bit of a competition ... :shock:

The drums need to come first, though, so my recommendation for a priority list would be (1) pick a song and (2) nail down Everlong (or other drummer if he's not interested).

If we're doing a Kinks song, I love pretty much all of 'em, but I'm very partial to "This Is Where I Belong," the theme of which also seems to fit with FnG ... Or we can do something else; I just think this is a cool idea and want to be part of it! :D :D :D
Last edited by [FnG] 7uh on Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:28 pm

I've always wanted to cover All Day And All Of The Night, but could never convince my old band to do it :( Not sure if I've heard the other one, let me check... Probably have :)

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 pm

[FnG] Exp.D wrote:I've always wanted to cover All Day And All Of The Night, but could never convince my old band to do it :( Not sure if I've heard the other one, let me check... Probably have :)

I like that one, too -- Peter Gabriel covered it and so did the Stranglers, so why not FnG? :wink:

Here's a sample from a really good cover of "This Is Where I Belong" off Bill Lloyd's first solo album.

"All Day and All of the Night" is a bit more of a rocker, maybe that would be more to everyone's taste, though ... Anything's fine with me, though. We could always do more songs if it's successful ...

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:12 pm

You could also write your own songs... which would be way more creative and rewarding :D:P
Image Image

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:22 pm

Yeah, we could make an album or two :) I only suggested something simple to start off with, because we've got to record it sparatley, distribute via the internet, I've only got a basic mic etc, so just to see what it turns out like :)

[FnG] Everlong

Postby [FnG] Everlong » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:34 pm

I would love to do this project!! I havent read the thread proprly as I am at my folks house on their PC but I will look through it properly when I get home.

I can also D.I. my V-drums into my sound card and record via a click-track. There are also possibilities of other percussion instruments such as digital conga samples, timpani...pretty much anything thats not too obscure!

Oh I am getting that excited feeling!!

I agree with Emu about writing an original song. Can I suggest asking mags if you want some original material written, hes awesome!!

Let me know what you think.

Also, if there are other drummers that want to do the job then let me know as I can play percussion instead of the main kit. :D

Cheers bandmates \o/
Image Image
"Its called Lick My Love Pump!"

[FnG] The Federalist

Postby [FnG] The Federalist » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:59 pm

Sweet idea. I can't really help with musical talent, I can only play some piano, but I have pretty sweet skills at Garageband if you need any track editing/mixing.

Return to “Everything Else”