Upgrade time

Discussion non-related
[FnG] Cooks

Upgrade time

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:17 pm

Howdy again...

Time for an upgrade :) Going for a new CPU this time, as my ones running at 95 - 100% during UT3, and it can't cope that well with IRC, TS, UT3, xfire, etc. etc. running which I'll need to.

I spotted a Q6600 (Core 2 Quad) at a decent price, but wasn't sure my mobo can handle it. I checked with tech support, all I got was:

Thank you for your email.

The details for your motherboard are shown on the web site below:

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/ ... 6521820306

The details show that the motherboard supports Intel Core 2 Duo models with LGA775 up to 1066 MHz FSB.

The Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 uses a LGA775 Socket and has a bus speed of 1066 MHz. The motherboard specification would suggest that this processor would be compatible.

Ok, but that doesn't leave me 100% confident as I don't know what chipset the motherboard has, and the Q6600 only supports 2 types (that I saw on intels website) & neither of those were on the chipset list for my Pentium D. Should I risk it?

I could probably get a new motherboard & PSU to go with it if needs be, but I don't have an XP disc (stupid packard bell >.< ) so wouldn't be able to do a repair install I don't think. So that options a bit dodgy...

I could get a Core2Duo instead which would do the job fine, but only the 2.6ghz model - the 3ghz has a 1333 FSB, which my mobo can't handle. Plus it's not that much cheaper than the Q6600, so in my attempt to get the best bang for my buck & not wanting to upgrade my CPU again...

Then emu said that the quad core would only be worth it if I have a 64 bit OS, which I don't AFAIK....

Hmm, what to do?

[FnG] Greyguy

Postby [FnG] Greyguy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:28 pm

Stormie's post on tha Anandtech review will give you some insight on multi core procs. I am running a Q6600 and the game runs very well. You will see an improvement with a quad core even with a 32bit OS.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

[FnG] Archer

Postby [FnG] Archer » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:17 am

Cookie, I know how you feel since UT3 has me eyeing a new computer again. But I am going to recommend that you might want to wait until at least a non-beta demo (I'm for sure going to wait until about half a month after UT3 comes out) before making any decisions here, because you never know what surprises Epic might have in store in terms of optimizations.

Just my 2 cents Canadian, which is greater than 2 cents American. Man, I love being able to say that. :P

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:28 am

[FnG] Archer wrote:Just my 2 cents Canadian, which is greater than 2 cents American. Man, I love being able to say that. :P

Rofl!

Well, it's my birthday sunday, so I'm getting money towards it as my gifts then treating myself ;) I don't know though.... This thing just crashed on me with a fault in non paged area, then when I booted again it froze on screen before windows loading & then said system failuer, insert startup disk.... :S Better back things up quick :(

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:22 am

But if you do read that article Stormy posted they found that while the dual cores have a significant advantage over single core, the step from dual to quad is not nearly as big (9% if I recall). Although if you are building for the future as well and the quad is only marginally more expensive I guess it's worth it. Again, like Archer said, this is only a beta demo so if you can wait you might get better info in a month or so.

I know my decision was made for me when mine tragically ( :D ) crashed and I had to get my new system.

Gothelittle Rose

Postby Gothelittle Rose » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:12 pm

I absolutely love my Quad 6600. I make fuller use of it in multitasking. So maybe UT3 might only be running on two of those cores. The other two can still be filing, indexing, video-converting, uploading, downloading, or any of the other tons of things I have a habit of doing on my daily slice of gaming time.

I just recently did a full upgrade as my system was seriously failing. I like being able to set up ten video clips to convert from Camera-Compressed (or whatever they happen to be) to xviD and then play Oblivion while it's running.

If you're not as insane a multitasker as I am, you probably don't need the full quad. Or if you plan to upgrade by bits. Me, I went from a maxed-out 4-year-old board to an over-halfway-to-maxed-out top-of-line board and plan to avoid upgrading for the next 3 or 4 years.
"Who are you, yourself, alone and nameless?" - Tom Bombadil

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:21 pm

As for multi-tasking, as I said it's Game, Xfire, IRC, MSN, Teamspeak + I regularly have the game minimized & browse the web etc. & I hate waiting for the game to minimize & return full screen again ;) I guess none of these are quite as harcore as video converting & such, but it's the small price difference that seems worth it. Since I bought my PC (Standard packard bell, with 1GB RAM, Nvidia 7300LE, 2.8ghz Pentium D) I've upgraded the RAM to 2GB 800mhz Kingston Hyper-X & the card to an 8600 GT. If I did go for the new mobo & power supply, I could probably throw a system together with a P4 we have not being used & some cheap RAM. Which I could then flog to my sister or friend... Hmm....

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:03 am

I think I'm pretty set on my upgrade...

Q6600 - 2.4ghz : http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131823

Mobo: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131173

I just need a PSU... Anyone recommend one from http://www.ebuyer.com or http://www.overclockers.co.uk that'd suit a system with the above, a 8600GT & 2GB 800mhz RAM?

[FnG] oomska

Postby [FnG] oomska » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:41 am

I recently built a rig with this PSU

Should have all the power you need and nice & quiet too. I'd recommend it to anyone.
With all due respect John I am head of IT and I have it on good authority if you type ‘Google’, into Google you can break the internet, so please no one try it, even for a joke

Gothelittle Rose

Postby Gothelittle Rose » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:39 pm

I upgraded mine with that CPU, an EVGA nForce 680i SLI board, and a 500W Earthwatts Antec power supply. (I do not overclock my hardware. I buy as good as I can get it, and then I don't upgrade for years and expect the hardware to last that long.)

....besides, I've found it near impossible to strain this machine already, even with my most ambitious projects, so why try to make it faster?

[FnG] Kahbouter

Postby [FnG] Kahbouter » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:39 pm

The PSU is the most important part of your setup, so it's imperative not to try and save money on that one. Go for a solid 450-500W, that should suit your needs perfectly, especially since you have a mid-range videocard and it will even allow you to overclock a bit. I know that Gothelittle Rose runs a SLI-setup (dual 7900GT's if I'm correct ;) ) with that 500W she mentioned, so that amount of power might even be overkill for you at the moment, but will allow you to upgrade safely in the (nearby) future.

So stick with an Antec or Enermax (those are proven quality to me, there are more good brands, though ;)) It will set you back a good 60 quid from what I've seen on the links you provided, but it's better to spend a bit more on a decent PSU than on new components when a cheap PSU decides to blow up your setup after a while...

Gothelittle Rose

Postby Gothelittle Rose » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:04 am

Aye aye, twin 7900 GT's. Didn't you help me pick out my power supply, Kahbouter? :)

This thing runs like a dream. Does anything I ask of it. I don't think a single day has gone by that I haven't said that I absolutely love this desktop.

Ditto on the PSU advice! An inadequate PSU can really, really ruin your day/week/month/year.

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:04 am

Gothelittle Rose wrote:Ditto on the PSU advice! An inadequate PSU can really, really ruin your day/week/month/year.

...As it seems you're always stuck in second gear...

:P Sorry, couldn't resist... Bit of a 'the Rembrands' reference... :mrgreen:

Yup, Power supply unit = important... Very important... Do not cut cost on a PSU... But the same goes for almost any component of your new rig.
With a dodgy set of memory, your computer may cause you serious headaches in the form of random lockups and/or blue screens...
The motherboard you choose will be extremely important too, as it accomodates processor upgrades and/or facitiltates extra functions through slot-in PCI(-e) cards... Do you want NVIDIA's SLI stuff, an AMD/ATI CrossFire setup or don't you bother with that marketing dual graphics nonsense?
And while you're at it, what do you want to spend on graphics? Are you going for a DX9 card à la GeForce 7900 or Ati 1900, as you don't expect to be running Windows Vista any time soon anyway, or are you going all out on a Geforce 8800 or ATI2900?

Ironically, the CPU is less important. For most applications, any dual core CPU out there will do the job... Granted, a quad core will do it faster, but that would mean the difference between 75 or 80 frames per second... (...yey... We are overwhelmed with unbridled enthousiasm... :sleepyblue: ) But the fact is, that's just throw more dosh and you get more quantity. Quality is virtually guaranteed. (Intel and AMD are both good...) However, if you are anything akin to me and Gothelittle, you want POOWWWWARRRR!!!! :twisted: :Mrgreen1: Not only PSU, but also CPU, GPU, MOBO, HDD, RAM, NIC and SND... ;)

However, there is a thing called overkill... :roll: http://anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/sh ... spx?i=3132
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

Gothelittle Rose

Postby Gothelittle Rose » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:54 pm

Actually, I just like watching geek guys' jaws drop when I show up as this cute innocent sweet-looking girl (still trying to figure out how they get that impression) and then read off my desktop/laptop specs and watch them realize that I know pretty well what I'm doing. :D (I won't mention that I pass every upgrade decision past at least two, preferably three geek guys first)

My desktop is a "Frankenstein" (I buy every piece myself, separately, and upgrade it in bits over time... I kid myself that it's theoretically a multiplied-upgrade 486-66) and my laptop is a Sager.

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:21 pm

[FnG] LcNessie wrote:
Gothelittle Rose wrote:Ditto on the PSU advice! An inadequate PSU can really, really ruin your day/week/month/year.

Ironically, the CPU is less important. For most applications, any dual core CPU out there will do the job... Granted, a quad core will do it faster, but that would mean the difference between 75 or 80 frames per second... (...yey... We are overwhelmed with unbridled enthousiasm... :sleepyblue: ) But the fact is, that's just throw more dosh and you get more quantity. Quality is virtually guaranteed. (Intel and AMD are both good...) However, if you are anything akin to me and Gothelittle, you want POOWWWWARRRR!!!! :twisted: :Mrgreen1: Not only PSU, but also CPU, GPU, MOBO, HDD, RAM, NIC and SND... ;)

not quite true, the amount of L2 cache can have quite an impact on performance and at the end of the day, your processor can be the bottleneck to pretty much everything going on in your pc. You can have yourself a shiny Geforce 8800 GTX or Ultra, but with a slow processor, it'll be way ahead in calculations and therefor you'll be haveing spent plenty of money on a swell GPU that is too fast for your system ..but that goes for pretty much anything.
(Granted, if the cpu is the bottleneck of the GPU, then it wont be the most massive problem since it'll most likely only happen when the framerates are more then solid allready)

Return to “Everything Else”