Should be back online in a couple of weeks, ready for UT3!

Discussion non-related
[FnG] Red Six

Should be back online in a couple of weeks, ready for UT3!

Postby [FnG] Red Six » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:55 pm

Well, I should have all of my adaptive equipment in place, as well as a replacement video card installed on Quad Damage in the next couple of weeks. This will enable me to game effectively again using the pedal system that I used before, as well as a couple of other tools.

I've been ready to go for a few weeks now but had been waiting for the UT3 demo to come out and get some data on it before I decided for sure on a vid card. My 7950GX2 failed, probably because of damage from coolant that leaked out when I bled the water cooling system to fix the problem of the water blocks on the mobo chipset having come loose in the early part of the year. That all happened right before I went back to the hospital and I'm just now getting everything resolved.

The good news is that the Actic Silver thermal epoxy I used on the chipset is holding up fine, and the system posted on an old PCI-video card that I had laying around. I get nothing off of the old video card, even having cleaned it quite thoroughly. Something must have cooked off; it is as dead as can be.

Kicked it around a lot - what card or cards to get to replace it - and decided to spend 250 bucks on Ebay to get a used replacement. I did that after looking at the actual performance gains of the DX10 cards on the games I play, and found that in order to beat out what I had, I would have to by an 8800 Ultra, which would cost considerably more than 250 bucks. Throw in the fact that I already have a set of waterblocks for the 7950GX2 and the economics become even more clear; I can overclock with the RAM and GPU's water cooled. A good vid card water block can run 100 bucks or more easy. PLUS - I won't have to bleed my water system again in order to install an identical card, because I left the blocks tied into the system. I can simply assemble the card in the case around the water blocks without ever opening the system again, and that by itself is worth a fortune. The GX2 is a weird little piece of hardware and if I had it to do again I'd have bought something else; but with things the way they are, I think this is the smartest way to do it, and the most bang for my buck.

I'm sure when there are a lot of DX10 games out, the 8 series will start being worth the money, but there aren't very many yet, and what I really want to play is UT3. Plus, probably by the time DX10 really takes off, the 9 series will be out. I'm planning to skip the first generation of DX10 cards and use the next generation as a probable upgrade path later down the line - we'll just have to see how this thing holds up over time, but I think it will do OK. Plus, the 1GB of VRAM helps with the insane resolutions I sometimes play on my mig monitor.

I'm eager to see how Quad Damage runs UT3, which supposedly knows what to do with more than 2 cores. I have 4 running in my rig.

This is also going to be the time for me to upgrade to Vista - mostly because I want to use all of my RAM - so lots of changes right now, but I should be in the game when the full game is released.

Thanks for the input you guys have provided over the last few months, and the support when I was laid up. I appreciate it. Am looking forward to getting back in the game.

Freedom is not Free - Remember the Fallen

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:00 pm

:D HEY! Hello H6!

Great to hear you feel like picking it all up again... I believe we saw you on the forums the last couple of weeks, albeit sporadicly...

Glad that Quad Damage is also rising from the dead once more... I understand that you had other things on your mind for a while. I'm sure a 7950 will do the job perfectly... :D

Good speed!
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:26 pm

Good news H6, see you ingame soon hopefully.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:53 pm

great news :thumbup: good to see you around again :D
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Greyguy

Postby [FnG] Greyguy » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:38 am

Hey H6. Nice to see you back. You will surely love the new hellbender in UT3. Stormie and I were tooling around in one the other night...You may want to check out this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130303 video card. Less than $300 and runs UT3 better than my 8800GTS.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

[FnG] Red Six

Thanks

Postby [FnG] Red Six » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:41 pm

I've already ordered a second-hand 7950GX2 to replace the one I had. It cost about 250.

I kicked around the idea of going with the 8800 series (doing an upgrade) but ultimately decided that my water cooling system was the biggest obstacle to doing that - I wouldn't necessarily have to water cool a new video card (although I would like to because I like to OC like mad, and I've got a massive water cooling system that can handle a whole lot of thermal throughput), but if I would at the very least have to remove the water blocks from my old card from the cooling system, otherwise they would be in the way, hanging in the box from hoses, causing space conflicts and possibly other problems.

That means draining the cooling system, removing the blocks, patching up the hose, refilling the system, and praying that nothing leaks.

If I wanted to water cool the new card, it would probably be another 50-100 dollars, maybe more, for a water block that would hit all the hot points on the card.

But, even if I didn't do that, it's worth it to me to get a 7950GX2 JUST SO I DON'T HAVE TO DRAIN THE COOLANT. In such a large and elaborate cooling system as mine, that is a royal nightmare, and it is the probable cause for the failure of the video card in the first place.

All of this leads into the post I'm about to leave about water cooling. This has been my first go of it and I have some thoughts I want to share.

[FnG] Red Six

It lives!

Postby [FnG] Red Six » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:42 pm

Quad Damage booted successfully with the replacement video card I bought on E-bay, a second hand 7950GX2. I got 2K4 up and running and put it under some load and it held up fine - so I think we're good to go here.

Now I just need to re-install the water blocks (for the checkout I used the stock coolers), get the GPU's OC'd to my liking, connect some other loose ends and tidy up the machine a bit, and I'm ready for UT3 when it is released - that's when I'll see you guys gaming.

:wink: Woot!

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:32 am

Sounds complex, well done on all the erm, engineering, can we have a photo of this thermo nuclear gas guzzling gaming rig of yours I want to see exactly how pathetic my little black cube looks in comparison.
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FnG] Bawsy

Postby [FnG] Bawsy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:16 pm

[FnG] ~°pixie°~ wrote:..I want to see exactly how pathetic my little black cube looks in comparison.

But enough about your head, lets see how Quad Damage looks compared to your PC!

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:30 pm

[FnG] Bawsy wrote:
[FnG] ~°pixie°~ wrote:..I want to see exactly how pathetic my little black cube looks in comparison.

But enough about your head, lets see how Quad Damage looks compared to your PC!

Ho ho ho, someon give that man a cookie
with cyanide*grumble

Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

Return to “Everything Else”