My monitor is making me feel ill?

Discussion non-related
[FnG] Lazz

My monitor is making me feel ill?

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:55 am

Hi all

During the last few weeks, I have been feeling ill after looking at my monitor. It usually only happens in the evenings (leading me to believe it might be to do with the lighting), though my room is well lit. Its in a good position and the hz rate is 75 so Im unsure as to why my monitor would both give me headaches and make me feel physically ill.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:02 am

my first reaction would be the refresh rate, however thats at 75hz, so that would be fine.

You talk about headaches..are you squinting at ur monitor? Change it position..its it straight in front of you and at the right hight? Also check ur chair, that could be a cause, because a wrong position will put strain on neck and shoulders, causing headaches (time to google them health and safety rules ;) )

Last but not least..go see an eye doctor, could be ur trying to correct a lil eye problem causing the headache and eye probs (check the above first though first ;) )

Cheers Rampy
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Neecap

Postby [FnG] Neecap » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:03 am

What kind of monitor do you use? How big is it? How far away is it from were you sit etc

And is it positioned in such a way that you have to tilt your head or something like that to look at it properly?

EDIT: OH dang rampant was faster...

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:56 pm

I think it might be to do with the brightness. It is a very bright monitor. The default brightness setting was 50..........I have it at 8 and it still seems bright. I cant recall squinting at my monitor. I think my monitor and chair position are fine as I don't feel strain too often.

I did go to see the opticians a few weeks ago. They said I could probably do with new glasses (because mine are several years old) but since the improvements were only slight, it didn't seem worth spending out £100+ on new ones.

My monitor is an LCD Acer AL1916W, 19 inches (widescreen) and about 26 inches from where I sit. I dont have to tilt my head to look at it properly :)

[FnG] Lert

Postby [FnG] Lert » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:44 pm

How old is the monitor ? Try another for a while, see if that helps. Reason I ask about the age of the monitor is because as monitors (everything really) gets older, it's more likely to start to fail.
Zambah Abagarabzh! Ram Harman Hambargarz!

Return to “Everything Else”