American NFL Football live from London!

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

American NFL Football live from London!

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Watch the New Orleans Saints vs. the San Diego Chargers
live at Wembley Stadium in London today at 4:30 p.m. on BBC 2
(replayed, I think, about 7:30 on BBC 3)

This is the middle of the NFL season, and this game counts. (not an exhibition or friendly)

These teams have two of the better offenses in the league, both with star quarterbacks.
Charger running back LaDainian Tomlinson is an NFL superstar.
Saints have a elite running back too (Reggie Bush), but he's out with injury.

Enjoy, should be a good game if the rain stays away,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] 7uh

Re: American NFL Football live from London!

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:32 pm

Not a bad game for our friends 'cross the pond ... high scoring, Drew Brees doing some knees-bent, running-about, eating-up-the-clock behavior ending up with a safety (a fairly rare occurrence in USA-football) - pretty entertaining for a game between two 2-3 teams! :wink:

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:36 am

Unfortunately I wasn't at home when this was played... even then wouldn't have been able to watch it due to a power outage... As for the other games in the NFL... OMG! Dolphins Won!!! :cheerleader:

As I write this NYG lead PIT with one Touchdown... hopefully they can hold their lead :D (would be good for my Fantasy USFootball league standing)
Image Image

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:40 pm

By shear luck i had 10 minutes of this on the oll HD recorder :mrgreen: ...after which they switched over to BCC3 which I dont have :gripe:

Im curious though...how did those two teams end up in london for match :shock: (before somebody makes the really obvious joke...yes i knew they prolly flew in by plane :P )
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:55 pm

[FnG] RampantBunny wrote:Im curious though...how did those two teams end up in london for match
Not sure if you mean "why was this match held in London?" or "how did these two teams get chosen to go?" — so I'll try to answer both questions.

The NFL "International Series" is a promotional effort thought up by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. It's meant to give those outside the U.S. a taste of American football (and hopefully get them interested, I guess).

Before 2005, the NFL had "NFL Europa," the developmental (and promotional) league in Europe. When that folded, the commissioner decided they needed a new way to promote the NFL in other countries, but without the hassle of setting up a whole league (with teams, logos, coaches, salaries, etc.).

So they came up with the "International Series" idea, where a game would be played overseas. To make it more special/meaningful, it would not be an exhibition — it would be a REAL regular season game that counted, complete with real NFL star players. The first "International Series" game was held in Mexico City in 2005, Arizona Cardinals vs. San Francisco 49ers. They skipped '06 for some reason, then last year they held it in London, with the Miami Dolphins playing the New York Giants.

This year's game (Saints vs. Chargers) was such a success, they're talking about holding TWO games in London next season, or the year after.

Apart from the U.K., they are considering holding games in Germany, Mexico and Canada (Toronto would get the Buffalo Bills vs. somebody). Also, the NFL may expand its season to 17 games (from 16) next year. If so, that gives them more scheduling freedom to send more games abroad.

As for "why the Saints and Chargers?" — Goodell and the league chose them out of a short list of teams that said they were interested in playing overseas. It's likely (also) that they were chosen for their high-scoring offenses, the league not wanting a repeat of last year's dreary 13-10 mudfest.

The Kansas City Chiefs, the Tampa Bay Bucaneers and the Seattle Seahawks have all said they would like to play a game overseas, so look for one or two of them in London next year. Perhaps even more exciting, Goodell says there's a great deal of interest in holding the Super Bowl in London someday, and they're looking into it. :shock:

Hope that helps,

P.S. You know all the talk/argument about a 39th game overseas for the Barclays Premier League? This is the fuel for that fire.
Image Image

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:32 pm

Thanks DK :thumbup: that explained it all :mrgreen:

Never realised NFL europe folded :( in my younger years i remember it was showed on TV quite a few times, i did always notice quite a few US players would play in europe, before going back to the US, getting experience so to say ;)

I sure wouldnt mind seeing a bit more of it across the big pond :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :wink:
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Perhaps even more exciting, Goodell says there's a great deal of interest in holding the Super Bowl in London someday, and they're looking into it

As awesome as that would be, I wouldn't like to see the F.A. Cup final played over in America...

I think holding the Pro-Bowl over here would be a better choice?

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:59 pm

[FnG] Cooks wrote:
I think holding the Pro-Bowl over here would be a better choice?

I agree. I find it hard to believe they'd host the Super Bowl overseas for several reasons, the main one being commercial scheduling. Hard to sell multimillion dollar ads to U.S. companies for an event that's taking place in the middle of the afternoon (assuming a night game, London time).

A Pro Bowl in London would be awesome, though. I'm sure some teams didn't want to play a regular-season game in Europe because of the long flight. With a Pro Bowl, jet lag wouldn't hurt anyone because the season would already be over.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:50 pm

Oh noes! You're stealing Hawaii's only Football game?! :D:P Greedy Bastards! XD
Image Image

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:46 am

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote:Oh noes! You're stealing Hawaii's only Football game?! :D:P Greedy Bastards! XD

Yeah, well, Hawaii has the whole "gorgeous beaches" thing going for it. It can do without the Pro Bowl. :P

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:30 pm

Oct. 25, 2009
It's back! NFL football live from London!
Watch the Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. the New England Patriots
live at Wembley Stadium in London today on BBC2 at 4:30 p.m. (UK time)
Kick-off at 5 p.m., I think.

Image Image
This is not an exhibition or friendly -- smack in the middle of the season.
The only problem is the Patriots are really very good and this season's Buccaneers are a disaster,
so the match-up didn't turn out as even as one might hope.
(FWIW, the Bucs are being made the 'home' team, perhaps to help even it out. heh)

The question of the day seems to be will Pats superstar QB Tom Brady throw 6, 7, or 8 touchdown passes? :laugh:
It's forecast to be a bit windy and rainy, so we'll see.

Enjoy, it's a chance to watch the amazing passing attack of Brady and the Pats, anyway,
Image Image

Return to “Media Discussion”