Harry

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] B0sun

Harry

Postby [FnG] B0sun » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:15 am

So we have all seen in the news the last few days (well in the UK anyway) Harry (future prince Philip in the making) said something that a lot of people found offensive! Now I call Cannon a Scott and I have no problem people calling me a Brit. Why then are people going mad because Harry ( I am a royalist) called someone by a shortened name of the country they come from??? Discuss!!!

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Re: Harry

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:24 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil: He DARED call me a Dutchielander?!!onesiestwosies!@? :evil: :evil: :evil:
:jester:

Could you please elaborate? I missed the part where the fecal matter hit the rotary air redistribution device...
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:11 pm

I haven't seen the news the last few days (inside or outside of the UK). So some background would be nice, very nice indeed. In essence I am not opposed to calling the people of a country with an abbreviated name, however if it becomes racist then he lost me. Again I have no clue what he did or did not say, so I'll await the background info before formulating an opinion.
Image Image

[FnG] B0sun

Postby [FnG] B0sun » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 pm

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:06 pm

:| I think it's all blown out of proportion, or pulled out of context... Consider the imaginary country Farawayistan.

You could refer to it's inhabitants as:
Stupid Fara idiot

or a snippet of conversation could look like this:
Guy 1- Who's that guy? Looks foreign.
Guy 2- He cool, he with me... Yo, Fara, you're attracting attention!
Guy 3 (hails from Farawayistan) - Look who's talking, Dutchie!

Now, the latter is perfectly acceptable in my book, but the former is clearly an attack on heritage (some would call it racism...)

[FnG] B0sun

Postby [FnG] B0sun » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:40 pm

I see what your saying here... but I call Cannon a daft skirt wearing porrage scoffer.. (We are sort of mates) (when me pc is bust he is me best buddy) the point is Harry said this (apparently in good humour) so is it classed a racist.. Hell you should listen to a lad we sail with from Egypt and the laugh he has with us (obviously cant repeat it here for fear of offending people)

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:56 pm

As for this matter I cant belive how much this is being blown out of proportion, a mean come on it was 3 year's ago for pete's sake ( no offence pete lol ) and in all honesty I don't realy care it was just a mild conversation between Harry and his buddies. The racisum I hear at work make's this look like nothing, I could understand if he said it in a rasist way like "look at that P**i over there"

We've also got prince Charles in the new's now as well because of the nickname he gave to one of the chinese member's of his golf club.

[FnG] B0sun

Postby [FnG] B0sun » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:55 pm

I have heard (is that a feild full of cows or the other one?) people on TV call the chineese chinks the japs.. umm japs and the welsh umm fornicvators of sheep.... (been atr the red again) :lmao:

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 pm

It has been blown unbelievably out of proportion... Basically someone sold the video to a newspaper, and it's become huge news apparently. Now there's other stories surfacing, blah blah blah....

So he called his friend a nickname, and everyone else finds it offensive? May I ask, what's it to do with them....?

If they can call the British people Brit's, Scottish people Scots, what's up with shortening Pakistani to, well... "The offensive word"?

If I call my friend said word, would anyone care? Nope. Would I be able to sell a video of it to News of the World? Nope. But if Prince Harry does it....

Oh, and anyone who's ever called Prince Harry 'ginger', can't talk, as they're just as bad... :lmao:

Oh, and on the subject...

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol ... 128854.ece

I don't see that making the news in England though, only about how our prince is racist for joking with friends....

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:05 pm

The word he used is definitely an offensive term when directed at a stranger, but it's really hard to judge in the context of a bunch of friends in a close-knit military group.

I think it's significant that no one seems to have asked the object of the term how he felt about it. It could be that it's no big deal to him -- in which case I'm not sure I see how it's the business of anyone who wasn't privy to the original conversation.

Of course, Prince Harry set himself up for this with the whole Nazi-uniform-costume-party thing a few years back. Funny how these things come back to haunt you when you're constantly in the public eye.

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:17 am

[FnG] 7uh wrote:Of course, Prince Harry set himself up for this with the whole Nazi-uniform-costume-party thing a few years back. Funny how these things come back to haunt you when you're constantly in the public eye.

He could have known that would be the case... :roll:

[FnG] B0sun

Postby [FnG] B0sun » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:06 am

[FnG] 7uh wrote:
I think it's significant that no one seems to have asked the object of the term how he felt about it. It could be that it's no big deal to him -- in which case I'm not sure I see how it's the business of anyone who wasn't privy to the original conversation.

They did ask him and he diddnt care!!! his dad however did.. strange that!

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:48 pm

Blown out of all proportion, as context is everything with that sort of thing.
Saying that he's a pretty daft bugger not realising that it might come back to bite him in the bum :idea:
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

Return to “Media Discussion”