Glad to have watched History in the making

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Greyguy

Glad to have watched History in the making

Postby [FnG] Greyguy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:56 am

I was sitting at work with the Obama inauguraton stream over the internet watching history in the making. How the world has changed since Dr. King gave his "I have a dream" speach. This is truly a historic day not just for our friends across the border but for all of us. Well here's hoping......... :D :D :D
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Re: Glad to have watched History in the making

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Hear, hear
Image Image

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:44 pm

If you look around and at the news, it looks like the whole world is in :cheerleader: mode... This in itself is of course a good thing... To be realistic, if Barack even manages half of what is expected of him, he'll have been one helluva president*...

Hopes are *very* high. Disappointment is inevitable, even if undeserved...

*(On a grammar note, I hope I've got my tenses right 0.o)
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 pm

+1 best wishes for the new Presidency. Here's hopin'.

One thing I could do without, however (and this is no reflection on Mr. Obama) is all these sycophantic, gloating celebrities, rock stars and movie stars yammering all the time. Somebody get Oprah, Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Robert De Niro, et al, OFF my TV screen, please. Kthnx

As much as I may admire and appreciate, say, Alec Baldwin's work, I really don't care what he thinks about the new presidency. Shut up, already, and stop interviewing them, stupid media! :x Legitimate news, please.

@ LcNessie: Your grammar is spotless and shiny. :thumbup:

--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Greyguy

Postby [FnG] Greyguy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:45 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:+1 best wishes for the new Presidency. Here's hopin'.

One thing I could do without, however (and this is no reflection on Mr. Obama) is all these sycophantic, gloating celebrities, rock stars and movie stars yammering all the time. Somebody get Oprah, Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Robert De Niro, et al, OFF my TV screen, please. Kthnx

As much as I may admire and appreciate, say, Alec Baldwin's work, I really don't care what he thinks about the new presidency. Shut up, already, and stop interviewing them, stupid media! :x Legitimate news, please.

@ LcNessie: Your grammar is spotless and shiny. :thumbup:

--kril out-- :mrgreen:

As usual you have hit the nail right on the head again. It gets alittle painful when the media is looking for sound bites form celebrities instead of real people. Didn't see too many celebs during the marches for freedom in the 60's.......I guess the nightsticks, water cannons and attack dogs were alittle much the them.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

[FnG] B0sun

Postby [FnG] B0sun » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:04 pm

Politics hold very little interest for me wether home or abroad... but how many people in the world did you think sat through the whole thing waiting for the sound of a Barrett 50cal?

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:02 pm

I sort of forgot to watch, although all the coverage over here in the UK was pretty high.
I somehow doubt that when we get a new Primeminister it would be on every channel in the USA ;-)
My only worry is that seeing his success Gordon Brown is going to get desperate for votes and
spend too long on the tanning bed in vain hopes of conning the British Public into voting for him.

I do hope OB1Kenobi brings a bit of common sense to the American Leadership, and he 'seems' a good man for it.
We all need a bit of hope at the moment.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:03 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:I somehow doubt that when we get a new Primeminister it would be on every channel in the USA ;-)

Not generally, but when there's a significant political shift, it gets a lot more attention.

The ascendancy of Labour and Tony Blair, for example, was a pretty big deal in U.S. news, and I gather Obama's election is getting similar play in other countries.

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:30 am

Good Luck to Mr Obama!

Its a shame we don't have a charismatic leader like President Obama over here in England. Instead we get Gordon Brown who has the charisma of a boulder.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:39 am

Brown has nothing on Balkenende when it comes to lack of charisma. Jan-Peter (our prime-minister) would've lost to anyone you could possibly pit against him in a presidential race. For those not familliar with JP "Harry Potter" Balkenende, I present to you:

The Prime Minister of the Netherlands, Mister Jan-Peter Balkenende!!!

Thank you, thank you, you're far to kind :P
Image Image

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:47 pm

[FnG] Lazz wrote:Instead we get Gordon Brown who has the charisma of a boulder.

Hey, he's more dynamic than John Major, whose main advantage was that he wasn't Margaret Thatcher.

Plus, charisma has a power than can easily be misused. See presidents Reagan and Clinton, for example.

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:29 pm

The question we're all asking though, is whether he'll "faithfully execute", or "execute faithfully" his office. :P

Well, if it'd been anyone else they'd all be saying: "Oh no, America elected another numpty." As it stands, everyone's tutting at the dastardly Chief Justice trying to trip poor Barack up. Maybe he should faithfully execute Mr Roberts. :wink:
ImageImage

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:47 pm

[FnG] Marksman wrote:The question we're all asking though, is whether he'll "faithfully execute", or "execute faithfully" his office. :P

Yeah, great ... the Chief Justice of the Supreme court is yet another Grammar Jackass. Another reason for me to hate the guy.

Maybe he should spend more time reviewing the Constitution and less time trying to linguistically one-up everyone. Or, as Roberts would say, "to one-up everyone linguistically."

'Cause if you're going to (boldly) split your infinitives, you might as well speak al Qaeda or something, ya commie terrorist!

[FnG] inside_out

Postby [FnG] inside_out » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:21 pm

My very first post in a very long time - just for Mr Obama.
Indeed, I was glad to have watched the Inauguration, to be part of the American historay - well, if halfway around the world in cable television counts. Preconceived notions and prophetic statements aside, we are not sure for real what capabilities he possess until he starts fulfilling what the people of the world expects him to undertake and accomplish simultaneously, nevertheless, everyone around the world are hoping for the best with crossed fingers and silent prayers. After all, America's course of actions are able to determine what will happen. It is then, much more preferable to be less judgmental at an early point of time and let this new historic epoch pass with great accomplishments.

God bless America.
"In God we believe - in money we trust" ;)
gee ... no siggy

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:07 pm

Good luck to the fella' I for one was very happy he was finally made president, and managed to avoid being shot at mid ceremony. Les hope change does come and for the better.

~off topic~
Gorden Brown aint that bad, he is not especcially exciting but I would trust him further, and at least he is not David Camron. (or Maggie)
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

Return to “Media Discussion”