Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Mez
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:44 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Postby [FnG] Mez » Sun May 23, 2010 10:00 pm

Heh - an "A-team van" would be practical and appropriate almost anywhere...

Sounds like a brilliant holiday (I'm keen on the odd 4-hour stroll myself) so I hope you all have an great time.

User avatar
[FnG] Hanno
Posts: 2714
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Devon , SW UK
Contact:

Re: Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:20 pm

[FnG] Mez wrote:Heh - an "A-team van" would be practical and appropriate almost anywhere...

Sounds like a brilliant holiday (I'm keen on the odd 4-hour stroll myself) so I hope you all have an great time.


The holiday was great, Austria is beautiful and every other corner you get a postcard view of mountains and meadows.
In the four days we were there we did about 24 miles walking and 15 miles by bike.
Even with the huge breakfasts and four course dinners, I managed to avoid weight gain...

The only thing I would say, is next time I wouldn't go by train , its just too far.
PLUS being stuck on a train for 2 hours with 20 drunk German football supports on the day of a world cup match
is not pleasant, not pleasant whatsoever, in the only thing worse would be being stuck on a train
with 20 English supporters.... :stars: :gripe:
Image
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Mez
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:44 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Postby [FnG] Mez » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:15 pm

I imagine it was tiring in a good way - you must be very relaxed now. 8)

But you should know by now you can't escape the football - just be glad they didn't have vuvuzelas, for the ultimate in calming experiences.

And huge breakfasts cooked by somebody else. Not much can beat that <drools>.

User avatar
[FnG] Hanno
Posts: 2714
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Devon , SW UK
Contact:

Re: Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:39 pm

[FnG] Mez wrote:Heh - an "A-team van" would be practical and appropriate almost anywhere...

Sounds like a brilliant holiday (I'm keen on the odd 4-hour stroll myself) so I hope you all have an great time.



YAY I finally bought an ATEAM van. :yahoo:
.
.
.
Doh - :slaphead: shame it's only in Level R (project Torque) but it sure does run nicely.
Image
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

User avatar
[FnG] N!MRoD
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:00 pm

I did some reading up here and i was surprised, to say the least, at the insurance costs for healthcare. Here in Belgium much of our healthcare is covered by the government. Still many do take an insurance on top of things in case you get hospitalized, if you dont have one already from your employer. And travel time to your "house doctor" is about 5 to 10 minutes usually. Hospitals generally 30 mins max. 10 in my case and i could get it to 5 if i have to.
But then again, they say we got one of the worlds best healthcare systems and social systems (yes its being abused a lot sadly enough) but we do pay LOTS of taxes for it. I think around 40 percent of my gros pay goes to it.
Now speak of pays. Your pays surprised me a lot too. I think i make only half of that gros pay a year, lets say about € 18.5 K a year. I was comparing things with that thinking you were earning about the same. Seems I was quite off. In any case, I'm sure I am not taking other factors in to account but still, now it seems much more doable. (now i'm wondering why employers complain so much here that our wages are too high :s)

Now what i would do with the money.
I just follow this little plan.

All the money I get, I will try to put aside as much as I can.
When i have enough I will buy land and build a house. (Its a Belgian thing, building houses. as a little joke on it they say we are born with a brick in our stomach.)
Once that is done i think I will travel and see the world and probably buy myself a Lexus 8-).
Oh and I might get a hair transplant done too using some of my savings. But I'm not really out of it how much it actually bothers me :P.
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

User avatar
[FDG]Sundae
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:20 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA
Contact:

Re: Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:10 am

[FnG] N!MRoD wrote:I did some reading up here and i was surprised, to say the least, at the insurance costs for healthcare. Here in Belgium much of our healthcare is covered by the government. Still many do take an insurance on top of things in case you get hospitalized, if you dont have one already from your employer. And travel time to your "house doctor" is about 5 to 10 minutes usually. Hospitals generally 30 mins max. 10 in my case and i could get it to 5 if i have to.
But then again, they say we got one of the worlds best healthcare systems and social systems (yes its being abused a lot sadly enough) but we do pay LOTS of taxes for it. I think around 40 percent of my gros pay goes to it.
Now speak of pays. Your pays surprised me a lot too. I think i make only half of that gros pay a year, lets say about € 18.5 K a year. I was comparing things with that thinking you were earning about the same. Seems I was quite off. In any case, I'm sure I am not taking other factors in to account but still, now it seems much more doable. (now i'm wondering why employers complain so much here that our wages are too high :s)


The insurance is only getting worse here, too. My insurance at my new company is terrible.

Nimrod - one thing you need to remember about the pay numbers here are that the numbers we report are household numbers, and over 70% of all households in the USA are two-worker households. Yes, they're making slightly over double you... but with two people working. We *do* make just barely more than you, but BARELY at that. On average, I mean. I'm making waaaay the hell more than that now, but 1) I work for Big Evil, and 2) I am an exception. (My current employer is paying me about $91,000 p/year.)

My insurance at my new company:

$270 a month gives me the privilege of paying $2,000 outright for medical care before they will even consider paying for anything. No vision care, no dental care, no pre-natal or pregnancy care except for abortions. The insurance runs with the theory that if you choose not to abort, it means you are choosing to have the baby, and therefore the costs of the pregnancy are a "chosen condition," meaning you wanted to pay for it. No cosmetic coverage, therapy (physical or mental), or in-house visiting care is covered. No prescriptions are covered until you have paid $5,950, at which point they are covered at 80% (you pay the other 20%). If they are less than $30, you pay all of it. All other care past $2000 but before 10% of your salary is paid at 80%, with you footing the other 20%. When those 20-percents exceed 10% of your total salary, all other care [that is eligible] is covered at 100%. For example, you'd still have to pay for pregnancy expenses at 100%, because they're never covered, and braces as well since they're a dental expense.

If I have children, it increases to $360 a month for the first child, and $540 a month for all children after that (meaning 2 or 17 children are charged at the same rate). Each increase adds $800 to the deductible (the $2000 I have to pay before they cover anything), so if I had a family of four, I'd be paying $540 a month and have a $3,600 deductible.

Don't get me started on our asinine tax system here. Just don't. It is linked to so many problems here in a chicken / egg sort of way that it's practically beyond salvaging. We pay far, far too low for what we'd need to pay to get a safety net, but far, far too much for what we actually get (jack S***).

User avatar
[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin
Posts: 3433
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:03 am
Location: Where Torgo goes, nothin' grows.
Contact:

Re: Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:33 am

Yeah, but we're choosing to dismantle civilization over here. So it's all good. Sometimes you get what you ask for.

Like our founding father, Col. Sanders, said: "I regret that I have but 2 kidneys to give for the Koch Brothers!"

Amen. Amen.
Image
Image

User avatar
[FnG] Nihilist
Posts: 1850
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:12 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:12 am

The cost of medical care in this country is just shocking to me.

And I work for a large medical organization...
Have you blamed Kril lately?


Return to “Media Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests