Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Hanno

Re: Money, Materilsm and Fantasy Spending.

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:40 pm

[FnG] 7uh wrote:
[FnG] Lazz wrote:
[FDG]Sundae wrote: I remember you could buy houses in Kansas for $40K, but who the hell wants to live in Kansas? (I lived there for 7 years. I have never been happier to leave a place.)

How come?
(just out of interest)

My guess: Incredibly flat, incredibly boring. Plus there's tornadoes.

Ah Norfolk with tornadoes ;-)
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Lest you think I'm kidding about how flat and boring and tornadoey Kansas is ...

... it's very flat, incredibly boring, and severely tornadoey.

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:11 pm

Looks like the Netherlands with a twist...

Eheh, eheh! Get it? With a TWIST? Eheh, eheh!

ThangyouverymuchI'llbehereallweek!
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:26 pm

[FnG] 7uh wrote:Lest you think I'm kidding about how flat and boring and tornadoey Kansas is ...

... it's very flat, incredibly boring, and severely tornadoey.

That looks so much like a road I used to drive down to take my vw beetle to the repair guy its amazing .... in Norfolk.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:00 pm

I wouldn't want to be in a Beetle driving down that road in that weather - I'd be afraid of taking an unintended air trip ... :crazy:

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:55 pm

(A chance to show stuff blowin' up? Ack, the influence of teh Rampinator)

Well, here's the bit where it's highly unlike Norfolk...

The area's vast flatness allows a strange confluence of air masses over the flat plains (did we mention flat?) and...
You get "Tornado Alley." As you can see, the Texas panhandle, most of Oklahoma and Kansas are what meteorologists describe as "extremely nasty."

These little, zippy thin bastards are fast and scary as hell. (from Mulvane, Kansas)
(Oh, what a lovely rainbow! [POOM!] There goes Uncle Jim-Bob's barn and the power for half the county.)

But the really nasty ones are the squat, fat, slow-moving mofos with the huge, wide bases.
They just sit there and grind stuff down like some bizarre, sci-fi powertool of the apocalypse.
They love to eat trailer parks, but will sometimes chew up an entire town.
Image Image
Southern Kansas, above, and Hill City, Kansas, at right.

Two images of Greensburg, Kansas, after an EF 5 (Extra F**kin' nasty +5 dam) tornado literally pancaked
the entire town in May, 2007. The result is not unlike what you'd expect from the detonation of a small thermonuclear device (sans radiation poisoing & fallout).
Bird's eye view, above. Well, all these city blocks will need to be rebuilt.
Damn thing even farted up the trees. (Oh, give the trees a chance!)

People's eye view, same scene. Note the grain elevator thingy in the background for ref.
(Dood, the chairs. Save the chairs!)

Amazing footage. [CAUTION: as the tornado approaches, you can make out a few bad words from the onlookers]

These airmen clowns are either a bit too brave, or too stoopit, imho.

Contributing to the delinquency of a thread through further hijackage, I remain,
--kril out-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Seen it all before, Erin loves watching weather disaster documentrys and the moments (Plus vocanos and earthquakes)

Seening the pictures of destruction it always makes me think why do they build from wood?
Have none of the read the story of the 3 pigs and the big bad wolf.

Hardly any houses here are made from wood, all are brick/concrete or stone.
Although maybe it wouldnt make much difference, if you lose your roof and windows
the house is probably structurally kerfeckened away.

The UK actually has a high number of tornadoes for its small area but fortunately
most of them are babys.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3059663.stm
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] Ro3L

Postby [FnG] Ro3L » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 pm

i think the answer is probably money.

its probably cheaper to rebuild a house from scratch from wood then to build a new roof on a house of stone. :chin:

plus when you lost your roof the rest from the inside will be destroyed aswell. I mean if a roof can't cope with the airspeeds...

just my 3 cents :)

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:55 am

[FnG] Lazz wrote:
[FDG]Sundae wrote: I remember you could buy houses in Kansas for $40K, but who the hell wants to live in Kansas? (I lived there for 7 years. I have never been happier to leave a place.)

How come?

(just out of interest)

Whoops - sorry about posting and never coming back again to respond. :)

There's several factors at play here, which I'll outline below:

#1 - Cost of land. Metropolitan and more urban/developed areas often have the cost of land as the largest factor to actually get anything developed, not the house itself. An acre of land here in Groton CT will run you $90-150K USD easily, depending on how easily prepped for construction it would be. Completely impossible, borderline-swamp land in Groton still runs $37K right now per acre. This is not an issue in most areas of Kansas, in that every single area is wide-open, almost perfectly flat, and there's so darned much of it that there couldn't possibly be enough demand to raise prices.

#2 - Cost of living. The average income in southwestern Kansas, for example, is a pittance compared to the east coast. The national average is USD $42,000 roughly, while Kansas itself is $37,000 roughly. For comparison's sake, Connecticut is $50Kish. Clark County KS, for an example of western Kansas, is $33,000. This is still misleading, because Clark County is comprised of poor farmers, illegal farm workers (mexican, usually), and about three wealthy farm families who are multi-millionaires. The county has only about 3,000 people - those three families distort the earnings upward by quite a bit. As a result, if you want to sell your house, you have to price it to something the rest of the people could afford.

#3 - Declining Population. Small farms are on their way out, really. Mega-farms (corporate-owned) are the direction the country is heading as a whole. This results in less need for workers, and less overall employment in the area. On top of this, because of the limited skill-sets of the farm communities, other industries are not moving in. No manufacturing site is going to want unskilled USA labor these days - if they want that, they move to another country and pay sub-par wages and get to ignore environmental laws. No technical jobs are going to move there, because the community's full of farmers, not scientists. No doctors move there, because it's a tiny, spread-out community full of poor farmers who can't afford your services anyway. (Seriously, the town I lived in had no licensed doctor within 50 miles. We had one nurse practitioner, and that was it.) In short, prices are low because nobody wants to move there whatsoever except for people who can't afford anything anyway.

Western KS is surprisingly unaffected by tornadoes. They only get one every few years (even though one did wipe a town off the map about 5 years ago). Southeastern Kansas, however, gets pleeeeeenty.

Edit: Greenburg was actually a town about 40 miles from where I lived. We played them in sports fairly often prior to, you know, the town being obliterated!
Last edited by [FDG]Sundae on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:15 am

Oh - and for in case I misinterpreted his question and he meant "how come you were so happy to leave there"...

In a very small-town sort of area, if you don't fit in perfectly, you are an outcast. My entire family was effectively outcasts, to the point where locals blamed us for any crimes committed in the town, regardless of whether or not it was in any way feasible. I got accused of stealing the town library's 28.8kbps external modem, simply because I had installed it for them. The librarian accused me of that, and police showed up at my football practice to question me over it. My mother was arrested for arson when someone set a post-office drop-box on fire. The reason was "she had been reported as being seen using it". No S*** she was using it - that's how you mail things.... you take it to a mailbox.

Thing after thing piled up, it somehow became "known" in the town that the only reason we'd moved out there was because we were all dying of AIDS and wanted to be left alone, the crime accusations, so on and so forth.

Meanwhile, we did absolutely nothing to warrant it other than for my parents to be from New York, and for me to be smarter and better at most sports than my in-bred classmates were. *shrug* (I'm not kidding about the in-breeding part... there were several 1st-cousin marriages, despite their illegality, while I lived there. The town had a frighteningly high rate of hair-lips in children, which is a genetic defect that gets exponentially amplified via in-breeding as well.)

Welcome to the midwest. :)

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:06 pm

[FDG]Sundae wrote:Oh - and for in case I misinterpreted his question and he meant "how come you were so happy to leave there"...

In a very small-town sort of area, if you don't fit in perfectly, you are an outcast. My entire family was effectively outcasts, to the point where locals blamed us for any crimes committed in the town, regardless of whether or not it was in any way feasible. I got accused of stealing the town library's 28.8kbps external modem, simply because I had installed it for them. The librarian accused me of that, and police showed up at my football practice to question me over it. My mother was arrested for arson when someone set a post-office drop-box on fire. The reason was "she had been reported as being seen using it". No S*** she was using it - that's how you mail things.... you take it to a mailbox.

Thing after thing piled up, it somehow became "known" in the town that the only reason we'd moved out there was because we were all dying of AIDS and wanted to be left alone, the crime accusations, so on and so forth.

Meanwhile, we did absolutely nothing to warrant it other than for my parents to be from New York, and for me to be smarter and better at most sports than my in-bred classmates were. *shrug* (I'm not kidding about the in-breeding part... there were several 1st-cousin marriages, despite their illegality, while I lived there. The town had a frighteningly high rate of hair-lips in children, which is a genetic defect that gets exponentially amplified via in-breeding as well.)

Welcome to the midwest. :)

What a beautiful picture you paint. I had a friend who went through the midwest on a train (it was in the way of the coasts) and met a man who showed her his family photos, only thing being he didn't have them on paper in his wallet like most people, nope they were tattoo'd on his chest all the way down to his more intimate areas. Apparently his wife and his daughter were visually at least interchangeable. I have a photo somewhere, will try to dig it out.
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Thu May 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Well Sundea, lucky for you that (Unlike Dorothy) you're not in Kansas anymore...

Sorry had to be said...

Also... I'm pretty sure it was a yellow brick road, rather than a yellow sand road...

man I'm on a roll...
Image Image

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu May 20, 2010 12:50 pm

I was just reading about the 19 year old who won £10 Million on the lottery 8 years ago -
he is now 27 , broke and wants his old job as a bin man back, after spending all of the money on Drugs, prostitures, parties and fast cars...
He said in an interview the best thing about having that much money were the hookers....

I just wonder if I am on the same planet.... last year I said if I would buy the following if I had the money:

[FnG] Hanno wrote:Back to the money and spending.
If I won £10000 I would buy:
New bed linen and towels £150
A new bathroom sink (as its got a crack in it) £70
Clothes (£100 for me £400 for wife and kid) £500
A wii for daughter £200
Books £180
Days out/meals out £500
A laptop for wife £400
A decent holiday £3000

Well he economy picked up a bit 6 months following that so I got a little more pay but buying things carefully
I believe I have done all of those things although the holiday is only just booked and £2000 rather than £3000
Even £2000 seems a lot for a holiday to me, but it will be the first holiday we have had in 7 years....
and probably won't be doing it again for another 7 years.... as my hair has dropped out at the stress of it already.

SO my wish list is now empty. As well as the laptop, work bought me a new PC recently so thats uptdate
Apart from more books, the only thing to look at soon will be remodeling the bathroom.
What else can I add to my short term wish list?
Hanno's Law:

[FnG] Mez

Postby [FnG] Mez » Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:What else can I add to my short term wish list?

Depends how easily you can get somewhere fresh and quiet, but 2nd-hand bikes for you all can give some happy times, change of scenery, exercise etc.

[FnG] Hanno wrote:the first holiday we have had in 7 years

I know what that's like. Once you've finally arrived, you'll relax - where you off to?

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sun May 23, 2010 2:45 pm

[FnG] Mez wrote:
[FnG] Hanno wrote:What else can I add to my short term wish list?

Depends how easily you can get somewhere fresh and quiet, but 2nd-hand bikes for you all can give some happy times, change of scenery, exercise etc.

[FnG] Hanno wrote:the first holiday we have had in 7 years

I know what that's like. Once you've finally arrived, you'll relax - where you off to?

In Devon, its not very bike friendly - have to drive somewhere first before you get anywhere 'safe' enough esp with a 6 year old. And also due to back problems I can't lift bikes on/off a roof bike rack, other wise we would do that - thats why if I win the lottery i really need an A-Team van to keep the bikes in the back!

Holiday in Austria for the scenery and we are big walkers, going by train though not flying- for a sort of gentle pace.
Another month to go before that though.
Hanno's Law:

Return to “Media Discussion”