James Randi, excellent presentation!

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

James Randi, excellent presentation!

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:23 pm

I was tempted to put this in Technology, but I think Debate is a better category. There should be little debate about what he's presenting, but sadly there is.

This guy and his friends are my heroes... They try to get us to... gotta be carefull...
t. h. i. n. k.

*me looks around quickly there are no black helicopters and sedans pulling up around my house :hide: *

And really, guys, homeopathy is just another word for bottled water and sugar pills!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=22203933
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Re: James Randi, excellent presentation!

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:13 am

[FnG] LcNessie wrote:And really, guys, homeopathy is just another word for bottled water and sugar pills!
Absolutely. I'm often stunned-shocked-dismayed at the sheer amount of this crap on the shelves each time I go into a drugstore (chemist's) or grocery store. It worries and angers me that our Food and Drug Administration isn't prosecuting/banning more of these snake-oil quacks and their useless products.

+1 :thumbup: for Randi and all his skeptic buddies. They r teh bomb.

Nice post, thanks,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:26 am

:cheerleader: forthe great debunker :cheerleader:
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:49 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:
[FnG] LcNessie wrote:And really, guys, homeopathy is just another word for bottled water and sugar pills!
Absolutely. I'm often stunned-shocked-dismayed at the sheer amount of this crap on the shelves each time I go into a drugstore (chemist's) or grocery store. It worries and angers me that our Food and Drug Administration isn't prosecuting/banning more of these snake-oil quacks and their useless products.

+1 :thumbup: for Randi and all his skeptic buddies. They r teh bomb.

Nice post, thanks,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:

There's a great big loophole that most of these companies use that prevents the FDA from going after them. Technically, the FDA has no power over "nutritional supplements", which encompasses everything from vitamins and flax seed oil to shadier things that get marketed within that category. These are all, legally, outside the FDA's jurisdiction. Should they be? Absolutely not. Are they? Sadly, yes.

This is why you see so much of that stuff floating around for sale. Everything is very carefully worded and marketed in such a way that the FDA doesn't have any jurisdiction over it. If one *does* get cracked down on, it means they crossed over the line into clinical or food territory, and the FDA more or less sits there with a giant banhammer waiting for it to happen. The FDA does reasonably well given what they have to work with in this regard. They do have plenty of problems, of course, but this is one area that I will give them props on - the second they can legally go after someone for a false claim, they do. If anyone recalls earlier this year, they smacked down CHEERIOS cereal after it claimed it was clinically proven to reduce cholesterol. Seems like a silly target to go after, but it more or less emphasizes the point that the FDA really does take it seriously - they just have to have jurisdiction to do so. (Basically, Cheerios claimed a clinically proven percentage of reduction for cholesterol, which becomes an active effect as a result of taking an active ingredient... cheerios. Effectively, their marketing campaign was applying drug-effects to a cereal based on unregistered clinical trials that weren't revealed to the FDA and hadn't been approved. In short: Cheerios had started claiming they were an anti-cholesterol drug and had never bothered with the FDA. So FDA whapped them with a fine and told them to drop the claim from their box or face even more fines and market removal.)

Edit: For clarification before anyone asks - I'm a scientist for a pharmaceutical company whose job regularly interacts with the FDA.

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Funny, informative and rather shocking, the placebo effect should not be underestimated though.
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

The Phantom

Postby The Phantom » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:27 pm

Still, a rather expensive placebo you're buying there :?

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:42 pm

The Phantom wrote:Still, a rather expensive placebo you're buying there :?

the more expensie the better ;), means your more certain it will work, after all cash equals quality. Or something.

Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

The Phantom

Postby The Phantom » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:47 am

It's true that a higher price adds to the credibility of the placebo. It's just...alot :?

Return to “Media Discussion”