Nativity Rant

Discussion related to Media
User avatar
Gothelittle Rose
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:55 pm
Location: Mirkwood
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby Gothelittle Rose » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:39 pm

My husband strongly favored homeschooling for our son, because my husband got hit with the ADHD label and bounced around Special Ed on Ritalin getting a comparatively poor education despite his high IQ. Luckily my mother homeschooled me for several years (I'm a hybrid of all three school types, public, private, and homeschool) so I pretty much know how to do it. :)

I hear you on the financial/time issue! My husband's job provides for the family, while I do what I can working a couple of very flexible part-time jobs (currently a math tutor for one hour each day) while keeping the house and taking care of the kids. As you might guess, 'taking care of the kids' means a lot when you don't send either of them to daycare or school... plus with our finances being so close, I need to keep a close watch on spending and saving.

Good luck and here's hoping that the opportunity may open up soon. If you catch them earlier, they can do much more. My son, being a boy, isn't especially naturally gifted in reading. He's already reading two grades above his age level.

Off topic, I'm afraid. :P Can I find an on?

The religion vs. cultural vs. secular is one of those really funny subjects where it's probably best for each and every person involved just to give as much grace as they can. In this case, I'd favor an opt-out for the religious portion of the program, so that they could do a nativity if the school so desired, but nobody would have to participate. I'm being a little stubborn on this just because I've known of several cases in which every single student wanted to participate in a student-led prayer before a sports event and the school still tries to prevent them. There have also been problems in which students want to create a student-driven Bible study group and their problem is that an adult must oversee it and none of the teachers are allowed to do so. As i said, it's a funny subject. :)
"Who are you, yourself, alone and nameless?" - Tom Bombadil

User avatar
[FnG] James
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:43 am
Location: USA

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] James » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:10 pm

I see I'm a bit late to this one... mostly because I steer clear of political discussions like the plague.

I just want to chime in and say that although I am a follower of Christ (don't like being labelled "Christian" becaue I solidly believe that megachurches and hypocrite pastors have ruined that term), I do agree with Hanno in that public schools should not teach any particular viewpoint, they should just stick to teaching reading, writing, math, things like good manners and respect and character wouldn't hurt either as todays youth is severely lacking in that area.

Here where I live, we had one of those schools that had kids singing praise songs to President Obama (search youtube if you don't know what I'm talking about)....

We also had protesters here who forced our local k-12 school to remove a nativity scene and every cross on Campus, not too bad right? Well, it seemed a little one sided, since Hanukkah and Islamic symbols were perfectly allowed. :rolleyes:

While we are coming at this from different sides of the fence, I believe we are both trying to reach the same goal.
Game-name:
«mæstro»{FnG}

User avatar
[FnG] Hanno
Posts: 2721
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Devon , SW UK
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:27 am

[FnG] James wrote:I see I'm a bit late to this one... mostly because I steer clear of political discussions like the plague.


Probably wise.

Gothelittle Rose wrote: In this case, I'd favor an opt-out for the religious portion of the program, so that they could do a nativity if the school so desired, but nobody would have to participate. I'm being a little stubborn on this just because I've known of several cases in which every single student wanted to participate in a student-led prayer before a sports event and the school still tries to prevent them. There have also been problems in which students want to create a student-driven Bible study group and their problem is that an adult must oversee it and none of the teachers are allowed to do so. As i said, it's a funny subject. :)


The problem is this, is how do I tell my six year old that she is not allowed to do a Christmas play if 3/4 of the class is doing it?
She loves singing and acting etc so no way would this work. Nativity plays should be run from Churches, and have a non religious
play in Schools there is no other option that I can see that is fair.

On the second point, I agree with you as long as its outside school time - the students should be able to use a room/hall etc
and get a parent/church member to oversee it.

[FnG] James wrote:I just want to chime in and say that although I am a follower of Christ (don't like being labelled "Christian" becaue I solidly believe that megachurches and hypocrite pastors have ruined that term), I do agree with Hanno in that public schools should not teach any particular viewpoint, they should just stick to teaching reading, writing, math, things like good manners and respect and character wouldn't hurt either as todays youth is severely lacking in that area.


I agree with that and have feel that schools should try and impart a basic moral code (non regiously specific) as many parents don't.

Although based on the Christian Golden rule - "do unto others as you want done to yourself" works pretty well in any situation.
And should be encouraged as a life outlook. (unless your a masochist)
Image
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Mez
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:44 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] Mez » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:29 pm

Yup, teaching morals & ethics can be entirely separated from personal belief systems. And Church and State should always be separate, so that it's tolerant to all.

But Xmas is the awkward one as it can be seen as a generic-midwinter-solstice-festival-tradition, and trying to call it "Winterval" just doesn't work :)

Anyway, perhaps I can be the first to wish everyone Happy Darwin Day for Feb 12th !!

:crown:

User avatar
[FnG] Hanno
Posts: 2721
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Devon , SW UK
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:49 pm

Mez wrote:
But Xmas is the awkward one as it can be seen as a generic-midwinter-solstice-festival-tradition, and trying to call it "Winterval" just doesn't work :)

Anyway, perhaps I can be the first to wish everyone Happy Darwin Day for Feb 12th !!

:crown:



Ive noticed people look at you strangely if you say winterval ;-)

And Happy Great Apes day to yourself ;-)
Image
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

User avatar
Gothelittle Rose
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:55 pm
Location: Mirkwood
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby Gothelittle Rose » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:00 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:Although based on the Christian Golden rule - "do unto others as you want done to yourself" works pretty well in any situation.
And should be encouraged as a life outlook. (unless your a masochist)


As long as it isn't replace by the version I hear more often nowadays: "Do unto others as they do unto you"! :)

A lil more seriously, though, we can't take entire credit for that rule... it's pretty nearly the same in a multitude of ancient and modern religions and cultures. It's a good rule of thumb.
"Who are you, yourself, alone and nameless?" - Tom Bombadil

User avatar
[FnG] Hanno
Posts: 2721
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Devon , SW UK
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Hey ding dong - its that time of year again!

:cheerleader: ITS NATIVITY CRAZINESS! :cheerleader:

This year Erin is a narrator - so we get a note from school saying
"Your child has been chosen to be a 'Narrator' in our school Christmas Play.
We would like you to provide a costume for your Child's Character...."

Now what does a Narrators costume looks like? Of course we don't even know what the play is and
the children have been sworn to secrecy, BUTI was thinking of Orson Wells as a good Narrator but I googled it:

http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&pws=0&tbs=isch:1&&sa=X&ei=M03qTJS4F5K0hAfil-gP&ved=0CCIQBSgA&q=what%27s+a+narrator+costume%3F&spell=1

And it gives some really good ideas! Somewhere between Jack the Ripper and The Lion king looks good. :tease:


....
On a totally different threa but concerning my antireligious views on this.
Last night we were watching the adaptation of "Pillocks (pillers) of the earth" on TV and at
the end it had an overview of Salisbury Cathedral. And I said "oh look I used to go to School there"
and Andrea said "In the Cathedral?" Well yes actually. Our school was in the close but we didnt
have a hall big enough for assemblies so we had our assemblies in the Cathedral once a month.
It wasn't until recently that I realised that there was a religious element to my schooling.
The fact thats the schools name was Bishop Wordsworth and we had our assemblies in one
of the biggest churches in the country never really clicked with my, I didn't even notice!
Image
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

User avatar
[FnG] Hanno
Posts: 2721
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Devon , SW UK
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Yes we have just come through that awful time of year again.
Apart from a couple of disagreements and sending Erin to her room to practice her 'religious' songs we made it in one piece.
Erin was an Angel , but unfortunately her wings fell off, so I now refer to her as the fallen angel.

Next year I am proposing to the school that they incorporate the following song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMQ_7OFtiY
Image
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

User avatar
[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin
Posts: 4974
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:34 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:14 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:Yes we have just come through that awful time of year again.
Apart from a couple of disagreements and sending Erin to her room to practice her 'religious' songs we made it in one piece.
Erin was an Angel , but unfortunately her wings fell off, so I now refer to her as the fallen angel.

Next year I am proposing to the school that they incorporate the following song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMQ_7OFtiY



:mrgreen:
Image
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

User avatar
[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin
Posts: 2519
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:45 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:41 pm

:lmao:
_______________________________________________
"I am not a complete idiot . . . some parts are missing " :crazy:

ImageImage
Image

User avatar
[FnG] N!MRoD
Posts: 755
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 pm

:D Cheered up my day, thanks Hanno!
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

User avatar
[FnG] Hanno
Posts: 2721
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Devon , SW UK
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Its not that time of year quite, but I just happened to see this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akExo7kVsUU
Image
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

User avatar
[FnG] Unholy Eve
Posts: 1009
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Blyth, Newcastle
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Don't panic me by bringing this topic up, I thought it was that time of the year again XD
Image

User avatar
[FnG] Hanno
Posts: 2721
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:16 pm
Location: Devon , SW UK
Contact:

Re: Nativity Rant

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:09 pm

[FnG] Unholy Eve wrote:Don't panic me by bringing this topic up, I thought it was that time of the year again XD


I bought my xmas pudding last Friday, but Erin wouldn't let me mincepies yet.
Image
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.


Return to “Media Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest