Your best and worst movies of the year?

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Lazz

Your best and worst movies of the year?

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi all

So as we come to the end of 2009, I can't help but find myself looking back at all of the movies of the year and working out which ones were the greatest and the worst.

Greatest:

Star trek - A fresh start done incredibly well
District 9 - Lots of origionality. Great effects and a story which reflects on the human race in general
Zombieland - A great action comedy about zombie killing. Need I say more?

Most surprisingly good

G.I. Joe - Thought this would be like watching power rangers. It wasn't. It didn't take itself seriously so it didn't feel cheesy and was almost constant action.

Biggest dissapointment

Terminator: Salvation - I expected this to be average but it was barely even that. I don't think its really possible for them to go anywhere new with the franchise that would work with the audience.

Worst:

Land of the Lost
Year One

For these two movies, especially year one, if you watch the trailer for it and get a few giggles, you dont need to see the movie as all the jokes are in the trailer.

I've heard lots of good things about Avatar, but I haven't seen it so I can't comment on it.

Whats your best, worst, biggest surprise and most dissapointing movies of the year?

[FnG] Hanno

Re: Your best and worst movies of the year?

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:25 pm

Sin-e-ma?

I haven't been to the cinema to see a film since Erin was born nearly 6 years ago.
(come to think about it I havent been on holiday either)

Every so often I sign up to Lovefilm and catch up on the best latest DVDS but havent even done that lately.

I am looking forward to watching the star trek film though ;-)
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Great Idea Lazz! I've been going to the movies once a week on average so I'll have to dig.

Best movies of 2009:
1: Watchmen - A film noire movie based on a graphic novel (where have we seen this before? Oh yeah... Sin City). It worked back then, it works now! Great stories, great characters, great setting.
2: Up - Most unlikely hero ever. Such and adorable kid and of course a talking dog... SQUIRREL!
3: Avatar - A late contender, great visual effects and a solid storyline makes this one of the best movies of 2009, and it might even appear in the top 10 of the decade. My girlfriend doesn't agree with the #3 spot on this list however, she wants it high, higher, highest.

Biggest surprise:
Star Trek - I'm a real fan of the franchise (especially Deep Space Nine) and was a real skeptic about the prequel (as I am about any prequel), however I was pleasantly surprised by how this turned out. I liked the plot, the characters and hope they'll be making new movies and hopefully even a new series set in this new alternate time-line.

Unsung Heroes:
Taken
Inglourious Basterds
The Boat That Rocked (Radio Rock for you US'icans)
Gamer
And possibly many, many more!

Worst movies of 2009:
1: The Happening - the new 'movie' by M. Night Shalalala. The one and only movie this year that made me want to get my money back (and I don't even pay for individual cinema visits). Also there is a scene where a plastic plant out-acts Mark Wahlberg.
2: Max Payne - A movie based on a game (I know what you're thinking). The game was praised for its use of storytelling in a film noire style, let me tell you the trailer for Watchmen was more Film Noire than this entire thing ever was. Also the slow-motion effects were a major part of the gameplay, it was only used after about 40 minutes and only two or three times in total throughout the entire movie. Sure they shouldn't use it like I did in the game (slow-mo diving through every door) but there were some sequences that could definately benifit from Bullet time (also biggest disappointment of the year, I have no idea how you can ruin such a great story).
3: Dragonball Evolution - No... just... no...
Image Image

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:37 pm

The only 2009 movie I saw was Star Trek, which I thought was excellent.

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:22 pm

Emu is still so incredibly in shock of Max Payne and The Happening that he forgot those movies are from 2008 :P
And although I agree with Taken being awesome, that one is also from 2008 ;)
To add to the awesome list is also Public Enemies, Monsters vs Aliens, Iron Maiden: Flight 666 :rockin: I also liked X-Men Origins: Wolverine, just because Hugh Jackman is awesome as Wolverine. The Hangover was a very good comedy. Gran Torino reached Dutch theaters in 2009, so I'm counting that one as well :D And one more: Law Abiding Citizen :)

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:18 pm

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote:Also there is a scene where a plastic plant out-acts Mark Wahlberg.

:lmao: :lmao:

Actually I should have listed Gamer on my worst movies list. Far too much fast cutting. I think the longest the camera stayed in the same place without cutting was 4 seconds.

[FnG] Yasmin
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Yasmin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:33 pm

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote:3: Avatar - A late contender, great visual effects and a solid storyline makes this one of the best movies of 2009, and it might even appear in the top 10 of the decade. My girlfriend doesn't agree with the #3 spot on this list however, she wants it high, higher, highest.

I agree with her :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
Should be nr 1 on the list :P , it really is best movie ever. . . .IMO. :cheerleader:

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Lazz ain't too far off,

Best
District 9: Excellet all round.

Zombieland: Perfect post pub film, won't win awards but was exceedingly enjoyable.

Surprising
Up: Yes it's a kids film but, none the less, good story, well thought out plot, good 3D in a non gimicky way.

Terminator 4: Unpopular choice I know. I like it in retrospect, at the time I felt like McG had punched me in an ally and I was having something borderline illegal being done to my person up against a dumpster, the sort of thing the police would not belive and my insurance policy would not cover. But in retrospect, it's what I expected, crap, explosive, Bales Batman voice was I'll grant very annoying, but Worthington was excellent and I enjoyed the visuals greatly, nice colours and at least it wasn't T3.

Worst
Watchmen: Laughably bad, the sex scene - bit in the sky with the flame thrower had the whole audience in laughing into their hands. No wait that was weeping. About half the people left, I only stayed to get my monies worth.

Transformers 2: Dear me. Oh dear indeed. If I am ever put through that film again heads will roll. poor plot, weak jokes, average action, annoying characters, oh yes and Michael Bay fellating himself with glee at he fact he was being paid for some reason.
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 pm

[FnG] pyxie.T32 wrote:Transformers 2: Dear me. Oh dear indeed. If I am ever put through that film again heads will roll. poor plot, weak jokes, average action, annoying characters, oh yes and Michael Bay fellating himself with glee at he fact he was being paid for some reason.

+1
Image Image

The Phantom

Postby The Phantom » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:41 am

[FnG] pyxie.T32 wrote:Transformers 2: Dear me. Oh dear indeed. If I am ever put through that film again heads will roll. poor plot, weak jokes, average action, annoying characters, oh yes and Michael Bay fellating himself with glee at he fact he was being paid for some reason.

+1 indeed.

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 pm

Transformers 2 was great!!

Sorry guys :)
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:58 pm

[FnG] Sphinx wrote:Transformers 2 was great!!

I'll +1 that :D

[FnG] Neecap

Postby [FnG] Neecap » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:10 am

Liked:
Hurtlocker - Intense and thought provoking warmovie about the unexplainable urge some people have to seek out lifethreatening situations, even if they have a family and a stable life at home, and everything to loose.

Terminator: Salvation - Surprisingly entertaining no-brain-required action movie.

Inglorious Basterds - Tarantino at his best, need i say more?

Sherlock Holmes - Alright, they butchered the source material in true hollywood fashion, making a mockery of Doyle's classic character. But.... I kinda liked it nonetheless. What can i say, im a sucker for action comedy!

Huge "meh"
Avatar - Nice effects, but the story was so clichee i just couldnt take it.

Star Trek - Mediocre action movie.

Angels and Deamons - Yes,yes i get it, theres alot of secrets in the vatican bla bla -oh nice explosion!

Disliked:
Watchmen - Like a 19 year old daddys boy in a ferrari and with a new haircut, this movie was too self absorbed to offer any real entertainment beyond the obvious action and effects. It did not do the comic justice at all.

The Unborn - *facepalm*

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:50 am

Besides Star Trek, I remember I did see a couple of other 2009 movies:

I Love You, Man - appalling.
Drag Me to Hell- not Sam Raimi's finest moment, but OK.
The Men Who Stare at Goats- barely average, and not nearly as good as it should have been.
Crank II: High Voltage- terrible, but in a fun way.

Here are the 2009 movies I'd like most to see:

Sherlock Holmes (because I like Sherlock Holmes)
District 9 (because I like alien movies)
The Lovely Bones (because I like Peter Jackson)
The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (because I like Terry Gilliam)
Knowing (because I like Alex Proyas)
The Informant (because I like Steven Soderbergh)
Moon (because I like Sam Rockwell)
The Invention of Lying (because I like Ricky Gervais)
Zombieland (because I like zombie movies)
Up (because I'm almost positive it's good)

Movies I'll see eventually:

The Hangover (because I'm a sucker for that type of movie)
The Final Destination (because I can't stop watching this franchise for some reason)
Solomon Kane (because I like Robert E. Howard)
The Haunting in Connecticut (because it's in Connecticut)
The International (because I like Clive Owen)
Taking Woodstock (because I heard it's good)
Coraline (even though that animation style really annoys me)
Halloween II (because Rob Zombie's pretty good)

Movies I will never see:

Brüno (because I don't really like those "embarrass people" movies)
Jennifer's Body (because it got terrible reviews from people who like the same stuff I do)
The Last House on the Left (because the original was gut-wrenching enough for one lifetime)
Paul Blart: Mall Cop (just because)

[FnG] Mez

Postby [FnG] Mez » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks for these lists everyone - it's easy to completely miss releases if you don't live anywhere near a cinema.

Anyway, I always wait for DVD, as I can't stand being surrounded by the munching masses! And as for 3D....bleh !!

So, I'll stick these on my list of DVDs to buy then (once they're cheap of course :))
    District 9
    Inglourious Basterds
    The Invention Of Lying

Anyone have any opinion on that there "Surrogates", or has anyone seen "The Road" yet ?

Return to “Media Discussion”