Your best and worst movies of the year?

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Re: Your best and worst movies of the year?

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Surrogates: Entertaining, but don't expect a Shakespearian plot or anything... ;)
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:39 am

[FnG] Zuh wrote:Here are the 2009 movies I'd like most to see:
District 9 (because I like alien movies)
I can pretty much promise you're going to find this extremely groovy. It's such an excellent idea — and the lead actor (Sharlto Copley) does an outstanding job of being a cheerful corporate bigot whose world gets turned upside down. It manages to be an action film, a sci-fi film, a comedy and a morality play, all at the same time. Often that's too many hats to juggle, causing less-than-desirable results. But here the mix works.

[FnG] Zuh wrote:The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (because I like Terry Gilliam)
Gilliam used to be an 'automatic' purchase for me, but after he struggled quite a bit with The Brothers Grimm, I'm waiting for reviews and a rental, first.

[FnG] Zuh wrote:Knowing (because I like Alex Proyas)
I can't warn you away from this too strongly — it's just awful. I think we talked about Cage's string of crazy-bad sci-fi films? Well, here's yet another silly, over-the-top scenery-chew-fest, which actually impugns the good name of "Stinkburger" while managing to be surprisingly boring, to boot.

I don't know how much goodwill Proyas has engendered with you (Dark City was very cool, while I, Robot was an affront to Asimov fans), but maybe wait for The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, the Heinlein project he's working on, instead?

[FnG] Zuh wrote:Moon (because I like Sam Rockwell)
This is out today on DVD. I'm itching to see it too. Probably an iTunes rent.

[FnG] Zuh wrote:Up (because I'm almost positive it's good)
Forget the 'almost' — it's superb. Clever story ideas and really charming and funny, most all the way.

[FnG] Zuh wrote:Movies I'll see eventually:
The Hangover (because I'm a sucker for that type of movie)
Me too. This was a hoot, yet wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped (based on all the hype). It's often very funny, has a good plot that unwinds backwards, but it's not the next Young Frankenstein or Monty Python and the Holy Grail, or even There's Something About Mary, as we'd been led to believe.

I think I enjoyed Role Models just as well, maybe liked the characters a bit more (love Ken Jeong, and he's funnier in this, has more to do). The live roleplay D&D stuff with the kid from Superbad (McLovin) was excellent. But the absolute BEST comedy I've seen in the last couple years, for me, has to be Fanboys (2008). That was beyond awesome, laughed so hard it hurt. Lots of geeky nerd in-jokes, comin' atcha fast an' furious. Has many hilarious cameos, btw.

[FnG] Zuh wrote:Movies I will never see:
Paul Blart: Mall Cop (just because)
Smart man. Oh and good point, thanks! This helps explain Knowing better; please see this before you see Knowing. Do yourself a favor.

+++++++++++++++

My 2 cents on Lazz's thread topic:
I agree with Neecap about Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds — wow, just got this and it's going to get replayed a lot. Dunno if it's Tarantino's very best, but he's certainly "back," with a strong damn cinematic statement. Such great dialogue and I love all the play with languages and subtitles — great fun. Although he's very good in it, Brad Pitt's almost the least interesting thing in the film, FWIW. Great international cast of top-shelf actors and more film-within-film movie references and homages than you can shake a stick at.

Watch it, if for no other reason, to see Christoph Waltz's astounding performance (in fluent German, French, English and Italian). Somebody mark the tape; you heard it here first — Waltz will be nominated for the Best Supporting Actor academy award, and he will win it. (Check it on Mar. 7, 2010)

Of course it's got trademark Tarantino gunfire and cajones in it, too.

"Lt. Aldo Raine: Actually, Werner, we're all tickled to hear you say that. Frankly, watchin' Donny beat Nazis to death with his baseball bat is about the closest we get to goin' to the movies. DONNY!
Sgt. Donny Donowitz: [offscreen] Yeah?
Lt. Aldo Raine: We got a German here who wants to die for country! Oblige him..."

Let's see, I can vouch for Up being great.
Haven't seen, but plan to see Avatar and Sherlock Holmes.
I'm still nervous about Holmes being directed by Guy Ritchie, but maybe he's turned over a new leaf,
having demonstrated the good sense to leave Madonna.

I thought a couple of romantic comedies were pretty good — Sandra Bullock's The Proposal was fun and amusing.
And despite some negative criticism, The Ugly Truth was pretty darn funny. Note, though, that it has an adult rating.
And that's what I liked, actually, seeing the normal soft rom-com genre flick done with very naughty language indeed.

Your mileage may vary,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Mez

Postby [FnG] Mez » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:08 pm

[FnG] LcNessie wrote:Surrogates: Entertaining, but don't expect a Shakespearian plot or anything... ;)

Lol - such is Hollywood - I'll skip that one then.

Although it can't be less appealing than "The A Team" trailer I just sat through... :lmao:

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

The A-Team is going to be awesome, period! :D

aximon

Postby aximon » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Last year I liked the most:
Star Trek (seeing Sylar playing Spock was hilarious & weird at the same time. Still a nice movie)
District 9 (surprising twists and turns)
2012 (mainly for the special effects -- incredible beautiful destruction)
The Hangover (“here's your car, officers” lol)

Ok films:
Half Blood Prince (solid production. too bad this scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTga5VJARyA) didn’t make the final cut)
Crank 2 (fast, action packed & because I watched Part 1)
Inglourious Basterds (interesting dialogues)
Law Abiding Citizen (strong start, weak ending)
Gamer

Bla:
Rise of the Lycans
Watchmen
Transformers 2
GI Joe
Final Destination 4
Wolverine

Looking forward to watch:
Sherlock Holmes, <strike>Gamer & Avatar</strike>
Last edited by aximon on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The hedgehogs can never be buggered at all."

BoobTube

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks as always for the tips, Kril! :D

Alex Proyas got a lot of good will from me for Dark City (and some for The Crow, and none for I, Robot, which was not very good even if you discounted the un-Asimovness and thought of it as a straight action flick). Certainly not enough good will for me to say "I will like Knowing despite Kril's warning." Sounds like a dog. I didn't know Proyas was working on a film adaptation of Hoag; that could be really good. One of my favorite Heinlein stories. I just want to see a bunch of people do the "Sons of the Bird" sign. :laugh:

So, to sum up: Paul Blart: Mall Cop it is! Thanks, Kril. If I don't like it, I'm comin' to get choo ... :crazy:

I enjoyed Role Models, basically for the same reasons you did, so I figure I'll like The Hangover.

Adding Inglourious Basterds to the watch list, as well as The Proposal, The Ugly Truth, and Hurt Locker, which I forgot about ...

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:40 pm

[FnG] Zuh wrote:So, to sum up: Paul Blart: Mall Cop it is! Thanks, Kril. If I don't like it, I'm comin' to get choo ...
:rolf: :rolf: Fair enough.

[FnG] Zuh wrote:Adding Inglourious Basterds to the watch list, as well as The Proposal, The Ugly Truth, and Hurt Locker, which I forgot about ...
Good point — Hurt Locker is probably the biggest deal we haven't been talking about in this thread. It's going to vie for Best Picture and probably several other categories. It's on most everyone's top five of 2009. (note: those two rom-coms aren't in the same league as Basterds or Hurt Locker — just saying they were fun, is all.)

It's also worth mentioning Crazy Heart should probably be on any best of '09 list. Early talk is Jeff Bridges may grab the Best Actor statue for his portrayal of a has-been country singer, weathered by alcohol, playing dives and honky-tonks for a 'living.' One critic said it's "this year's The Wrestler." (Bridges is one of the very best actors not to have won big trophies. I still think he should've been nominated for his outstanding work in Gilliam's The Fisher King and then again for a tour-de-force in the Coens' Big Lebowski. He just killed in Lebowski.)

The other one we seem to be missing is Jason Reitman's edgy Up In The Air with George Clooney. That one looks really interesting and dark, high on my 'To See' list.

@ Aximon: I forgot about Half Blood Prince. I thought it was very well done, certainly visually, but with each successive Potter film, I'm more and more convinced you need to have read the books to make any sense out of the films. (I've read the books, so I know what's what. But I can't imagine trying to make head or tail out of what's going on in #s 5 or 6, especially with how much stuff is being cut to keep them a reasonable length.)

--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:The other one we seem to be missing is Jason Reitman's edgy Up In The Air with George Clooney. That one looks really interesting and dark, high on my 'To See' list.

Yes, I will certainly see this, possibly even in the theater ... :shock:

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:@ Aximon: I forgot about Half Blood Prince. I thought it was very well done, certainly visually, but with each successive Potter film, I'm more and more convinced you need to have read the books to make any sense out of the films. (I've read the books, so I know what's what. But I can't imagine trying to make head or tail out of what's going on in #s 5 or 6, especially with how much stuff is being cut to keep them a reasonable length.)

I couldn't agree more with this. The books are just too long and complicated to make movies out of. It worked okay up until Goblet of Fire, but frankly I don't see anything good coming out of trying to shoehorn a 900-page novel into a two-hour(-plus) movie. I'm still amazed at how well Peter Jackson did with Lord of the Rings.

Talking about Jonathan Hoag is fortuitous, because to me the ideal length of a written work to translate into a movie seems to be a long short story or a novella. I gives the writer enough room for character development, but not enough to make the plot super-dense and hard to understand when adapted for the screen.

aximon

Postby aximon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:38 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:@ Aximon: I forgot about Half Blood Prince. I thought it was very well done, certainly visually, but with each successive Potter film, I'm more and more convinced you need to have read the books to make any sense out of the films. (I've read the books, so I know what's what. But I can't imagine trying to make head or tail out of what's going on in #s 5 or 6, especially with how much stuff is being cut to keep them a reasonable length.)

So far I liked the movie to Order of the Phoenix the best. I’ve not read the book yet but I remember seeing this 1000 pages “brick” sitting on some shelves, intimidating the other books. I read the last two books of the series though. And yes, it seems the more the movies improve visually, the harder it gets to still tell a good/the original story. In the end it’s the eye candy that people are going to remember the most anyway ;)
"The hedgehogs can never be buggered at all."

BoobTube

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:51 pm

[FnG] 7uh wrote:The Men Who Stare at Goats- barely average, and not nearly as good as it should have been.

Me and the Groningen contingent of FnG went to see this movie at the cinema this evening and... Ehm... Zuh, I am going to have to go ahead and disagree on you with that one. In fact, I'm going to have to go and kick/ban you from the forums... Barely average? Are you kidding? That movie was BRILLIANT! I haven't laughed that hard in public since we went to Hot Fuzz!

I mean, where else do you hear the phrase "They were never seen again. I guess that's what happens when you fly a helicopter, tripping on acid"?

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 pm

[FnG] LcNessie wrote:I mean, where else do you hear the phrase "They were never seen again. I guess that's what happens when you fly a helicopter, tripping on acid"?

I don't know, maybe in my back yard after a holiday party? :crazy:

Seriously, though, I really thought this was really average. And this was a movie I was all ready to love. I like all the major actors, and I'm usually kindly disposed to anything with Clooney, Bridges or Spacey in it (and despite doing virtually nothing since then, I'm still giving Ewan McGregor points for Trainspotting and Shallow Grave). I didn't think Men Who Stare at Goats was very well directed, and the script was really haphazard.

I didn't want my money back after I had watched it, but I didn't think it was even remotely as funny as Hot Fuzz.

Seriously, you guys thought that was as funny as Hot Fuzz? :chin:

The Phantom

Postby The Phantom » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:51 am

It was a simple comedy with several good laughs :)

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:08 am

[FnG] 7uh wrote:
[FnG] LcNessie wrote:Yaddah yaddah men who stare at goats

Seriously, you guys thought that was as funny as Hot Fuzz? :chin:

No, I must admit, Hot Fuzz was better. But this is in my honest opinion the best next thing...

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:22 pm

[FnG] LcNessie wrote:No, I must admit, Hot Fuzz was better. But this is in my honest opinion the best next thing...

Say, that's it! Men Who Stare at Goats needed more gun-toting priests and model-village stabbings!
I thought the same thing about Taxi Driver ... :crazy:

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:09 pm

[FnG] 7uh wrote:
[FnG] LcNessie wrote:No, I must admit, Hot Fuzz was better. But this is in my honest opinion the best next thing...

Say, that's it! Men Who Stare at Goats needed more gun-toting priests and model-village stabbings!
I thought the same thing about Taxi Driver ... :crazy:

Ya know, you could be right! Let me call the producer... We are going to make a movie!!! :yahoo: :crazy: :tease:

Return to “Media Discussion”