NFL "Throwball" Playoffs 2010

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] 7uh

Re: NFL "Throwball" Playoffs 2010

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 pm

[FnG] Marksman wrote:How do Superbowls always manage to be that exciting?

In my opinion they don't, actually. They're often major snore-fests. This one was exciting, as was the Pats-Giants game two years ago, but when the AFC or NFC (or one team) has been really dominant, I don't think they're terribly good games. I mean, you can only watch a team beat on the Bills or the Broncos so many times.

Some of the older scores are a bit misleading - Pittsburgh beat the Cowboys 35-31 in 1979. Sounds exciting, no? Well, I can tell you that Dallas was never anywhere near winning that game. Pittsburgh dominated back then, the Cowboys, Patriots and 49ers all had their dynasties, and every so often you'd get this amazing team that no one was going to beat, like the '85 Bears or the '83 Redskins. I actually enjoy it a lot more that you see teams like the Cardinals and the Saints making a good run in the playoffs, or a wild-card team going all the way.

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Maybe I'm rose-tinting it slightly, but I do remember a few in recent times that I felt were really good games. What about the Pats/Panthers in 2004/5 (going on for 40 points in one quarter?! :shock: Blimey!), or New England again the season after? Or how about the Giants in Superbowl 42, beating a team with a perfect regular season record? Or the Titans coming up one yard short against the Rams in the last seconds of the game? Those were good 'uns.

You're right about the Cowboy Years, though. I don't think the Bills have recovered from those repeated bulldozings yet. :Beye:
ImageImage

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:57 pm

[FnG] Marksman wrote:Maybe I'm rose-tinting it slightly, but I do remember a few in recent times that I felt were really good games.

Well, I noticed you were talking about recent games, and I keep talking about the 70s ... maybe it's just that you're younger and the Super Bowl's been getting more exciting ... :greyguy:

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:18 am

I think Marksman's got a point— we have had a tremendous run of excellent Super Bowls recently.
However, Zuh's got a point too — historically, they've often been lopsided snooze-fests.

This one was great. Last year's Cardinals/Steelers was excellent (27-23).
'08 Giants ruining the Pats perfect season (17-14) was phenomenal.
'07 Colts/Bears and '06 Steelers/Seahawks... both kinda meh.
'05 Pats/Eagles (24-21) was good.
'04 Pats/Panthers (32-29) was superb.
'03 Raiders/Buccaneers (48-21) snooze-fest blowout.
'02 Patriots/Rams (20-17) was fantastic. (esp. if you like Pats' cheating)
'01 Ravens/Giants (34-7) just awful. Impugned the good name of 'snooze-fest.'
'00 Rams/Titans (23-16) was super exciting, closer than the score suggests.

So seven of the last 11 were really good, with only two real stinkers. That's quite lucky (for us, the audience).

But once you go farther back, Zuh's doom and gloom reign supreme — quality games are actually few and far between.

We're living in a special time, sports-wise, getting to see some pretty amazing legends as they 'happen.'
(Michael Phelps, Roger Federer, Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Zidane, Ronaldinho, etc.)

Lots of great stuff going on these past few years — viva sport! :rockin:
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

Return to “Media Discussion”