NFL "Throwball" Playoffs 2010

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] JinX-D

NFL "Throwball" Playoffs 2010

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:39 am

I'm gonna go with Vikings, but the Cowboys played one kick-ass game versus the Eagles last week...

[FnG] Marksman

Re: The Great FnG Fantasy Football league – Fundesliga!

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:53 pm

As you guys both know, I backed the Vikes pre-post-season, as it were. Pre-post? Yeah, that. :stars:

But those Cowboys ... you've gotta like how they're playing right now. Tough defence could frustrate Favre and cause him to revert to that risk-taking mentality he's been prone to at other points in his career. On the other hand, if the Vikings can get Adrian P running again (how long is it since he had a 100-yards rushing in a game? Must be weeks) it could make life easier, and the Minnesota D isn't exactly a pushover, either.

Should be a good 'un.
ImageImage

[FnG] 7uh

Re: The Great FnG Fantasy Football league – Fundesliga!

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:09 pm

[FnG] Marksman wrote:As you guys both know, I backed the Vikes pre-post-season, as it were. Pre-post? Yeah, that. :stars:

Yeah, well, I was all fine with that until Minnesota put their big purple butts in the way of the Cowpokes ... :gripe: Now it's like, "Sorry, Mark, if large James Gandolfini-eque characters show up at your door about that little wager ... I'm still saying GO DALLAS!"
:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

NFL 'throwball' Playoffs 2010

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:09 am

[Due to miserable, thieving, thread-hijacking bastiches over in the Fundesliga thread,
we're breaking this throwball topic away from the (proper) football talk.]
:wink: just kidding, of course

This, then, is your 2010 NFL Playoffs thread. Discuss.

What has gone before — Wild Card Round:
  • Last week, Green Bay's "packer no. 1" defense shamed themselves, allowing 57-year-old Kurt Warner and the Cardinals to squeak by in a bizarre track-meet of a game, 51-45. Packers are out and Arizona Cards move on to New Orleans and the Saints.
  • The Cincinnati Bengals tried hard, but ultimately had no answer for the New York Jets stunting, blitzing defense. Bengals go home to watch playoffs on TV while the Jets are sent to San Diego to face the league's hottest team, the Chargers.
  • Zuh's infernal Cowboys (easily) bested the Philadelphia Eagles for the second week in a row, eliminating Metamucilnaut's green birds. Dallas moves on to Minnesota to take on 90-year-old Brett Favre and the Vikings.
  • The cheatin' New England Patriots got their clocks cleaned by a surprisingly effective Baltimore Ravens defense, peaking at the right time. Pats go fishin' and the Ravens head into Indianapolis to face Peyton "MVP again" Manning and his Colts.

Saturday, January 16 Games:
  • Arizona Cardinals at New Orleans Saints, FOX
    4:30 p.m. EDT, 3:30 p.m. CDT, 9:30 p.m. GMT, 10:30 p.m. CET
  • Baltimore Ravens at Indianapolis Colts, CBS
    8:15 p.m. EDT, 7:15 p.m. CDT, Sun. 1:15 a.m. GMT, Sun. 2:15 a.m. CET

Sunday, January 17 Games:
  • Dallas Cowboys at Minnesota Vikings, FOX
    1 p.m. EDT, Noon CDT, 6 p.m. GMT, 7 p.m. CET
  • New York Jets at San Diego Chargers, CBS
    4:40 p.m. EDT, 3:40 p.m. CDT, 10:40 p.m. GMT, 11: 40 p.m. CET

++++++++ BITS FROM THAT OTHER THREAD +++++++++

[FnG] Marksman wrote:Personally this weekend my eyes and ears will be on the NFC Divisional Round matchup between the Cowboys and the Vikings. Ssshh, don't tell the English-football people here. :wink:

[FnG] Zuh wrote:This should be a good game - as Kril may tell you, I am one of those insufferable Cowboys fans, having had the audacity to have been born in Dallas ...
Minnesota's offense vs. Dallas's defense ... Favre vs. Romo ... who will prevail? Hint: They have stars on their helmets. :cheerleader:

Carry on,
--kril out-- :partyhat:

[FnG] JinX-D

Re: NFL "Throwball" Playoffs 2010

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:32 pm

What I like about this thread, is that I started it..., with the idea, to make the American Football lovers among us stand up, unite and predict the last few games of the 09/10 season. A simple prediction is going to lead to so much more, probably discussions led by people who have knowledge and understanding of the game, are die-hard fans of the team, have money riding on this thang or just have a gut feeling...

My final four are:
Chargers
Cardinals
Vikings
and the surprise of the Superbowl: The Ravens

Final two: Chargers - Vikings :P

A mixture of gut feeling, some understanding of the game (I recently got promoted to Center form Right tackle, so what do I need to know?! :P) and some good ol' fashioned gut feeling

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm going to half agree with you there, Jinxy.
The Jets got into the playoffs by default ("...the two best words in the English language: Dee-Fault, Dee-Fault!!..." - Homer Simpson) and I don't think the Chargers will have too much difficulty seeing them off.

The Colts have got Manning and that's a huge plus, but Indy runs much deeper than that and as good as I think Baltimore are I don't quite think they've got enough to smother the Colts multitude of scoring options, so I'm going to go with them.

The Cards have been great in the post-season but they're going to be missing a couple of guys through injury and the Saints' homefield advantage is going to be tough to overcome. I'm 50/50 on this one but I'm going to forecast a narrow Saints win.

All fingers crossed for the Cowboys-Vikings game. I really do think the winner of that one could go all the way. Come on, Robo-Favre! :cheerleader:
ImageImage

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:43 pm

Really looking forward to tonights game, starting at 22.30 for me, anyone care to do some play-by-play chatting/talking tonight? :D

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:54 pm

[FnG] JinX-D wrote:What I like about this thread, is that I started it...,
Well done, sir. I don't care what Emu, LcNessie and Kahbouter keep saying about you — you are indeed the man. :razz:

This is, undoubtedly, the widest open NFL playoffs in 10-12 years. I wouldn't be terribly shocked for any of the current teams to make it to the Super Bowl. For me, almost all these games are "pick 'em" (effectively even).

Of course, I'm rooting hard for the Vikings and the Saints, but you can't deny the Cowboys and Cards each have a good chance of advancing instead. The only bet I'd make is that Cards/Saints will be another track meet. The Colts should take care of business with the Ravens on paper, but the Colts have a history of resting starters + bye week into the playoffs and then faceplanting in that first game. Will history repeat?

As for the Jets and the Chargers — yeah, Jets should lose, but they play with a hell of a lot of passion and heart. And stunts. And blitzes. Might be enough to rattle Phillip Rivers. And then there's the "Norv Turner Factor." However well the Chargers have been playing, Turner still has a definite knack (historically) of finding a way to lose close games at the last minute. It hasn't happened recently, so is he due now? Or has he shaken off that mantle of shame?

Bring on teh games!
--kril out-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:37 pm

Did you see that... did you SEE THAT?!?! Looks like Rice's run vs Patriots last week :P

[FnG] metamucilnaut

Postby [FnG] metamucilnaut » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:43 am

I was so thankful that I was far enough from Philly (Meta's home town) to diminish the hurt from the loss to the Cowboys. There's talk to trade McNabb and move Kolb to start. I think I'm up for that with the present receiving corps.
Go Aints! I think...

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:46 am

28-14 Saints with more than six minutes left in the first half, after a silly flea-flicker that caught Arizona's D napping. Oh dear.
Who said track meet? That guy's a genius.

:jester:
Image Image

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:00 am

Ok, switch out Cardinals with Saints :P Cardinals may put on a mean comeback every now and then, but they're not going to pull this one off :P
And switch out the Ravens with the Colts, I hoped for the underdogs to win :(

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:15 pm

Although I had my hopes up after that initial-play touchdown by the Cards, both of yesterday's playoff games were moderate yawn-fests. I still wince every time I see a replay of that hit on Kurt Warner, though. :cry:

I hope today's games are more exciting - but not too exciting ... :wink:

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:39 pm

<Mars Needs Women voice>

Cowboyz . . . must . . . lose.

</Mars Needs Women voice>

Go Vikings, right now,
:cheerleader:
Image Image

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:16 am

I don't care if he's a hundred and twenty, that Farve can throw!

Nice game, bit of a blow-out. That kicked is probably going to the wall of shame now (although 48 yard attempts are a bit optimistic). And how about that Vikings defense? 6 Sacks, 2 Fumble recoveries, 1 Interception? (lost a bit of sting with Edwards dropping out half way).

I'll just wait for that other game to play out and then we'll see who'll be up to lose from the Colts next week.

My prediction?
Vikings will beat the Saints next week and have a good shot at beating the Colts in the Superbowl. Even though Manning seems Part man, part machine...
Image Image

Return to “Media Discussion”