I bought a new book....

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Cooks

I bought a new book....

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Mon May 17, 2010 12:09 pm

... called '59 Seconds'. I very rarely read... A book a year would be too much, I can honestly say I've read 2, maybe 3 books all the way through in the past 5 years. But this one has caught my interest and fascinated me, and I'm actually really enjoying reading it - something I've not done in a while. It's like a 'Self Help' book for hapiness, creativity, motivation, stress, decision making... even parenting. But instead of just being 'Tell yourself you're awesome. Sit there and think about how awesome you are. Now go out and be awesome' it takes all the common tips & techniques and proves most of them wrong via research that has been conducted. It then sums up the reseach & facts into roughly less than a minute, hence the name. I'm intrigued and really into it... Think I've discovered a new hobby, and a new genre to read!

For example, offering little - no reward for a job or something produces better results from people. Thinking of your perfect self, in that perfect job, or sitting on the beach in the bahamas is more detrimental than better for boosting moral & happiness. Brainstorming alone is more creative than brainstorming in a group, and biting on a pencil & not letting it touch your lips will make you naturally enjoy something more, as it's forcing your jaw into a smiling position. Being given a problem, then watching a dot float around a computer screen for 10 minutes will help you solve the problem better than sitting there thinking about the problem for 10 minutes, as your concious mind is distracted, allowing your more creative unconcious mind to think about it. It's really made me think, and given me a lot of ideas.

Anyone else read any books that have given them that spark of interest, new lease of life, or just stood out from the crowd? :)

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Re: I bought a new book....

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Tue May 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Not a book in my case, but a BBC documentary quite some years ago about ww1. In one specific episode the presenter stood on a hil (lil grey guy with small round glasses, sadly do not know his name) in a forest and the whole hill was still covered in craters, shattered trees and pieces of concrete, and metal. Nearly 80 years later, nature still had not reclaimed that bit :chin:

It sparked an interest that lead me to visit the Dutch Waterline a few years ago (big string of "fortresses", intakes and bridges stretching from north to south across the middle of the netherlands dating between 1830-1870 to flood the east of the country with just enough water to be seriously annoying), and currently i'm investigating a trip around the Sallient of ieper to visit museums, landmarks and remnants of the fierce fighting that took place there in WW1.

How and when i will be taking that trip i really dont have a clue, since work is pretty much tying me up right now, so i dont even have a clue when i will have a summer break :(. I estimate doing that trip to Ieper will take me about a week since there is about 100km of frontline to explore there.

After that i don't know...Could be the dutch Ijselline (yes another set of bunkers to flood bits of land, this time dating from the 1950-60's ..we dutch love our flooding :P), or maybe the Atlantic wall, or the maginotline..and then there is the Somme, and prolly another 1000 places i havent evn discovered yet.

PS: no im not some wanna be soldier, guncarying idiot..its a "horrified" fascination for "recent" military history, why it happend, WTF happened and a HTH can anyone ever do this type thing.

PS 2: I dont like clean sterile museum about this subject with neatly pressed combat fatigues, and polished guns (though i hope to find lots of info in em), I want to see the remnants of those fields...the living, Joe the plummer , everyday history of it...if that makes sense ;)

Cheers
Rampy
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Hanno

Re: I bought a new book....

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu May 27, 2010 11:28 am

I can honestly say that no single book Ive read has changed my life or the way I think.

I've read quite a few philosophy/meditation/self help books but the main problem is I'm
lazy and I probably like being borderline commitable more than I do the thought of change.
So I remain the miserable crazy old git that I am.

saying all that I probably blame my odd liberal anarchist honour bound morality on reading too much
Robert Heinlien Scifi when I was a youth.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

Return to “Media Discussion”