World Cup 2010

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

World Cup 2010

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun May 23, 2010 5:01 pm

Only about three weeks away now — all eyes on South Africa. :beerchug:

Awesome Nike Football Ad!

If you have the bandwidth and time, view in high def at YouTube. Stunning. Made entirely of win.

:rolf: LOL at so many clever details. Most of the best bits are in Rooney's segment.
Love the quick shot of Landon Donovan and Tim Howard. Love that beard. Nice caravan, too.
And France's Frank Ribery replacing Rooney on his poster.

Favorite things are the printing of Rooney pound notes (may have to pause it to see),
his face on the cliffs of Dover and beating Roger Federer with his hand in his pocket!! LOL 2x.

Wow, can't imagine how much this thing cost. :shock:
It's a shame they spent all that money and Ronaldinho was left off Brazil's team. Doh.

The Ronaldo segment seems eerily like what probably goes on inside his head, heh. :D
Gotta love The Simpsons cameo.

Ronal-DOH!
--kril out-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Re: World Cup 2010

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Mon May 24, 2010 2:52 am

Yeah, it's that time a year again soon eh :) big bucks are spend on sweet commercials to keep us entertained while we're going for the freezer to ninja another cold beer :D

Anyway, I can only asume they totally missed the boat regardless of putting el dinho in. The only ones that can really go for glory, are forming the wall on the end.... I miss boats going through the canals in amsterdam while 80% of the dutch people are cheering them on (the other 20% are working to supply the 80% with beer and such ;) ) ...aaah, there's one for wishfull thinking :D

Ah well, still a few weeks to go :/

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Mon May 24, 2010 6:07 pm

So excited by the World Cup being just around the corner. :yahoo:

Can't wait for the atmosphere! Can't wait for the upsets! Can't wait for the wall-charts! Can't wait for the inevitable injuries / disciplinary problems for Wayne Rooney! :laugh:

I find I'm quite worried about the England players ahead of this week's pair of international friendlies. After Gary Taylor-Fletcher's injury during Blackpool's magnificent achievement at the weekend, I really am expecting someone to do an ankle, knee, cruciate ligament or, heaven forbid, meta-tarsal in the next few days on that Wembley pitch. Pleeeease no.

On a side-note, I was watching a stream of Australia vs. New Zealand this morning. Neither should trouble the bigger teams on that performance, it has to be said. Sorry.
ImageImage

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Tue May 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Someone hasn't been watching the massacre called the European Championship's group games. I'm pretty sure the Dutch would be in there if they had... Anyways, can't wait for this to start!
Image Image

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed May 26, 2010 2:46 pm

Never heard of it. cant be bothered to watch the video though and you dont say what sport it is.
By the looks of the wimpy guys in the video I think it must be Tiddlywinks ;-)

Seriously though - I've had enough even all the apples in the supermarket were from South Africa this week!
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed May 26, 2010 4:06 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:you dont say what sport it is
True. (unless you count the giant bold "Football" right above the video...)
:pan:

[FnG] Hanno wrote:I've had enough even all the apples in the supermarket were from South Africa this week!
Three weeks before it starts you've had enough? Mwahahaha, boy are you in for a hard ride — it'll get much, much worse before it gets better.
Now, off with you, Negative Nancy. :tease:
Out of here! Go on. Shoo!

:bedrime:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu May 27, 2010 11:23 am

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:
[FnG] Hanno wrote:you dont say what sport it is
True. (unless you count the giant bold "Football" right above the video...)
:pan:

DOH - I can't read big writing :crazy:

Football is one sport which I would prefer to play rather than watch.
Well to tell the truth I would prefer to be doing most things rather than watch it.
I think I'll unplug the tv for the next month and sit in the garden with a book instead.

:bedrime:
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Thu May 27, 2010 10:07 pm

Interesting article over here in the Voetbal International (magazine) comeing from Raymond Verheijen (a class physio active as freelancer, helped in Man City's training schedule, with russia etc.). He noticed that Ancelotti put men on researching the impact of heights on the players.

Overall the concensus was that it's wisest to set up camp high (Johannesburg - 1700M ish), based on data from the more endurance sports. He's done research on the matter too, and found out that it's probably the best to set up camp at around 1100m from sealevel. This advise went to the south korean team also and they got a hotel in the same area as (surprise) England. Rugby apparantly is used to the situation and beter comparable to football (obviously) then cycling, swimming and such (which most other teams base theyr location on). It's all about the red blood cells that get created more when your on height, but if you go too heigh, you'll have the disadvantage of more or less tireing your body. So we can mostly expect less entertaining matches later on because players are less explosive and can do fewer actions each match (and have less training intensity) because they've been at 1700M for too long.

It's crazy tough, some stadiums are at sea level, and others (3) are at 1700+ height with plenty inbetween.

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:37 am

The height thing will probably screw the Dutch the most being the lowest lying country ever, England although not famed for its mountainous terrain is slightly higher, and countries like Argentina should not suffer from the height based disadvantage too much at all.
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:02 pm

That's why they've been training in Austria for about 2 months now. Also most players in the Dutch national team play in England, Spain, Italy and Germany. The height will be a sonnovvabiznit for any team playing. Not because of the height per se but because of the great difference between the several cities/stadiums. Apparently moving from to high an altitude (like Johannesburg) to a sea level altitude really breaks you up.

But we will see, my prediction it's The Netherlands vs. Germany in the final, with the Netherlands kicking the German behind... after that the Netherlands will officially be declared a disaster area I think as it is going to, quite literally, explode.
Image Image

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:31 pm

[FnG] pyxie.T32 wrote:The height thing will probably screw the Dutch the most being the lowest lying country ever, England although not famed for its mountainous terrain is slightly higher, and countries like Argentina should not suffer from the height based disadvantage too much at all.

Not really that much of a factor, it matters when you go above 1500 km height, between 0 (or below) and 500m height from sealevel isn't that big a deal. It's all about the humidity of the air and the intake of oxygen in the bloodstream.

Anyway, the freshest apparant factor seems to be the ball, there's a factor that does actually make it easyer for the dutch since the ball isn't too reliable over distance, the short passing game gives squads an edge. This piece of plastic happens to have characteristics that are alike a beachball apparantly, so that should be interesting, we'll be seeing lots of long shots :D

[FnG] Mez

Postby [FnG] Mez » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:12 pm

They just keep making the ball lighter and lighter - it should make for some great long-range GOOOOAAAAALLLLLs!

I'd just love the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" to play the "Republic of Korea" at some point (!), but as long as the USA stuff England in their first match, that'll get my entertainment going.

And perhaps Spain or Argentina to lift that iconic trophy at the end, without going to penalties hopefully.

Wallchart, Tennessee whiskey and snacks are on standby :)

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:30 am

[FnG] Mez wrote:I'd just love the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea" to play the "Republic of Korea" at some point (!), but as long as the USA stuff England in their first match, that'll get my entertainment going.

The North Koreans tried to pull a fast one and boost their attacking game by sending an extra striker in as a No. 3 substitute goalie, but FIFA said they can't use him outside of the goal unless there's a "serious injury." Keep an eye out for some poor North Korean player to "accidentally" break a leg, Escape to Victory-style. :shock:

[FnG] Mez

Postby [FnG] Mez » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:52 pm

[FnG] 7uh wrote:"accidentally" break a leg, Escape to Victory-style

Haha - if they've got any sense they'll all have a mass break-out from their compound and claim asylum. Otherwise they're risking a quiet disappearance when they return.

:whipping:

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:47 pm

ESPN the magazine had Ivory Coast as the other team besides Brazil to advance in its group ... now I'm thinkin' that will be Portugal ... :wink:

Return to “Media Discussion”