World Cup 2010

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] 7uh

Re: World Cup 2010

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:21 pm

[FnG] «°èXé°» wrote:Well, I don't think that the referee handed out unjustified yellow cards... It was not a very fair game, in the first 60 minutes or so at least. I was actually surprised that the sending-off did not happen until the extra time.

Yeah, I agree. I thought the kung-fu kick at the very least should have been a red card.

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:33 pm

[FnG] 7uh wrote:
[FnG] «°èXé°» wrote:Well, I don't think that the referee handed out unjustified yellow cards... It was not a very fair game, in the first 60 minutes or so at least. I was actually surprised that the sending-off did not happen until the extra time.

Yeah, I agree. I thought the kung-fu kick at the very least should have been a red card.

You're giveing de Jong too little credit on this, he has shown overtime that he's more then capable with getting away from true judgement in these cases. For unknown reasons in general, he has a habit of going mental in a tackle, but in this case i'm clueless what he was thinking (probably just went red in front of his eyes).

In the meantime I do wonder tough if Webb played the advantage rule more then once the whole match :). The card pulling nontheless was mostly thanks to us playing hard.

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Heitinga's cards, or at least one of the yellow cards wasn't really justified and also the ref could've easily given a free kick for Elia who was being harrassed by two Spanish players..., instead he waved on...

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:49 pm

Dont get me wrong, I dont think he was that great, but with a different ref we wouldn't have won either :)

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:30 am

Is it over yet?

Can I come out again? :woot:
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:08 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:Is it over yet?

DUCK, HANNO! VUVUZELA!
:couch:

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:46 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:Can I come out again?
Sure, come on out . . . BBBRRRRRRRRBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRBBRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

My sympathies to the Netherlands on their loss, but I think the better team probably won.
I was rooting hard for Holland, but alas. :|

I don't have as much of a problem with the "Total Foulball" tactics as many of the media pundits seem to — it was what they thought gave them the best chance of winning. It was clearly by design, since all of them were doing it (not just Van Bommel), and they kept at it. They were going to take their chances with the ref/cards and hope they could mess up that dominating, keep-away passing of Spain. And it largely worked. It just wasn't enough.

I agree with Paranoid, another ref wouldn't have helped; there was always going to be a boatlaod of cards if the game plan is to kick lumps out of the other team. A hell of a test for Howard Webb, who tried hard to hang in there. You hear about a record 14 cards and think omg, the ref's just lost it, but IMHO Webb had little choice in each card he gave, and nearly all his mistakes were in not giving more cards — there really should've been more! :shock:

He was in a no-win situation — if he'd sent off De Jong and/or Van Bommel in the first 30 minutes, as he arguably should have, then he would've been blamed for ruining the Final by making 9- or 10-man Holland chase 11-man Spain for 60 minutes...

(Certainly Spain weren't innocent either, as they ran at the ref and whined like babies over every perceived foul, real or imagined, for most of the game.)

All the cautions made the game very tense, waiting for that second yellow-card-shoe to drop. I was all set for a penalty shoot-out, but it's a shame the orange D couldn't stop the Navas—>Iniesta—>Fabregas—>Navas—>Torres—>Fabregas—>Iniesta-POOM break. It's also a shame that came after Webb failed to properly award a corner kick at the other end. :|

And of course, Torres managed to do his groin in the seven seconds he played — so he comes freshly Pre-Injured™ for your Premier League fantasy team next month. :rolleyes:

How does Webb not see how high that boot is? They say his view was shielded? Wha-?

We talked about the Nike ad curse, but for me that's been the story of the World Cup — how almost none of the big names did much of anything. The headlines came almost entirely from non-'names'. Diego Forlan was fantastic and the German kid Müller was a revelation, but what of Ronaldo, Drogba, Rooney, Kaka, Messi, etc.? Boo on the big names for wasting their cup appearances.

Ooh, and England has just gotten its worst-ever World Cup ranking. Nice work, Three Lions.
Somewhere, Sven-Goran Eriksson is smiling quietly to himself.

That's my post-cup wrap-up 2 cents, FWIW. YMMV, void near Torgo,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 am

[FnG] 7uh wrote:
[FnG] Hanno wrote:Is it over yet?

DUCK, HANNO! VUVUZELA!
:couch:

Yep those things ought to be banned under the Geneva convention.

I did try hard to avoid the football, but made two hideous mistakes.
My first was being in Germany on the day of the Germany vs England match .... DOH
And the second was on my way back again being stuck on a train on the day of the German Semi final match with a load of drunk German supporters.
The only thing that could be worse was if they English supporters with Vuvuzelas! :stars:
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:52 am

What, is the ethereal, mellow hum of the vuvuzela not to your liking? :|
Well in that case, you might enjoy this:

URL in case I've wrecked the above link (using a shared PC at work and it doesn't even have Flash installed! :shock:) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KHFA6ZuFTE

EDIT: Fixed your Flash movie. You need to use the special "embed URL" YouTube gives underneath the video, not the page URL. fyi —Kril
ImageImage

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:30 pm

[FnG] Marksman wrote:Blenderman

I have to say I laughed out loud at the guy's expression at 0:54.

"Quiet smoke - don't breathe this." :laugh:

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Been a while since I saw that in action, but that seems like the perfect end of a disappointing WC.

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:35 am

Cheers Kril, info duly noted. :thanks:

Maybe we should have found something symbolic of the World Cup final match and blended that. In that sense I suppose destroying a vuvuzela is perfect. :laugh:
ImageImage

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:52 am

Speaking of destroying vuvuzelas, my club is first in with the BANHAMMAH! Woot. :woot:

Tottenham first Premier League club to ban vuvuzelas

No BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRZZZZ! at White Hart Lane, thanks.

Go Spurs Go! :thumbup:
--kril out-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:50 pm

NY Yankees beat you to a month or so ago. :yahoo:

Return to “Media Discussion”