World Cup 2010

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Re: World Cup 2010

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:51 pm

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote:Come on Clockwork Orange!

Yes, I'm getting patriotic now :P

We're always chauvistic if it comes to "Oranje" - we'll take 'm easily ;)

Anyway, Nike's biggest fail was brazil since that was build around Ronaldinho who didnt even make the "Selecao". And the dutch are in it, they tackled Ronaldo (Whonaldo? Haven't seen him this WC).

[FnG] «°èXé°»

Postby [FnG] «°èXé°» » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 am

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL wrote:Anyway, Nike's biggest fail was brazil since that was build around Ronaldinho who didnt even make the "Selecao". And the dutch are in it, they tackled Ronaldo (Whonaldo? Haven't seen him this WC).

True. And I completely agree on Ronaldo.
To be precise, Spain and South Korea are also in there but merely as extras.
:-)

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:49 pm

[FnG] «°èXé°» wrote:Time to look back at the Nike ad I think :brow:

Côte d'Ivoire (well, tough group) - out
Italy (we don't need to talk about this one) - out
England (Rooney was more like in that trailer park shot I guess) - out
France (we don't need to talk about this one either) - out
Portugal (have you seen that Ronal'duh guy somewhere? :neutral:) - out
:D That's hilarious, and interesting.
I was just reading about the supposed Nike ad 'curse' today.

Following up on °èXé°’s fine work, let's look at the individual players in order of appearance:
  • Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)
  • Fabio Cannavaro (Italy) <— cup-holders crash out in group stage!
  • Wayne Rooney (England) <— U-G-L-Y, you lose
  • Theo Walcott <—not-on-team fail!
  • Patrice Evra (France) <—EPIC fail
  • Franck Ribéry (France) <—EPIC fail
  • Landon Donovan (USA)
  • Tim Howard (USA)
  • Andrés Iniesta (Spain) Still alive
  • Cesc Fábregas (Spain) Still alive (dodgy bench time)
  • Gerard Pique (Spain) Still alive
  • Ronaldinho <—not-on-team fail!
  • Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)

Wow, given the near-total Nike devastation, Roque Santa Cruz and Paraguay gotta like their chances vs. Spain, eh?

Well, it's official — with no Trinidad & Tobago and USA!USA! crapped out already, I'm officially supporting the Netherlands.

Go (weird) big orange!
Elano is out for Brazil, in case that helps tomorrow.

All-South American final four? Anyone?
--kril out-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:36 am

*Crosses fingers* Here's to hoping!

Brasil is the clear favourite in anyone's eyes (except maybe about 32 million Dutch eyes, or 16 million sets :P). To draw on similarities with previous World Championships. Every time we blew the world's socks off in the opening group stages we were dishonorably discharged before getting to the finals. Famously last time when killing Italy, the reigning world champion, (3 - 0) and slaughtering France, the reigning european champion, (4 - 1) before mopping up Romania (2 - 0)... Then we ran into Czar Guus and got whipped (3 - 1). In the golden years of Orange football (1974) we had a slow start, went on to win from Brasil with something now called 'Total Football' and were awarded the nickname 'A Clockwork Orange' for the first time. Of course we later weren't able to take out West Germany for the title, but still it shows promise. As the Dutch we all know it could be over by 17.30 local time, but we also know that there is a chance, a big chance, that under this pressure, under these conditions, against this opposition, the Orange 11 will flourish, will flower and will show us once again what it means to have a Lion's heart.

ROAR!!!

I predict 2 - 2 in regular time with a silver goal for the Netherlands in overtime.
Image Image

[FnG] «°èXé°»

Postby [FnG] «°èXé°» » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:58 am

Good luck to the Dutchies - kick'em out!

This will generate some more confidence that Germany can beat Argentina and we will have the final - Netherlands vs Germany. :woot: Looks clear to me who would win that... :P
But that's just what I hope... :worship:

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Brazil just took a leisurely stroll through our defence (sans Mathijssen) and put one past Stekelenburg to write up the 0 - 1 in favour of the Blue canaries. What the hell was that? Because it sure wasn't defending Ooijer! :P

Anyways... another 45 minutes, another chance. Time to get even and then some.

Go Dutch Pride!

Also, how come that they only need a breeze to fall down on 80% of the field but are impossible to bring down when they come near the box? That's World Class soccer in South America I'd say. The ref should rain some yellow cards on their diving championships.
Image Image

[FnG] «°èXé°»

Postby [FnG] «°èXé°» » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Woohoo! Congratulations! :beerchug:

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:07 pm

Nailed it :np:

Some luck that we didnt go in 2 / 3 - 0 down at halftime. Kaka probably allready counted it as one of his finest goals ever with a curling shot destined for the upper-right corner, but what a safe from Stekelenburg! Not quite comparable with Julio Cesar's display today :D

Anyway, I allready had high hopes when the second half started and the brazilians started by giveing the second ball after the kickoff directly to one of our guys and it went uphill from there.

Waarin een kleine man groot kan zijn :D

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Big congratulations to the men o' orange! Didn't look so good in the first half, but they siezed the opportunities in the second half.
Holy poop, what a shocking capitulation and crumble from Brazil.

That corner from Robben, off one head (Kuyt?) and then in by Sneijder was supremely sick!
Two thumbs up. :thumbup: :thumbup:

:muaha: LOL! Idiots.

Uruguay vs. Ghana up next today and the primo Argentina vs. Germany tomorrow, wewt for good games,
--kril out-- :partyhat:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:47 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:That corner from Robben, off one head (Kuyt?) and then in by Sneijder was supremely sick!

The most famous Dutch sports commentator, Jack van Gelder, used the following line in the radio commentary: "He's only 22 centimetres tall but he still heads it in!" Then he went on to say that we could start unpacking our stuff, as a retort he co-commentator said "I hadn't packed yet, Jack".

Now both Ghana and Uruguay are making each other tired, broken, beat and scarred so that's all in our advantage, I'd say :) :thumbup:

Next stop Green Point, Cape Town... hear us roar :wink:
Image Image

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:20 am

Uruguay it is! What a drama at the end!!!

A handball in the 121st minute or so, preventing a sure goal causing a red card and a penalty to safe the day. I'm guessing Suarez is a hero there now, a true footie martyr - allowing them into the semi-finals and Asamoah into ruins (Kudo's to him tough, stepping up to the spot nailing the first of the series after that dramatic miss in the extra time).

Ah well, things are looking good for "Ons Oranje" :D

[FnG] «°èXé°»

Postby [FnG] «°èXé°» » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:31 pm

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO! :beerchug:

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Germany (whom are on fire) will be facing Spain (who where disappointing this last match) in the Semi-finals. With their history only 2 years ago Spain must like its chances against this new Germany, although it must be a bit frightening seeing them play against Argentina. If Spain is up to spec it could be a very nice game indeed, if they falter like they did this evening they'd be on the receiving end of at least two goals.

So Spain or Germany up against The Netherlands in the final on the 11th.

We can have 'em
Image Image

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Still not happy following dismal England loss, made only slightly less traumatic by the fantastic way in which Miroslav Klos-ing-In-On-Yo'-Scoring-Record et al. despatched the Argies. Most unexpected but my word ... fantastic football. :shock: :worship:

I was saying just the other day that this, for me, has been the least enjoyable World Cup I can remember (courtesy of stoopid, over-rated England, rubbish defensive football from everyone + their accompanying dogs for over a week, and then THOSE RUDDY HORNS... :gripe: ), but it's getting a whole lot better as of this weekend.

:)

Holland - Germany final, anyone?
ImageImage

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:04 pm

If Spain performs to theyr ability, the germans are goners. Still, they haven't really dont that yet, then again - theyr just might when they get quality against them. Should be an even match with the experience & quality advantage to Spain and the form advantage to the germans. Anything is possible :) - I'm just happy that of the 3 other semi-finalists, we meet Uruguay who are missing Suarez and most likely wont be playing Lugano either. :woot:

Return to “Media Discussion”