Postby [FnG] Lambik » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:26 pm

This series are starting up coming Monday on the dutch TV,
does any one know if it's any good ?
Previews I have seen are funny.

ImageImage

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Re: The Big Bang Theory series

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:01 pm

To put it short - yes. Still waiting for the next serie of episodes to go on air again, but I very much advise watching it. It's 4 nerds and a blonde that make up the main characters with plenty of mentioning of games, comics and whatnot, plus the usual bandwagon full of comedy writers that fill up an episode with a good jokes-a-minute ratio that dutch comedy attempts mostly fail at.

[FnG] Neecap

Postby [FnG] Neecap » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:22 am

I was fun for an episode or two, but it failed to keep my interest as many of the jokes are really simple, overplayed and well, not that funny.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Watched all episodes and loved every single one of them. We had a ritual of watching it with the three of us (JinX-D, my Girlfriend and me) and we are almost always having a blast. Then again I've told you all this yesterday :wink:
Image Image

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:06 am

I'm sort of torn halfway between Neecap and Rotten Emu —
Big Bang Theory is cute and sometimes very funny,
but also often pretty plain and predictable. (imho)

The jokes often work, but not always.
And I've sometimes been unconvinced by the actors — they don't seem enough like real nerds.

On the other hand, it's become something of a hit in the U.S., and is now entering its fourth season on CBS.
(4th series for you in U.K.)

This may well be one of those where you must decide for yourself. Videos follow:

This clip here is very funny (imho). Loved it.
(Video would not allow embedding. :|)
If the show was consistently that good, I'd be a huge fan.

This clip is OK, cute:

This clip is intensely unfunny (imho):

Let us know what you think, :D
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:57 pm

While I do agree with the funniness of the clips scaled like that I still found the last one funny. The thing is that most jokes if taken out of context become less funny. The best thing about the second clip (the first embedded clip), for example, is that Raj is afraid to talk when Penny (or any woman, except his mom) is talking to him. This is the first episode in which they find out that Alcohol lessens his social anxiety and allows him to talk and also takes a stab at the 'psychological' aspect of the bar tending job.

The last clip is a lot funnier in the context of the entire episode because the Lie, (in this case the glue sniffing addicted cousin from Sheldon) gets build up over time because Lennard doesn't want to go to the musical Penny is starring in because she really can't sing. The initial lie (going to a symposium) doesn't sit well with Sheldon because apparently it's full of easy to spot holes. So he fabricates about three lies on top of it to make it fit again, making up his drug addicted cousin' Leo in the process.

In both cases the jokes are funnier than the sum of its parts because there is a 20 minute build up (in the last case) or even a five to six episode build up in the first case. The first clip shows an opening scene and as such is funny in and of itself.
Image Image

[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:10 pm

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote: (in this case the glue sniffing addicted cousin from Sheldon) gets build up over time because Lennard doesn't want to go to the musical Penny is starring in because she really can't sing.

Plus the added value of the peculiar character that is Sheldon and how he copes with such situation doesn't really work in a short clip.
Anyway, I do agree with you on this one Emu :D

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:52 pm

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote:most jokes if taken out of context become less funny. The best thing about the second clip (the first embedded clip), for example, is that Raj is afraid to talk when Penny (or any woman, except his mom) is talking to him. This is the first episode in which they find out that Alcohol lessens his social anxiety and allows him to talk
This is true, and a good point. You need 'show knowledge' to get the joke's full impact.

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote:The last clip is a lot funnier in the context of the entire episode because the Lie, (in this case the glue sniffing addicted cousin from Sheldon) gets build up over time because Lennard doesn't want to go to the musical Penny is starring in because she really can't sing.
Fair enough. To be honest, I had not seen that third clip's episode, so probably should not have commented. (I had seen the other two though.)

Interestingly, Jim Parsons just won the Emmy Award last night for Best Lead Actor in a Comedy Series for the role of Sheldon Cooper. :shock:

Well, there you have it, Lambik.
Guess it's time to start watchin',
--kril out-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:41 am

The Emmy is well deserved :D

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:13 pm

I have been watching some episodes, and they're good fun :lollipop:
Jim Parsons indeed won well deserved that Emmy :star:

Thanks for the info :worship:

I am enjoying the series :thumbup:

ImageImage

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:43 pm

Delayed reaction.

Now we've actually got a nice new telly we are catching up on some old series and started watching this by chance.

I would class it as mildly amusing but it does have a few laugh out loud moment in each episode.

I would second the fact that the Nerds don't seem Nerdy enough and the fact they have a better social life than we do
is slightly more worrying. But then a series about true nerds would be pretty boring if they sat in a darkened room
playing on PCS all the time.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

Return to “Media Discussion”