I went ahead and did it... LRP S8 BX 2

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

I went ahead and did it... LRP S8 BX 2

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 am

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about: I bought another RC car. A fuel powered one this time.
It is still in the mail, but I expect it to arrive somewhere at the end of this week or during the next week.

After that, I will still have to acquire some accessories to actually be able to use it, such as the fuel, a fuel bottle, some oils (filter oil, post-run anti corrosive oil...) and probably a power pack or two, but even then, I can't wait for it to arrive!

Take into account that I didn't have any time off during the holidays, so I'm still entitled to time off during the coming months, I know what I am going to spend my time on... :rockin:

Here's the link to the manufacturer: http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/rc-cars/1 ... r/details/

I hope the image below works...

*edit: It' s actually the buggy, not the truggy, so it's an S8 BX 2, not an S8 TX 2*
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Re: I went ahead and did it... LRP S8 TX 2

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:58 am

It looks cool, but where you do attach the keyboard & mouse and how much RAM goes with it ? :jester:

I have heard there are actual championships for these kind of cars, and special tracks to race on.
(but chasing the cats in the neighborhood is good fun too :P )

Be sure to have it fully loaded when we visit next, because we have to see and hear it in action :rockin:

:lollipop:

ImageImage

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:10 pm

[FnG] Lambik wrote:It looks cool, but where you do attach the keyboard & mouse and how much RAM goes with it ? :jester:

I have heard there are actual championships for these kind of cars, and special tracks to race on.
(but chasing the cats in the neighborhood is good fun too :P )

Be sure to have it fully loaded when we visit next, because we have to see and hear it in action :rockin:

:lollipop:

I don't know where to attach the keyboard and the mouse, but the RAM goes up front, spikes and all... :twisted: :mrgreen:

Yup, there's a club in Appingedam at a stone's throw distance from my place. I'm really considering to join it, if it were only to be able to let this thing out in a designated area. It is just not safe to play with these things in the street, even though it is a residential cul-de-sac.

A quick demonstration around the house should be no problem, I think.. :wink:

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:56 pm

I got a petrol one to...to bad i havent got antwhere to really run it (used to run in the park in Rotterdam but there you always get disturbed by kids and grownups with dogs asking silly questions :P )

Joining the RC club is probably a good idea, not only will they know where to best run it but will also provide with al the knowledge to keep it running (fast) :P

Cant wait to see a cam mounted on it :)

Cheers
Rampy
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:02 pm

emm Petrol you say.... :slaphead:

Must be flaming fire hoop jump time! :crazy:
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:35 pm

It does look fairly cool Nessie - how fast will it go? Lets face that's the most important thing :P
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:46 pm

I don't know. But considering my electronic model touches 75km/h, and the electronic version of this one touches 85km/h, I think on a long straight, about 100km/h, give or take 10...

That is, if the engine is properly ran in, tuned and maintained... And the rest of it as well, of course..

edit:

Advancing insight in the matter has made me come to the conclusion that Nitro cars are actually slower than (racing grade) electros. It touches 65km/h, but that's fast enough...

Electros can, in fact, touch a 100 or 110 km/h, but that speed comes at a cost of torque and the danger of overheating your electrics...

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Cool 100Km/H - now all you need to do is make a number plate for it and go and get some speeding tickets :mrgreen:

You can just imagine their faces down at the offices where they distribute the speeding photies :lmao:

You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Very cool, just one thing - assuming you hit 100, how far before it's out of range and you have to start running after it? 6 maybe 7 seconds?
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:10 am

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:16 pm

Blow into the tube, don't suck on it! And how does that fuel taste? :P

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:22 am

The nitro powered car i have i never needed to force the fuel up the system..i guess things have changed :)

As for it running rough...whatever you do, keep in mind, better to rich , never to lean!!! Those little 2 stroke engines will burn up real quick when run to lean (they are frickin fast lean though LOL)

ps: Arent you supossed to connect a battery to the glowplug before starting or wasnt that visible in the video :P (diggs up his old lead sealed acid battery)

Cheers
Rampy

PPS where the next video!! :slaphead:

@Hanno: The remote controls are quite powerfull...id say 500 meters without problems (depending on buildings, electric power cables etc etc of course ;) )

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:40 am

The tube from the fuel tank to the engine is quite long. This is by design. If the car rolls over, the engine doesn't immediately stall because of starvation.

I watched a plethora of youtube videos explaining the workings of these little sowing machines. Yes, they all agree. Lean bad, rich meh, slightly rich good...

Yes, you are right, the plug needs to be connected. However, there are quite handy tools for that nowadays that kinda look like a big screwdriver or perhaps those piezo stove lighters, if you will:

These are powered by a single 1.2V NiMH sub-c cell, instead of the old system with a single lead battery cell. Those do still exist, though.

When breaking in the engine, I accidentally drove my RC car into the front wheel of my Volvo. Because of the cold, the plastic lower wishbone of the right wheel snapped off like a toothpick. I do have some footage of the run, but much of it is blocked by shoddy camera work. I might be able to make a movie out of it, but not until mid next week, sadly...

Once I have some decent footage, I will post that up here. I hope next week will be a tad warmer, though. Freezing conditions just are not good for getting these self-igniter engines starting, especially with a pull-start...

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 am

You drove it into your volvo!!! How dare you..poor volvo!!!

*throws down gauntlet..defend urself sir!*

Be happy it only broke the wishbone :P

PS : I recognise the clip, mine is just connected to a very sturdy ...grey (of course) lead battery ..its all about powah rawr rawr

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Re: I went ahead and did it... LRP S8 BX 2

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:47 am

Another vid...

Return to “Media Discussion”