Breaking my promise — Wisconsin legislative crisis

Discussion related to Media
[FDG]Sundae

Re: Breaking my promise — Wisconsin legislative crisis

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:03 am

I am happy to see that Sumi is sticking to her guns, and I certainly hope that she smacks down some contempt charges on Fitzgerald with what he's pulling right now.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Ready for your head to explode?

Maine lawmakers (republicans of course) propose bill to create a new, lower minimum wage for people under the age of twenty and to eliminate the cap on hours schoolchildren are permitted to work.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/03/ ... for-teens/

Remember, Missouri already did this earlier this year, and on top of that made it illegal for the state department of labor to ask businesses if they are employing children. The Regressive Party is actively trying to bring us back to the early 1900s.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:06 am

I heard an interview from an indy-media journalist with a UN staffer that in the back rooms at the UN, they refer to the US as a new type of country: Not developed, or developing, but undeveloping.

Yes, Sumi is doing her job. It's also amazing that we're pleasantly surprised when a judge does her job. So unlike some other judges, who are notorious for not doing their job. The latter I fear is the new norm.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:41 pm

That being said:

FFS GO VOTE FOR KLOPPENBURG TOMORROW. DO NOT LET PROSSER INTO THE WISCONSIN SUPREME COURT.

That is all.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:06 am

It's sad that those folks have made the judicial branch into just another tool - ironic that they're the ones that coined the term "activist judge." But it is what it is.

On a happier note. THIS is why I love Wisconsin: Follow the clicky for some good, wholesome uppermidwestern fun ... and BRAAAAAINSSSSsss!

Some day, I'll be worthy of living in a place like this. Unless it goes down the crapper. (Fingers crossed for no crapper.)

Oh, for the record, Prosser is on the supreme court now. He's the incumbent. There's a 7 year term: He was first elected 7 years ago. In the last 7 years, the high court has become politicized. "Justices" stab each other in the back. Prosser has called his fellow judges "bitch" when they vote against him, and threatens to "destroy" them. Most everyone who observes the court these days calls it dysfunctional. I guess it's one of the reasons we got to this point.

The fact that I didn't know know this the last 6 years, but know it now -- and there are millions of others who've woken up in the last several weeks -- is a very good sign, I think. The fact that there are Koch-funded ads everywhere -- and guess who they support? -- is the counterweight. In 24 hours, we should know.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:31 am

As of this post, Prosser leads 51% to 49%. Several counties that are going heavily for Kloppenburg have not reported all precincts, but if I'm doing the math right, it won't be enough. Wisconsin falls to the Kochs. Despite it all.

There's some happiness to be found in a bottle somewhere.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:50 am

Hold off on the liquor. Waukesha just reported an extra 60ish precincts as turned in without an increase in votes. This is looking more promising than you think.

(Plus Kloppenburg's up 8,000 votes as of this post.)

EDIT: 10,000 now as of my hitting refresh on TMJ4. :lol:

Edit #2: 19,000...

Edit #3: 35,000...

Edit #4: 2,000... I should really go to bed, but I can't stop refreshing!

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:43 am

Nope. Dane county's all in, and Prosser has a 500 vote lead. Still lots of precincts from heavy populations of uncomplimentary people. S'all she wrote.

Braaaains.

Edit: Looks like both candidates are planning to call for a recount. Expect that mess to start Friday or Monday. But - it never should have been a close vote. I mean really - go figger.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:34 pm

Yep - a 350 vote margin with 99% of precincts reporting is ridiculous. Wow.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:54 pm

The AP reported a 580-some vote margin this morning. The last precincts are expected to skew toward Kloppenburg. Nuts. N-V-T-S nuts. Now come the "hanging chads" arguments and what-not. But again, one side has billionaires and unlimited funding, and a huge financial windfall if they succeed. The other side has mortgages, real jobs and families (but granted, all of which may be at risk, so backs are against the wall: a strong motivator).

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:22 pm

[FnG] Torgo 3000 wrote:The AP reported a 580-some vote margin this morning. The last precincts are expected to skew toward Kloppenburg. Nuts. N-V-T-S nuts. Now come the "hanging chads" arguments and what-not. But again, one side has billionaires and unlimited funding, and a huge financial windfall if they succeed. The other side has mortgages, real jobs and families (but granted, all of which may be at risk, so backs are against the wall: a strong motivator).

The turnout was incredible this year. 1.4M voters for a court position? (Yes, court positions are incredibly important, but they usually garner no attention whatsoever.)

Early spending indications put the total spending at over $5M so far, but I haven't found a good breakdown other than the largest donor for Prosser putting in $2.2M and the largest for Kloppenburg putting in $1.4M.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:42 pm

140 vote difference now. Wow.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:33 pm

It's clearly going to a recount, but Kloppenburg has pulled ahead. :D

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:12 pm

One precinct not reporting, in a county that went roughly 60/40 for Prosser. That should net Prosser about 100 votes, but he's down by about 230. So it actually looks like Kloppenburg (and not the guy who promised to be a knee-jerk rubber stamp rather than an actual judge) will win by something far less than a margin of error.

Recall to commence as soon as the official paperwork is complete, which I understand takes 2-3 days. Probably Friday or Monday the Kochs will flood Wisconsin with lawyers and such, or perhaps with cash to pay the indigenous opportunist lawyers. But really, no matter who would have won by that margin, it would be foolish not to call for a recount. Only Al Gore or John Kerry would ever be that foolish.

Also, allegations of fraud will start to come in. I've already read some opinions (which is all it is at this point) that Milwaukee County, coming in at 57 to 43 for Kloppenburg, was suspiciously below the level of support expected for Kloppenburg based on exit polls and opinion polls the week leading up to the election. I'd have to see the analysis to have an opinion myself, but really, would it be farfetched to assume that the Koch Group Of Politicians (K-GOP: See what I did there?) would bend the law & be openly in contempt of judicial rulings, hand off state money to out of state interests while seeing the state being flooded with out of state money for campaign ads, and then NOT pull out the stops to win an election so important by any means necessary? It would be illogical for them to say (amongst themselves, of course) that "we'll go so far to pursue our agenda, but we'll stop short of actual election rigging." There are Diebold voting machines in Wisconsin, if that provides any ideas about likely avenues for shenanigans.

And of course, we'll hear about Union Thugs(tm) coming down in their flying saucers to beat up the little old lady poll workers to stuff the ballots for Kloppenburg. And the media will say "there are allegations of fraud on both sides."

And after typing that all out, STILL that last precinct in Jefferstick County hasn't reported in. By the way, I have a brother there - a retired Jefferson County employee who's soon to be eligible for Medicare. Guess I'll be taking care of him out of my shrinking income pretty soon. But I digress.

====================

Oh, and by the way - yes, this turnout is more than double the turnout for either of the last two spring supreme court elections - but STILL only about 1/3 of eligible voters.

The actual direct campaign spending was limited to $400k each - it was a publicly funded campaign. But the Citizens United ruling made that a moot point, as money can be indirectly solicited for campaign ads, anonymously, from people, organizations or corporations.

I misspoke yesterday - Supreme Court terms are 10 years, not 7. There are 7 justices. The very long terms make resignations fairly common, so governors often appoint replacements to finish out terms. Prosser was originally one of those in 1998, and won an election the first time he came up for one in 2001. He had previously been a top dawg in the Wisconsin state legislature.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Congratulations on the preliminary victory. I'm seeing reports that the last precinct is in.

Of course, now to survive the recount. Freepers are doing their usual whinefest, but guess what? I can deal with that. Today is a good day.

Oh, and Glenn Beck got fired. I am quite pleased.

Return to “Media Discussion”