Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Euro 2012 — Fantasy + Chat!

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu May 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Image Image :?: :!:

UEFA EURO 2012 Friday, June 8 — Sunday, July 1

Quick Facts!
  • 16-team tournament between qualifying European national teams.
  • Held once every four years. Staggered with the World Cup. [2008 Euro, 2010 Cup, 2012 Euro, 2014 Cup, etc.]
  • Matches held in Poland and Ukraine, this year's host nations.
  • Similar to World Cup in format — a group stage played on a table (like EPL), followed by a knockout stage.
  • Group stage — four groups of four teams. Top two teams advance, bottom two are out.
  • Scoring on table is like EPL — 3 points for win, 1 point for draw, 0 for loss. (goal differential for ties)
  • Play each of the other sides in your group (three matches), so there are a possible 9 points to be had on the table (a perfect score).
  • Knockout stage begins June 21, ends with Final on July 1. See chart below for dates/bracket.
  • Possibly the XXXest, most fXXXXXty (alternative sexuality) mascots in history
  • Wayne Roonpig has himself PRE-BANNED for the first two England matches... :laugh:

Euro 2012 Venue Cities

Euro 2012 Group Stage: June 8 – 19

Euro 2012 Knockout Stage: June 21 – July 1

Funky official UEFA Tournament Calendar (clicky)

Power rankings of the 16 sides heading to Poland and Ukraine
From Bleacher Report — pretty good write-ups and ranks for all the teams. Ukraine is your patsy.
(not sure I'd rank Russia that high, but ok. Germany/Spain may be closer to 1 and 1A than 1 and 2)

But I Don't Know Any of the Teams!

Of course, you'll know the entire, confused, manky England team by heart, no matter who Hodgson starts or sits.
But you'll be surprised how many of the doodz on the other national teams you actually know — a function of the
English Premiere League being the tip-top, bestest league in the world, where most everyone wants to play.

Glance at some random national teams:
  • You'll know almost the entire provisional France squad (non-Ligue 1 players)

Defenders: Gaël Clichy (Man Citeh), Patrice Evra (Man U), Younès Kaboul (Tottenham), Laurent Koscielny (Arse), Adil Rami (Valencia), Philippe Mexès (AC Milan).
    Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye (Newcastle), Florent Malouda (Chelski), Samir Nasri (Man Citeh).
    Forwards: Hatem Ben Arfa (Newcastle), Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich).
    (Bacary Sagna of Arsenal would be in there, but he just broke his leg vs. Norwich)

• You won't know hardly any of the do0dz on the Croatian national team, but you'll still be pleasantly surprised to see Nikica Jelavic (Everton), Luka Modric, Niko Kranjcar and Vedran Corluka (all Tottenham). (You might've also seen Ivan Klasnic (Bolton), but the national coach just dropped him.)

• Netherlands EPL players: Michel Vorm (Swans), Tim Krul (Newcastle) [who will start?], John Heitinga (Everton), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham), Nigel de Jong (Man Citeh), Robin van Persie (Arse), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool)

• You won't recognize anyone on the Czech Republic team... until you see the goalie — Petr Cech from Chelsea (hat!).

So, no Clint Dempsey (U.S.) and no Luis Suarez (Uruguay), but still lots of familiar faces/bastiches/divers. :D
Don't think you know anyone on the Italy team? Watch asshat Mario Balotelli (Man Citeh). See? :wink:

_______

Top Five Stories to Follow at Euro 2012 (Clicky for full story)

1. Will Spain make it into the history books? — There is more at stake than the chance to become the first repeat European champions. Spain – the reigning World Cup champions – can also become the first team to claim three international tournaments in a row.

2. Will Cristiano Ronaldo shine on the international stage at last? — The Portuguese star is finishing off a splendid club season, one that could see him add another UEFA Champions League winner’s medal* to the La Liga crown he is almost sure to win with Real Madrid. His 54 goals :!: – and counting – point to a player at the peak of his powers. Rare have been the moments he has excelled on the international stage, however. EDIT: * Ronaldo and Real Madrid lost to Bayern Munich the day after this guy wrote this article. fyi

3. Speaking of the GROUP of DEATH — Whenever the draw in a major tournament is announced, a group is slapped with the “Group of Death” label. In this instance, the tag doesn’t do justice to the four unfortunates in Group B! While the FIFA World Rankings should be taken with more than a pinch of one’s favorite seasoning, in this instance they’re instructive. All four teams are currently ranked in the top ten. Denmark, the presumed weak entrant in the group, is currently ranked ninth, with Portugal fifth, the Netherlands fourth, and Germany second.

4. “Il Trap” takes on the country of his birth — Prior to the draw, Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni made no secret of his desire to avoid Italy, who he managed at the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004. So of course, the footballing gods decided to place the two countries together in Group C...

5. Will the host nations do themselves proud? — Poland and Ukraine can’t do any worse than the previous tournament's co-hosts – Switzerland and Austria – neither of whom made it out of the group stage, recording just a win and a draw between them. The good folks at UEFA have done everything in their power to avoid such an embarrassment again: Poland has been drawn into a ridiculously easy group alongside Greece, Russia, and the Czech Republic.

_________

Now we gotta get going and get our league set up...
the UEFA/McDonald's game looks like the one for us (thanks, Nihilist).

Go get registered and poke around; I will get us a league going shortly.

That ought to get ya started. Have at you!
--kril out-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Nihilist

Re: Euro 2012 — Fantasy + Chat!

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Thu May 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Top post, sir! :D

If anyone drafts English players for their Euro 2012 team, I will say this much: you're very brave (or maybe just stoopid?). :lol:

I've never felt less optimistic about our national team than I do now. It's not even Roy H's fault: I actually like his appointment (better choice than 'arry "Dog Bank Account" Redknapp IMO), but the players...ugh. Not inspiring.

If we leave John Terry at home, I will consider that a victory. :D

My early prediction: the Germans conquer Europe. They're looking strong to me.
Have you blamed Kril lately?

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Thu May 10, 2012 11:12 pm

On a related note: I would love it if Grant Holt got a call up.

On yet another related note:

Pundit-noise.png

http://www.bettingexpert.com/blog/what- ... 2012-teams

:lol:

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Fri May 11, 2012 12:17 am

And just like that.... the nation of Cloudcuckooland was born. :D

Anyone got a snappy name for the league?

Only thing I can think of is Greek Gyro 2012.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Fri May 11, 2012 8:04 am

League is now (stupidly) named and set up...

Welcome to . . . (wait for it)

FnG’s Bwing on the Euwos 2012!
Er, and, we'll see you in Ukwaine against Fwance!

Yes, it's wrong, and we don't condone that sort of behavior,
but The Sun — in their marvelous display of journalism acumen —
set us up with our league name without realizing it. :brow:
And in honor of Uncle Woy getting the reigns of the Thwee Lions, we gotta do this... :D :D

Some stunningly acute and introspective journalism there, Sun! (er, not)

______

Go HERE to register and log in. FREE!
Code to join this league: 30417-6703

Yay,
--k o-- :mrgreen:
Image Image

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Fri May 11, 2012 4:27 pm

You're a cwuel, cwuel man. :D

In all seriousness, the Sun really should be shot for that headline. Roy is the most qualified manager we've had in years. Former international experience, turned Switzerland (SWITZERLAND!!!) into an international force, and has won far more silverware than 'arry.

I'm glad RH got the job. :thumbup:

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Fri May 11, 2012 4:52 pm

[FnG] Nihilist wrote:In all seriousness, the Sun really should be shot for that headline. Roy is the most qualified manager we've had in years.
This is all true. FnG's Bwing on the Euwos 2012 league is indeed born from the ashes of shame and ruin.

But to be honest, (Uncle) Roy Hodgson is kind of tactically dull (or at least conservative), which wouldn't matter if Fulham or Liverpool had gone on big winning streaks, but they mostly didn't. Also, according to the Sun, he may in fact talk a bit funny. (appalling decision to run that, btw)

I think, despite the qualifications, and given the personnel mess he's been handed (thanks, England's Brave John Terry), there is a prevailing sense that he's going to lead England to a sort of .500 record — win some, lose some. In the end, all to no great effect.
(don't get me wrong, I wish him and them well, just not holding my breath...)

Where's the sign-ups? C'mon, now, :cheerleader:
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Fri May 11, 2012 5:31 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:But to be honest, (Uncle) Roy Hodgson is kind of tactically dull (or at least conservative), which wouldn't matter if Fulham or Liverpool had gone on big winning streaks, but they mostly didn't. Also, according to the Sun, he may in fact talk a bit funny. (appalling decision to run that, btw)

Fulham qualified for Europe under him, which is quite an achievement! :D

I also think Tactically Dull is appropriate for our national team. The English game breeds one dimensional players with borderline zero attacking flair. The reason there are so many creative continental players in the Prem is that there are no English creative players worth a damn.

Simply put, English players are about 30-40 years behind the times. We're still training as if the days of physical kick-and-rush football at still the way of things, whereas the likes of Germany, Spain and France have pushed on to the next level. We're out of date, out of time, out of ideas and out of players.

Successions of continental minded managers have failed with the England team. The Golden Generation turned out to be Fool's Gold, and the successors are even worse. Dull, discplined tactics are about all we can hope to (successfully) utilize right now. :D

I think, despite the qualifications, and given the personnel mess he's been handed (thanks, England's Brave John Terry), there is a prevailing sense that he's going to lead England to a sort of .500 record — win some, lose some. In the end, all to no great effect.

Yep, that's what I'm expecting.

English international football needs to change at a grass roots level. We're irrelevant right now.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Fri May 11, 2012 11:14 pm

I fink it's time to drag this guy out of the mothballs...
(one month tournament — I'll just tweak him a bit)

Fear — Squatney Athwetic!

:bedrime:

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sat May 12, 2012 2:17 am

Alright! TEACUP UBER ALLES is signed up and has its team set up!

Since this isn't the cut-throat Fundesliga (:lol:), I'm going to gladly show off my uberteam.

Fear the Teacup International travel squad! :D

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sat May 12, 2012 7:41 am

Woah, Nigel de Jong? Is he even healthy? :Beye:
Anyway, he's a defensive midfielder who cleats people in the nipples...
while they're upright and running toward him.

Don't see the fantasy potential there, but speaking of potential — red card waiting to happen.

I just auto-filled my team for now, and my team kit looks like just-washed undies and diapers... :D
_______

I've just been poking around the McDonald's game rules,
trying to wrap my head around the differences in this game
from the Barclays' one. (no hurry, really – we have almost a month)

It's very similar to Barclays, but there are some fundamental differences too.
First thing to remember is, teams will be dropping out left and right after the
group stage ends, so you're going to be losing doodz at an accelerating rate.

They compensate for that with an increasing allowance of more players from
the same team — from 2 in the group stage to 12 by the final. :shock:

Also, your budget is €100 million, but they give you another €5 million at
the start of the knockout stage.

Apparently, we can sort of cherry-pick our subs! That is to say,
you can sub out a dood just for sucking. But the dood coming on
must NOT have played yet, and the dood going off can't have
been actually sent off in his match. Hmm, interesting.
You can even sub your captain if he's a fail, roll the dice on
someone else on your bench. Woot.

Auto-subs at the end of the "match day" seem to work the same as FPL.

Transfers: Unlimited before Matchday 1.
1 for Matchday 2. 1 for Matchday 3.
Unlimited at the start of the knockout stage.
8 for the semi-finals and 4 for the Final.
You get one transfer wildcard to play anywhere in the tournament.

Also, note that the player lists right now are provisional — subject to change.
(real world national managers haven't yet made their final choices...)
(See Hodgson, Roy, and Terry, England's Brave John)

Rock and roll. Well, soon,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sat May 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Yeah, I had $5.0 left and didn't know what to do with it. I figured why not? :) (Plus let's face it: First gameweek isn't until June 8. I'm sure we'll all be rearranging our teams well before that. :D)

Looking over the scoring rules, I like that they give defenders points for clearances! That's a huge thing that Barclays FPL was missing, I feel. Clean sheets didn't really tell you the whole story of a team's defense, and because of that you always felt like you had to grab defenders who either really played up along strikers or big beefy ones who joined in on set pieces.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:24 pm

This thing kicks off tomorrow! (Friday, June 8 )

First deadline is tomorrow, 5:45 p.m. CEST / 4:45 p.m. BST / 11:45 a.m. EDT / 10:45 a.m. CDT
It's time — does everyone have their team tweaked out?

Some helpful quick guides:
Best Forwards for Euro 2012
Best Midfielders for Euro 2012
Best Defenders for Euro 2012

Or, looking at it via Group:
Studs/Duds in Group A
Studs/Duds in Group B (of death)
Studs/Duds in Group C
Studs/Duds in Group D

The Guardian's Guide:
Team Guides: The Lowdown on All 16 Teams & Top Players

To keep up with things, check out this funky/cool Interactive Twitter Map by the Guardian.

Anyone else sort of wary about selecting doodz from the Group of Death (B)? :chin:
If those defenses are so great, won't they reduce (somewhat) the offense of your player?
Hmmm...

Have at you! :cavalry:
--kril out-- :ninja:
Image Image

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:36 am

My team is ready. :) It doesn't actually look like the original. :p

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:42 am

My team is done, which means I'll probably replace everyone in it twice in the next 22 hours. :D

Return to “Media Discussion”