Feeling quite proud of my youtube channel

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Lazz

Feeling quite proud of my youtube channel

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Hi all

So as some of you may know, I am quite a keen collector of carnivorous plants. I have a youtube channel which has various videos of them working (catching insects) and, to my surprise, just a couple of weeks ago, the total video views on my channel breached the 1 million views mark.

http://www.youtube.com/fnglazz

Its also worth pointing out that given how many I have, next year I plan on going into business with selling them. More of a side business but still. I've bought the website domain name and even had a logo designed (and copyrighted). :)

[FnG] Hanno

Re: Feeling quite proud of my youtube channel

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Like watching paint dry :-) But the videos are nice and clear :-)

Anyway my Ateam video still beats your fly trap andhas more lego and gun fire in it ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wYqSEwAi0A
Im at 809,329 hits but then it is 2 years older than your oldest vid but still waiting to hit my million...
and my lego muppets have another 198,836 hits:-)

But I haven't bothered setting up the channel properly - sort of gave up on the whole youtube thing.

And if you can make a bit of money on the side with the whole weirdo plants thing , well done :-)
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Lazz, how well do dewplants catch flies? Could they be a cool replacement for other fly catching means?
And if they are, can they survive the periods that there are fewer flies around well?
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:14 pm

[FnG] N!MRoD wrote:Lazz, how well do dewplants catch flies? Could they be a cool replacement for other fly catching means?
And if they are, can they survive the periods that there are fewer flies around well?

Sundews tend to catch smaller flies. With most smaller flies, once they land on a sundew, they are relatively screwed. I dont think they are a good replacement for other fly catching means necessarily, however, if there are any flies in the house that are, say, smaller than 1 cm, its quite easy to make one of the tentacles/leaves touch the fly and it then becomes stuck. I say 'tend' to catch smaller flies because it depends on the type of sundew. For instance, the drosera Regia sundew, known as the 'king sundew', can grow leaves which are a couple of feet long, and have been known to catch wasps.

Last year, during the summer, I had an issue in my room whereby for some reason or another, smaller flies would tend to congregate and fly about in that area. I bought one of my sundews in from my greenhouse and held it up to that corner and within 10 seconds, there must have been 20 - 30 flies stuck on its various tentacles.

Its a good idea for if your going to physically take it to the fly(ies) that are bothering you, but if you get one as a windowsil plant, while it will catch flies, it certainly wont make your house fly free.

They can survive for a while when there are fewer flies around, though if there are times when this happens, its usually best to introduce a fly to it, just so it has something to feed off.

I haven't had my sundews in a fly free zone for a few years now, but back in the times when they were on the kitchen windowsil, either I would feed them a fly from time to time, or other times I would look closely and see that theyve managed to catch some on their own.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Cool, so it could be handy to some degree still to have em around.
You said you would feed em flies but does that mean you breed flies too now during this time of the year? Insects are a rarity in winter, at least around here.
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,

while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:34 pm

[FnG] N!MRoD wrote:Cool, so it could be handy to some degree still to have em around.
You said you would feed em flies but does that mean you breed flies too now during this time of the year? Insects are a rarity in winter, at least around here.

Nope, they hibernate during winter (usually november - february).

Return to “Media Discussion”