Euclideon - graphics engine

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] N!MRoD

Euclideon - graphics engine

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Hi all. I thought i have put this up here on the forums before, but can't find anything about it so here goes.

These guys have been developing a graphics engine that works more or less voxel based.
The cool thing about it is how realistic the result are. Its life like. You can for example zoom in on the dirt so much that you can see the individual grains.

On top of that, they only use cpu power. From a quite normal laptop.

So this looks like great graphics for everyone?

Here a link for some footage:
http://www.euclideon.com/media/
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,
while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

[FnG] Hanno

Re: Euclideon - graphics engine

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Its interesting and might have knock on effect for virtual worlds in games BUT
The guy presenting the video is a nut - his pronunciation screams SPOOF SPOOF SPOOF at me.

I say potatoe he says potartooooo.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] N!MRoD

Re: Euclideon - graphics engine

Postby [FnG] N!MRoD » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 pm

Dunno which video you saw, but i presume the geoverse one? Seems they focused on that now since the industry approached them.
I saw their tech video over a year ago. Its also on the site. They were mostly intested in providing a graphics engine and comparing to video games. Many people were sceptic thinking it was or still is a hoax. Though in the meantime they have gotten the biggest Austrialian government support ever given, a fair 2 milion Australian dollars. Glad to see such things, because to me such actions point that they are the real deal and hopefully can deliver. Can only be good for us :)
And i must say i was surprised when i saw their site first, because they came from a small team building this engine. Their first tech demo was not so impressive xD.

Thinking about it the graphics engine. This will upset quite a few companies, if you can provide such near perfect graphics with such little computing power. Then maybe you only need some more cpu for physics and some mechanisms. What GPUs would we still need? AMD, Nvidea and other players out of business eventually? What gaming engines would we still need? EPIC, crytec, ID and others also out of business? Well its more then just the visuals. But still, graphics wont be a strong point any longer.
*Trust is like glass, u can fix it when it breaks but u will ALWAYS see the crack* -Myself-

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause,

while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

Return to “Media Discussion”