My own composed theory: The psychological blockade of the...

Discussion related to Media
SandRock
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:07 pm

My own composed theory: The psychological blockade of the...

Postby SandRock » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:27 am

Please read and leave constructive comments and opinions
Here is my theory:

http://www.guardiansnc.com/personal/doc ... PBOTHB.htm

User avatar
[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL
Posts: 3121
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:30 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:42 am

Its all about the reference people got, as you stated before.. nowadays we refer lightning from the sky as a high pressure area that clashes with it's low pressure brother ... But it is idd in humans nature to find explanations for things, when they didnt have them god was the explenation (or a serie of them) now we do, some think god is its explanation, others dont ... It's all about how your raised, what are your references ... To call it a psychological blockade ...mmm... it's more human nature...
Image

User avatar
[FnG] [NL]RAZOR!
Posts: 1846
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Steenwijk Rockcity (NL)
Contact:

Postby [FnG] [NL]RAZOR! » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:20 am

It's an interesting theory, but I don't think it's true that religious people in modern day society are explaining things by saying God did it. I don't think religion is created by our human limitations. Science is more likely to be the result of our limitations because science is the tool we use to try to explain things today, not religion.

However, I do agree that in the past (and even nowadays) religion had been used with the wrong purposes. People used to get hanged for saying the world is a globe.
Image
:sg:

User avatar
[FnG] ParanoiDinHELL
Posts: 3121
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:30 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Postby [FnG] ParanoiDinHELL » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:32 pm

god fills in the blanks, it explains things we dont get yet .... it hides the fears we have (dieing etc.. - which is why people tend to believe in heaven/hell/reincarnation) ..

Religion is often pretty smart to some things, creating less things to worrie about. Islam for instance lets you slaughter animals by cutting theyr throat, that way they lose a lot of money... Now the region where it started had high temperatures so too much blood in meat would make it rotten faster ..but it also sets some standards to live by and gives security to some where normal science couldnt give it (as in heaven/reincarnation or the threat of hell if you dont live in a pleasant way (to put it like that)) ... It's more then just explaining things ...
Image

User avatar
[FnG] Nihilist
Posts: 1850
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:12 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:49 pm

ParanoiDinHELL wrote:To call it a psychological blockade ...mmm... it's more human nature...


That pretty much amounts to the same thing - human nature is a psychological phenomenon. :)

Besides, not everyone thinks in terms of "can't explain it, must be God". I agree with what the author wrote - I've actually mooted similar points on occasion in relevant discussions.

The barrier doesn't really stop with God, though. Most people are very loath to challenge things accepted as true, even away from religion. There are, realistically, very few truly open minded people around. :) The rest of us simply dismiss things when we "know" differently.

User avatar
Bunnette
Posts: 3090
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:21 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Bunnette » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:51 pm

Moved to the Politics and Debate forums - better suited there I think ;)
Image

User avatar
[FnG] Nihilist
Posts: 1850
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:12 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:57 pm

What, no views of your own to add, Bunnette? :D

User avatar
Bunnette
Posts: 3090
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:21 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Postby Bunnette » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:03 pm

[FnG] Nihilist wrote:What, no views of your own to add, Bunnette? :D



Haven't had a chance to read it throughly yet :P
Image

SandRock
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:07 pm

Postby SandRock » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:18 pm

[FnG] [NL]RAZOR! wrote:It's an interesting theory, but I don't think it's true that religious people in modern day society are explaining things by saying God did it. I don't think religion is created by our human limitations. Science is more likely to be the result of our limitations because science is the tool we use to try to explain things today, not religion.

However, I do agree that in the past (and even nowadays) religion had been used with the wrong purposes. People used to get hanged for saying the world is a globe.


You say this but I wonder now, what is religion then? I cannot find any other explanation for it. Beside that I also think that if you believe in God you believe in him because you do. Not because a Pope in Rome (wich can hardly pronounce a verb) tells you how it is. Or because he has a special connection.
All i can think of is that Religion offers answers we not yet possess


PS. Im the author (Roeland Schoppers is my real name =p)

Moved to the Politics and Debate forums - better suited there I think Wink
_________________


I looked at the description and it says its for everything political =p

User avatar
[FnG] [NL]RAZOR!
Posts: 1846
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Steenwijk Rockcity (NL)
Contact:

Postby [FnG] [NL]RAZOR! » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:39 pm

I am a christian myself.

But I don't believe everything that is said in the bible. For me my religion is not a tool to fill up everything that you can't explain. For me religion is more like a set of standards that help you live your life in a good way. It's more like a guidline (which you can decide to follow or not) than something to make up for human limits.

You can believe in the theory of evolution or the big bang and still believe in God. Even when there is absolutely no clue of any God excisting, there is still reason to believe in a God.

Religion ist called belief or faith for a reason. It's like believing there are also a lot of good things in the world and that we should always have faith in someone or something. It's this belief and faith that form the base of most religion. Not the inability to explain things with common sense.

At least, that is my interpretation of religion and the reason why I still believe in God.


I hope people will be able to follow this and I know this is sensitive material so I hope I didn't offend anyone (or made a fool out of meself :p )
Image

:sg:

User avatar
[FnG] Nihilist
Posts: 1850
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:12 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:45 pm

[FnG] [NL]RAZOR! wrote: For me religion is more like a set of standards that help you live your life in a good way.


I agree that a lot of religious principles are great maxims to live your life by. :)

Any message of tolerance, kindless and conscience is a good one, regardless of whether you're religious or not.

SandRock
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:07 pm

Postby SandRock » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:23 pm

yes they give guidelines how to live a good life. But that still doesnt change the fact that the thing called God explains things we do not know. It are the christians that tell us what is a good way of living. Not God. I understand what your saying, but it only changes that christian is a way of life. But in todays sense it is believing in God. And I havent had any arguements that contradict that the thing we call God is an explanation for the things that we cannot explain yet.

User avatar
[FnG] [NL]RAZOR!
Posts: 1846
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Steenwijk Rockcity (NL)
Contact:

Postby [FnG] [NL]RAZOR! » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:39 pm

SandRock wrote:I havent had any arguements that contradict that the thing we call God is an explanation for the things that we cannot explain yet.


Well, you've hit the nail on the head with that sentence. It's one of the things that is a hard to explain as it is hard to prove there is a God, because you can't.

About the explanation part, I think in the middle ages people used to explain the unexplainable by calling it magic or something in the hands of the gods. Like the example of lighting, people were satisfied with the assumption that God was resonsible for the phenomenom.

But in today's world God barely has any influence in the explanation of unknown things. Because (the western) world only use science and reasoning to explain things, they will accept that the things they are trying to understand is beyond their understanding and not pass it off to God.


So to sum up what I mean to say is that God used to be a perfect tool to explain the unexplainable with in the past, but in today's world the role of God is shifted to the side of the relgious lifestyle.
Image

:sg:

Brain?
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:30 pm

Postby Brain? » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:41 pm

I haven't read the article fully but I'll chip in anyway since we seem to have similar beliefs [edit: Sandrock and I, I meant! ;-)]:

I think that the only positive aspect of Christianity is that it teaches us basic morals - but I believe these morals to be inherent. You don't often see animals killing those of their own species often...sure, animals kill but it is for food, not because they are evil. Ironically, humans have killed eachother infinitely more than animals have; often over issues such as religion!

I do not believe in 'god' as there is no evidence to support there being one. Razor, you are perfectly entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to start attacking anyone here (as you say, it is a sensitive subject for some) but I don't think this world is good - it's horrible. If god really did make the world, he sure didn't do a good job of it.

The problem with asking very basic questions about god, that you usually think up of when you're about 7, like 'why did he create suffering?' (don't give me that Adam and Eve rubbish :D) is that Christians rationalise using human perspective - "If we didn't have suffering, how would we know what happiness was?" I simply do not buy this, god is NOT a human - that's the whole point - so I do not agree with answering these questions with 'human' answers.

If you believe in the Big Bang and evolution, it means you do not believe in the Bible (as historical truth, at least) - so why do you believe in a Christian God?

Sorry for going so off the topic at hand...I agree that religion has simply been a way to explain the unexplainable in the past. Its other use has been to manipulate and control mankind to suit those at the top's needs and wants.

My two pence, tell me to shut up if I get too boring. :-P

User avatar
[FnG] Nihilist
Posts: 1850
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:12 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:43 pm

SandRock wrote:And I havent had any arguements that contradict that the thing we call God is an explanation for the things that we cannot explain yet.


Yes, you have. You just choose to ignore them.

Simply, the argument goes like this:

God is real.

Which is pretty much the counter argument, and why this sort of discussion is ultimately a lost cause, and more of a case of getting to know the opinions of others than reaching any logical conclusion. There is no way you can successfully reconcile different positions when one is based on a philosophical standpoint and the other on religious faith. The two are completely incompatible. The resolution of the argument here can be summed up thus:

1) There is no God, and all deities ever worshipped by mankind were created by way of trying to explain that which we don't understand.

2) There is a God, and thus the suggestion that God is psychological novacaine is incorrect.

Both of these scenarios are possible, but tellingly, neither of these stances is provable.


Return to “Media Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests