My own composed theory: The psychological blockade of the...

Discussion related to Media
SandRock

Postby SandRock » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:05 pm

Your acting like im annoyed that you criticise my article, but its not. Its you putting words in my mouth, twisting around my arguements, not reading/understanding my words well.
And that last reply showed a great amount of intellegence =)

[FnG] XOR

Postby [FnG] XOR » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:25 am

A very interesting conversation to behold, showing so much about human nature.

I must say though, while Nihilist managed to argue his point clearly and rationally, it seems like SandRock took his contradictions personally, which should not have happened.

Allow me to try to illustrate Nihilist's contradiction to your argument, SandRock:

Your statement paraphrased:

"God is used as an explanation for things we cannot explain ourselves".

With that statement you could be saying:
1) There is a cause for these things, but it's not God
2) There is no cause for these things and we don't need to explain anything

A more subtle implication from this statement (and closely related to #1) is:
1.1) There are people who cannot deal with being unable to explain a phenomenon so they "invent" God to be its cause.

What you are definitely not saying (the only option left):
3) There is a cause for these things and it is God

It seems to me like you were trying to convince Nihilist that you are on #2 but he didn't believe you. If indeed #2 is your choice then there is no point arguing, there can be no debate as nothing was said, since the basic law of cause and effect is doubted.

So, 1, 2 or 3?

SandRock

Postby SandRock » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:20 pm

You dont understand me either...
First of all i didnt take any contradictions personal i took it personal that he put words in my mouth, twisted around my sentences and just didnt understand what i was saying.

First of all im not trying to convince anybody of anything. I just wanted to have an open debate about it.

What i am is saying is that there are things we cannot explain YET and we will have to wait till we can understand them. I have told this quite a few times so i dont know how you could think i go for #2

All i asked for was giving me a contradiction that God isnt just an explanation for the things we cant explain yet. But people just ignore this question and act like im saying God doesnt exsist...

The whole God thing wasn't even the point of my theory it was just a way of explaining it. Recently I followed some discussions about evolution and I felt it was supporting my theory.
Humans have stopped evoluting physically but are evoluting mentally.

[FnG] XOR

Postby [FnG] XOR » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:41 pm

SandRock wrote:What i am is saying is that there are things we cannot explain YET and we will have to wait till we can understand them. I have told this quite a few times so i dont know how you could think i go for #2

Question: the things we cannot explain yet, do they have a cause?
So, #1 or #3? What is your stand?

I think this statement is the crux of the matter

SandRock wrote:First of all im not trying to convince anybody of anything. I just wanted to have an open debate about it.

Can one have a debate without trying to convince the other participants of something? I think, no.

Try it: Let's have a "debate" about using wireless mice. You start the "debate" without trying to convince me of anything.

SandRock

Postby SandRock » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:00 pm

Arguement, discussion, debate w/e you want. I don't need to convince you to be able to share opinions about a matter.

Of course things have a cause. And my opinion about God doesn't matter in this.

Wireless mouse
Pro's: You dont have a problem with a wire
Con: The reaction might be bad cause of loss of contact and you have to keep energy at a high level

[FnG] XOR

Postby [FnG] XOR » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:27 pm

SandRock wrote:Arguement, discussion, debate w/e you want. I don't need to convince you to be able to share opinions about a matter.

Call me simplistic, but I believe sharing opinions without trying to convince is pointless (and contrary to human nature).

Mouse example:

The core of your statement:
Wireless mice have advantages and disadvantages.

That in itself (without looking at the particular pros and cons) is an attempt to convince me, namely that wireless mice have disadvantages and advantages. I could now counter that (ah, attempt to convince) by saying: "No, wireless mice only have disadvantages!"

Wanna have another attempt at opinions without trying to convince?

Any statement you or anybody ever makes is an attempt to convince. Why? Because it claims truth, and claimed truth can be contradicted. A contradiction to a claimed truth can be then be contradicted again and so forth. That, IMO, is debate/argumentation/discussion.

SandRock

Postby SandRock » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:39 pm

This is no use..
Have a nice day

[FnG] XOR

Postby [FnG] XOR » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:48 pm

SandRock wrote:This is no use..
Have a nice day

Hey, are you trying to convince me there? ;)

I hope you have a great day too! :D

[FnG] JJ [NL]

Postby [FnG] JJ [NL] » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:09 pm

Hmmm too bad I found this debate just now, after the sad "screeching to a halt"... I'm afraid Sandrock is not going to understand the points made, or try to....

Good thread ... but I don't think I have got anything more to say than has already been said...

SandRock

Postby SandRock » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:20 pm

w/e
I think the level of education of you people is too low. Instead of keeping on topic you buzz in and start discussing on what the point of a discussion is. Go back to school and start practicing debating. Im the one who got an 8 for it. Bye bye

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:03 pm

Wow, that is unbelievably arrogant. Absolutely unbelievable.

Might I ask how old you are?

EDIT: found my own answer, 17.

You don't even have a degree yet, and a lot of people here do. I suggest you watch what you're saying if you want to be taken seriously, because the fact of the matter is that there are people here who are far, far more educated than you are.

SandRock

Postby SandRock » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:24 pm

Construction workers arent educated, and yes i AM arrogant, and yes i get nasty when i debate with people who fail to understand me. I love debating aslong as people understand me, they dont have to agree, i rather have them not agree. This is just another such a debate where people fail to see the point and just butt in and debate because they want to act smart.

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:34 pm

I have considerable experience with debating and mooting, and I can tell you for a fact that I have more than you. My degree, as a matter of fact, was very much orientated around verbal presentations and arguments, not to mention minoring in philosophy. Don't accuse me or anyone else here of missing the point, because we haven't.

Ironically, you're the one who doesn't seem to understand what is being said by others. As XOR pointed out, there are one of three possible foci in your argument, and the only one in which your criticism is justified is the one in which no debate was needed to start. If everyone else disagrees with you, then the chances are it is you who is wrong, rather than everyone else being stupid - which is what you're trying to say by way of dismissing the legitimate arguments of everbody else on this thread. And I can tell you - try that in a university and you'll get laughed off your course.

SandRock

Postby SandRock » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:17 pm

:puke2:

Bunnette

Postby Bunnette » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:50 am

Personally insulting people is NOT accepted in this community...

Sandrock, if I see one more outburst of instults from you I shall lock this thread!

Return to “Media Discussion”