My own composed theory: The psychological blockade of the...

Discussion related to Media
SandRock

Postby SandRock » Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:50 pm

Im not insulting.

Please do lock this thread, and maybe rename the category to "Politics & Wiseguys"

[FnG] Crabbie

Postby [FnG] Crabbie » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:37 pm

Not that I claim intelligence (far from it) - but I don't see anything particularly off-topic here (at least for the first few pages).
Having been involved in several topics like this they almost always end in a horrible jumble, which is probably predictable given the subject matter...

Perhaps we should put a 'sticky' in the Politics & Debate forum about posting topics, with pointers like:

*Debates often start with opinion - if someone doesn't agree with your opinion it doesn't mean they think any less of you personally.

*A person's intelligence (or age/gender/religion etc.) should not be considered a determining factor in the strength of their opinion, everyone should be allowed to offer their opinion, but should also be open to having that opinion discussed.

*A debate does not neccesarily need to result in a 'correct' answer, the whole point of a debate is discussing the subject at hand, this is especially true in a topic like this one.
Last edited by [FnG] Crabbie on Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bunnette

Postby Bunnette » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:34 pm

SandRock wrote:Im not insulting.

...That's not how I see it....

SandRock wrote:w/e
I think the level of education of you people is too low.

SandRock wrote:...This is just another such a debate where people fail to see the point and just butt in and debate because they want to act smart.

SandRock wrote:...and maybe rename the category to "Politics & Wiseguys".

These all look like insults to me.

Feel free to debate a subject - but do NOT get nasty and do NOT insult people...

Brain?

Postby Brain? » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:06 pm

This thread still going? =) Sandrock, you do come across as a little arrogant in a few of your posts in this thread - at the same time a few others have come across as a bit patronising, which is bound to wind you up. It seems to me that the topic switched from your original intent to semantics (which invariably happens in 'debates' on the internet, in my experience) which is never really helpful. Getting an 8 (whatever that means) in debating is equally irrelevant, as is your age (I'm 16 if anyone cares :D).

SandRock

Re: My own composed theory: The psychological blockade of the...

Postby SandRock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:57 pm

I still think I'm right and you're all WRONG! :lmao:

Ahh the olden days, blast from the past. I think I want to flame my 2005-self :chin:

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:15 pm

Welcome back..... I think ;-)
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:10 pm

The original link in this thread isn't working anymore. :(

SandRock

Postby SandRock » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:00 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote:Welcome back..... I think ;-)

Heh. I always enjoyed playing SAS (UT2004 MOD) with FNG. <3 DUck and Rambo. So on one of my nostaglic days I did some googling and this came up ;)

If any of you plan on playing APB:Reloaded, Planetside: Next or StarWars; The Old Republic then who knows :woot:

[FnG] 7uh wrote:The original link in this thread isn't working anymore. :(

Don't be sad, it wasn't all that impressive. I was like.. 16.. and thought I understood the world and there was nothing that could proof me wrong :P

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:52 pm

SandRock wrote:
[FnG] Hanno wrote:Welcome back..... I think ;-)

Heh. I always enjoyed playing SAS (UT2004 MOD) with FNG. <3 DUck and Rambo. So on one of my nostaglic days I did some googling and this came up ;)

If any of you plan on playing APB:Reloaded, Planetside: Next or StarWars; The Old Republic then who knows :woot:

Don't be sad, it wasn't all that impressive. I was like.. 16.. and thought I understood the world and there was nothing that could proof me wrong :P

I hadn't heard they were trying to relaunch APB. I quite enjoyed the customisation and driving about parts APB, but got to admit
the shooting mechanics were pretty hit and miss (usually miss in my case unless I was using a shotgun!) It could be good as a free to play if they fix the dodgy shooting.

Star wars the old republic is also quite tempting...

On the article thing - the older I get the less I releise I know (including how the heck you spell reliaze....realise). On same subject my seven year old daughter definately thinks she knows more than me... as she told me the other day "The speed of sound is faster than the speed of light because it takes 8 minutes for light to reach us from the sun". I'm sure theres logic in there somewhere!
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:29 pm

SandRock wrote:

Haha, OK, I just wanted to see what made everyone feel like they had to try so hard to prove you wrong! :D

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:40 pm

[FnG] Zuh wrote:Haha, OK, I just wanted to see what made everyone feel like they had to try so hard to prove you wrong! :D
Well, . . . I suppose 'cause he had The Answer.

And now it's lost forever in the great bit bucket of teh intar webs!! :shock:

NooooOOoOOoooooOOOOOoOoooooooooes! :panic:
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

SandRock

Postby SandRock » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:57 pm

[FnG] 7uh wrote:
SandRock wrote:

Haha, OK, I just wanted to see what made everyone feel like they had to try so hard to prove you wrong! :D

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:
[FnG] Zuh wrote:Haha, OK, I just wanted to see what made everyone feel like they had to try so hard to prove you wrong! :D
Well, . . . I suppose 'cause he had The Answer.

And now it's lost forever in the great bit bucket of teh intar webs!! :shock:

NooooOOoOOoooooOOOOOoOoooooooooes! :panic:
--kril out-- :mrgreen:

Nothing is ever lost on the internet!

The psychological blockade of the human brain

By Me

Before you read my theory you have to understand that I mean no offence to any religion, or any religious people. I do not hate people that believe in God and I’m not trying to convert them to my ideas. I just want to share my opinion and let others think about this.

I think about a lot of things myself and make theories but I want to write them down now and share them with others.

Here follows the theory:

The human brain has a blockade that limits our thinking. Mankind wants to be able to put everything in to an earthly perspective. We always want to be able to compare things to what we already experienced, something that we can see, feel, hear, something that we already understand. Since the beginning of times we have had this psychological blockade, the border got extended the further we evolved. We always want to explain things, and if we cannot put into an earthly perspective we cannot understand a phenomenon and think of an earthly explanation.
If we look back to the Greeks or the old Vikings, they had many gods that explained phenomenon that they could not put into a earthly perspective. For instance both cultures did not understand the phenomenon lightning. They did not know electricity yet and they saw the thunder from the sky. They tried to compare it to something that they already knew of and already understood. Failing in this they made an earthly explanation for it. There is something coming from the sky, something has to be made by somebody. Because everything we know off has been made by somebody. So they explained it by thinking up a God for it. This God would make the lightning and his reason to cast it down to Earth would be that he was angry at us. This is an explanation they could understand. The Greeks called the god Zeus and the Viking Odin. Both explained the same phenomenon, one both cultures didn’t understand yet. The further the human race progressed the further the border of the psychological blockade was extended. In time we understood what electricity was and we looked up to the sky and certain people thought, no, maybe there is another explanation to this phenomenon. They researched it and found out that it was created by nature. Understanding what electricity is and what lightning is we extended our border and didn’t need Zeus or Odin as a God anymore.
As time progressed a lot of these phenomenon’s were explained and the blockade was lifted further.
Now we had come so far that we had explained a lot of phenomenon’s that we did no longer need all that many Gods. We could make it a lot easier by explaining the remaining unknown phenomenon’s with one God.
Lets us go back, back so far in time, to the very end. All there was in this universe was a mass. Now we can understand that there is this mass, but where did it come from. How did it get there, this we cannot understand. Cause we haven’t experienced that something has been made by nobody. That it just exists, we cannot accept that we cannot explain a phenomenon. So we think of an explanation. Somebody has to have created this mass, we think of a big all powerful human that has created this mass and make him God.
Just like with Death. We see Death all around us but we cannot explain it. What happens after we die we do not know. We cannot explain. So we also explain this by God.
Now you say that you understand that all the Gods of the passed were silly. And that this God we talk of now really exists. Cause how else have we been made. Now I can say “we have been made, I don’t know how, in time we might learn, we cannot explain this so we have to just accept that fact” but most cannot live with that. Let me put it in an earthly perspective then. We both are Greek citizens. I tell you that the Lightning in the sky isn’t made by a God. It just exists, I don’t know how it is being made yet, but in time we might know. We just have to accept this. Then you say “no, its not true, God does it”

In short, the human brain cannot live with something that is unexplained. We have a psychological blockade that stops us from not being able to explain a phenomenon. So we explain it with something that is within the reach of our understanding. Within the borders of the blockade. So we think up an explanation.

My opinion:
I do not believe in God. I think that some things in life are there, I cannot explain them, in time we might be able to explain it. But till then I will just have to live with it. I will just have to wait till I can lift the blockade and can understand this phenomenon.

“On what do we base intelligence. Is a donkey that uses his brain to its full capacity stupid, or are we humans that can only put to use 30% of our brains capacity stupid”

By Me

My theory is based on my own ideas and perspectives. They are based on my philosophies and the knowledge I have learned trough the years.

And minds were blown.... :jester: :tease:

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:04 pm

:shock: OMG! . . . The Answer returneth!
We are saved from much wailing, gnashing of teeth, running about and beating our foreheads on rocks... :worship:

O glorious Intar Webs, you teach us.

So, uh, thanks,
--kril out-- :partyhat:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks very much! :D

The theory seems like a perfectly reasonable inference from history (science explaining things once thought divine) and human nature (the need for an explanation even in the face of the unexplainable).

Personally, I differ with the opinion that there's no God ... but, it certainly seems clear that humans are capable of understanding much that was once thought magical or supernatural. Still, a lot of scientists believe in God. As science progresses, it seems to me that the idea of divine existence has shifted from mechanism ("how else could this phenomenon happen?") to origin ("who or what STARTED the universe in the first place?"). We know that lightning is basically static electricity created by water and ice in clouds, and we can presume that future scientific knowledge will be able to explain things we don't know yet in terms of pure physical and chemical phenomena. So the question is shifted to an area that puts science on a less sound footing. Where did the matter and energy within the universe originally come from? Something doesn't come from nothing. Science may never be able to explain it. Or maybe one day it will! It's ... kind of a matter of faith.

So here's my theory. Believing that there's no God is an outgrowth of the conviction that science will ultimately be able to explain everything. This conviction requires a level of faith in science equal to that of the religious person's faith in God.

Flame away as appropriate ... :crazy:

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:36 pm

I'm sure there was a flame thrower smilely here somewhere....

Actually I sort of agree with Sandrock, apart from the word blockade where I would say blockage.
The majority of people find it easier to accept a fiction about something than be able to accept a simple ' we don't know;we might never know'
and another majority of people find it very hard to say "I don't know' and are quite happy to make up something instead.

Its one of the hardest lessons I found out when I started work that its a better idea to say 'I don't know but I'll find out' rather than 'winging' it
Its odd I can handle that well now but I still haven't figured out how best to lie for other people.
I have had a week of typing emails that should of said "because XXXX are a bunch of idiots who can't find there XXXXX with both hands"
and having to make up diplomatic excuses for XXXXX instead. It is very stressful!
Hanno's Law:

Return to “Media Discussion”