Why The Heck Would You Do Such a Thing (Rant)

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:36 pm

Sigaret is the Dutch spelling :P

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:36 pm

I never smoked cigs because I tended to have difficulty breathing when I'd get any amount of non-air-type stuff in my lungs. I never had asthma, but the feeling of having something obstructing my breathing really scares me. That goes double for marijuana -- no filter, more crap in my lungs. The physical feeling really, really bothers me, so I never tried it enough to get into the habit.

My wife smoked for about 12 years, from the time she was 12 until we got engaged. I didn't make her stop; I barely even knew she smoked. She just decided to go cold turkey, and when my wife wants to do something, she pretty much does it. :shock: But even though it's been almost 20 years since she's had one, she periodically still gets the urge to smoke a ciggy.

That makes me ten times as glad I never got into it -- the idea of being physically addicted to something like that absolutely terrifies me. That, coupled with my strong dislike of the feeling that my breathing is obstructed, meant I dodged a big bullet, I guess.

Also, when I was in school, smoking was not considered cool, for whatever reason. It was more associated with the sleazy pothead contingent at my school (in urban Texas). Here in the Northeast, though, I see many more kids smoking, so I have to assume it's gained in popularity among teens since I was that age, or it's more popular among kids in this region, or both.

[FnG] JinX-D wrote:I don't get the 'trying to be cool' reason... what's so cool about it?

I think a lot of the point behind "cool" behaviors is that they have no real logical basis. The central feature of being cool is that you don't care what other people think, so if the behavior were logical, it would be more popular, less rebellious, and therefore "not cool." That's what makes self-destructive behaviors cool -- it's a way of thumbing your nose at the logical people (the mainstream) and saying "I don't care what you think."

These things may be considered "cool," but they come with a price later on, as people mature and wish they had those extra years of life and good health back ...

Also, it seems ironic to me that when people to be cool and show their disregard for other people's opinions, you're actually shaping their behaviors solely on the opinions of others. So, trying to be cool ... makes you "not cool." Hmm.

[FnG] ElPietro

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:04 pm

I think the "cool" part is only a perception amongst teens.

Adults know that teens have angst and express themselves quite often in a rebellious manner. Cigarettes are taboo, hence something they shouldn't be doing, hence something they do.

Heck, maybe parents should force their kids to smoke so they rebel and quit at an early age!
I may not be the baddest dude, but the baddest dude calls me every morning to make sure we're still friends.

[FnG] Shadow

Postby [FnG] Shadow » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:37 pm

I do kinda agree on the smoking part, I never liked it when people were smoking around me. But I am someone who really fancies a drink, I don't drink because it's cool I drink because it enhances a great time with friends even more, everybody loosens up and we alway have a blast
To come back on the "kinda" of the smoking part, I tried smoking a joint with some friends back in march, and well that was kinda really fun so I'll be doing that again sometime. As long as it doesn't become an addiction and it's done ones in a few months or so then I'm cool with it, but one thing I did notice is that after having tried that I'm not to botherd anymore with people who smoke.

/ nonsense rambling

anywho my opinion is: do as you please as long as you don't bother and or harm people in the progress

[FnG] XOR

Postby [FnG] XOR » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:51 pm

[FnG] ElPietro wrote:Heck, maybe parents should force their kids to smoke so they rebel and quit at an early age!

Actually my wife's mother did that to her kids. She made them sit down and smoke one cigarette after another, until they were sick of it. It worked on her brothers very well. They don't smoke today. My wife, however, just did smoke one cigarette after another, camly and cooly, and it didn't bother her. Nonetheless, she didn't pick it up as a habit. I don't think I would be married to her now if she did. Smoking is one of those strong factors that split ppl into different groups.

As for the fundamental "why?":
This touches upon 2 interesting subjects, both of which could be discussed in separate topics:

1) the need to be loved (relating to peer pressure)
2) the balance between ratio and emotio (mind-based and feeling-based decisions)

[FnG] Dem

Postby [FnG] Dem » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:21 pm

I smoke... *hides* :P

[FnG] Squirrel

Postby [FnG] Squirrel » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:15 am

I haven't read this whole thread, but I read Emu's post. I'd just like to add that i'm 15 and I have never had a cigarette, never want one. I have only once in my life felt like I actually wanted a beer. I was scared :-P

Yeah, i'm going to sleep.

[FnG] GrimReaper

Postby [FnG] GrimReaper » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:43 am

[FnG] LcNessie wrote:Just don't cave, and you will be fine. In about 7 or 9 years you will be hearing your friends say "Man, I really should quit smoking. I tried it 5 times now, but I just can't", and you will be the one running to the store buying the biggest graphix card you can find, because YOU can afford it...

God i do hope so! :D
But what if all the dudes who run stores where they sell graphic cards are terrible sick or have even died because they also smoked and no more stores are open, then what'll we do?

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:47 am

[FnG] GrimReaper wrote:
[FnG] LcNessie wrote:Just don't cave, and you will be fine. In about 7 or 9 years you will be hearing your friends say "Man, I really should quit smoking. I tried it 5 times now, but I just can't", and you will be the one running to the store buying the biggest graphix card you can find, because YOU can afford it...

God i do hope so! :D
But what if all the dudes who run stores where they sell graphic cards are terrible sick or have even died because they also smoked and no more stores are open, then what'll we do?

Open our own? :P
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] SouLCatcheR

Postby [FnG] SouLCatcheR » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:39 am

I have smoked for (wow, now I feel old) 21 years. For those of you who don't smoke, don't start...it's just that simple. Once you start, it's always there in the back of your mind. It's the one habit that I have been unable/unwilling to give up. Drinking on the other hand at one point became a habit, going out with friends on a regular basis and drinking was the only form of entertainment (with a group) to be had and so that's what we did. After moving back to the US, that ended (to dangerous to drive afterwards, made me miss taxis) but for two years in Germany, most of my paycheck went towards it. Sad actually but when you're young, you do stupid things, some of which follow you longer then others.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:17 am

[FnG] SouLCatcheR wrote:Once you start, it's always there in the back of your mind.

Yup. Cigarette craving does eventually go away. In my case, it was probably 10-12 years. I don't recall exactly what made me start - I think it was just an association with being out with friends, having fun, playing darts/pool/whatever. More and more cities in my state are banning smoking in all public places, even bars -- such a ban would have prevented me from ever smoking, I believe.

Mephitic

Postby Mephitic » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:08 pm

[FnG] ElPietro wrote:[...] Now I have quit again, only for mebbe close to 3 months, and I barely even felt motivated. It was more financial than anything else. It costs almost $10 a pack here, so if you go through 3-5 packs in a week, that adds up to a hefty monthly bill that I don't need. Having two mortgages suxxors enough already.

Am I quit for good? I can't say with certainty. It's easy to say yes, but ultimately everyone knows themselves best.

Yay for EP!!!!

You CAN do it... I smoked for over twenty years. I may still not know the extent of the damage I've done, time will tell.

I went through several unsuccessful attempts (during one of those episodes, Teri got fed up with my irritability and bought a pack and literally threw them at me... she said she'd rather have me die early than live a long time as an #%&*@!^). It is not easy, as you know. Nicotine is a terribly addictive drug. The patch helped me, your mileage may vary.

I've been tobacco-free for twelve years now. I'm not an evangelist about it, if you have to smoke, do so... and if you want to talk about any aspect of quitting, email me, I hope I can give support.
2b || !2b

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:16 am

[FnG] Mephitic wrote:You CAN do it... I smoked for over twenty years. I may still not know the extent of the damage I've done, time will tell.

My understanding is that if you stop smoking, your lungs can regenerate a large amount of the damage that smoking does. It isn't like nerve tissue; lung tissue does heal relatively quickly. If you've been off for 12 years, my guess is that your lungs are as pink 'n' healthy as mine. :wink: Maybe even more, since you live up there in that fresh air and I live in the vehicle-emissions capital of the USA ... :( koff koff

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:24 pm

however this all overlooks the fact that pipe smoking and cigar smoking is a fantastic thing to do, pretentious, attractive, smells good to!
(I have no intention of ever smoking a pipe)
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FnG] Hanno

Re:

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Fri May 30, 2008 3:32 pm

[FnG] 7uh wrote:
[FnG] Mephitic wrote:You CAN do it... I smoked for over twenty years. I may still not know the extent of the damage I've done, time will tell.

My understanding is that if you stop smoking, your lungs can regenerate a large amount of the damage that smoking does. It isn't like nerve tissue; lung tissue does heal relatively quickly. If you've been off for 12 years, my guess is that your lungs are as pink 'n' healthy as mine. :wink: Maybe even more, since you live up there in that fresh air and I live in the vehicle-emissions capital of the USA ... :( koff koff

Not sure if this is true or not, but a lot of the teens in this area have that attitude, eg I'll smoke now and give up sooner or later and it'll be fine.
Of course it doesn't take into account how hard it is to quit. It really annoys me to see this silly little pratts walking to school
smoking.

The difference between beer and smoking is that in general smoking is more addictive and harder to quit.
I suspect if they tried most people could abstain from alcahol with only a few hard core addicts.
Although this could also be be because its still acceptable to smoke all through the day, eg you can go out for
a smoke break at work 4 times a day, but your not allowed to go out for a beer break like that!
So its harder to get addicted to alcahol in such an intense way?

Personally I have never smoked, never felt the need and hate being anywhere with smoke. Beer I might
have when I'm really hot and thirsty, although I'd prefer a shandy or even water sometimes as just as refreshing.
Whiskey I do drink on occasion, but by the same token, I can go months and not be bothered about it.

I would love to see smoking banned in all public places whether inside or out. So that you could only smoke inside your own home or car.
Yesterday we went to the Zoo, smoking inside is banned which is fine, but alot of the outside exhibits have little viewing shelters in case
it rains. It rained yesterday, and in each of these little shelters there were people lighting up ciggrettes, not even looking at the animals - just using the shelters as fag shelters. I won't stand in that muck, and I won't let my daughter stand in that either - we left early as
we couldnt actually see the animals without getting gassed. Why should my families day out be ruined because other inconsiderate people can't go without a ciggrette for a couple of hours?

And for any prosmokers who say a bit of smoke won't do you any harm > I get a headache within 30 seconds of just walking past someone smoking.
And all my clothes go staright into the washer when I get home and I have a shower because I can smell it on my clothes from that brief an exposure.
For comparisons sake, I would quick happily spray public smokers with pig muck for the same effect, to see how they feel about it.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

Return to “Media Discussion”