Why The Heck Would You Do Such a Thing (Rant)

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:37 pm

In recent times I am feeling less... happy... and I started thinking... and you know when emus start thinking a big ass Post ranting about stuff that nobody actually cares about follows... :D:P so here goes...

I was thinking about the fact that all the "popular people" smoke, I mean why in gods name would you do such a thing? You know it's bad for your health, everybody does. You know it's addicting... everybody does... you know that it's expensive... if you don't you'll find out...

On top of all of this I am wondering what puts people to saying yes to that second sigaret... I mean come on! the first time you try to smoke one you cough, you might gag or even PUKE, but you sure as hell am gonna cough... then why in gods name will you say yes to the second one? You are not going to tell me that you actually liked it, nobody likes their first smoke... what is it that makes people want to grab a new sigaret and join in with the group...

Well that's just it, the group... in the society of today you have to fit in with the group otherwise you're concidered a loser and nerd and whatever names you might think fit in there... It is no different at school then at home, work, with friends, on the TV... There are people that say TV is evil, because there is too much voilence on TV, that is not the prime evil of TV... it's the commercials... the commercials that state that a 60kg annorexic girl is to heavy and needs a diet... offcourse she would never succeed to starve herself to death without the help of their magical product... All the commercials are made to make you feel uncertain about something, off course the product the commercial is for is perfect for your new found uncertainty... it makes me sick to see a skinny girl saying she's to fat and then using Nivea to make her skin look tighter and smoother and less fat... I mean come on!!! 70 kg is NOT FAT!

Although since some time you can't make commercials for sigarets anymore on TV, you know the ones, with a sturdy looking muscle guy who could only have become that way because he smokes Malboro... or the three friends who can only feel good when they sit around the bar drinking a beer... Something completely different then Smoking, Beer! I mean, I tasted it and thought it was disgusting, I will never drink it again... logic, if you don't like fish, you are not going to buy a fish... then why are there so many people telling me: No you won't like beer the first time you try it but you will have to learn to drink it! COME ON!!! you don't like chicken you are not going to KFC, then why the hell should I go to a beer bar to drink beer while I don't like it at all!

People these days start "liking" smokeing and beer because they want to desperately fit in... if you don't have a sigaret in one hand and a beer in the other you will not fit in and you will feel miserable... After some time they realise how bad it is ("Told you so" comes to mind) and they tell you that they Want to quit... but can't... let me tell you my parents both smoked... when they descided on getting children they first made sure they quit smoking... They Stopped Smoking because they where getting Children! Now I know not everybody has that kind of motivation... but isn't a better health and a S*** load of money not motivation enough... because if you don't smoke... and put the money away... the really heavy smokers will be able to buy a lot of nifty stuff after a week...

The thing that worries me most is the fact that, despite all the warnings and ads against smoking and drinking and all that, a lot of people still think that it's not going to happen to them... now My sister is a smoker... and I love her very much... but if she gets some sort of lung cancer I will be forced to say: I told you so... and I don't want that... I don't think anybody wants that...

Now don't get me wrong this is not a stab at anyone who drinks beer, I mean, like fish, some be do and some people don't like beer (or fish), but I think that people drinking beer because everybody does should reconsider... ow and don't get me wrong, because this _IS_ clearly a stab at any and all that smoke... cause everybody coughs or gags their first smoke... and you can't tell me you actually like coughing and puking...

And for all those who really think nothing is going to happen to them, by smoking or drunken driving... I will tell you this: He whom plays with fire, Will get burned... eventually...
Image Image

Bunnette

Postby Bunnette » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:48 pm

You have a VERY good point Emu. I have NEVER smoked, so I can't say whether I would like it or not - but it was a conscious decision for me not to smoke. I was never one of the "in crowd" at school anyway, so was never submitted to the peer pressure that causes kids to start in the first place.

Amazingly though, I have known a LOT of people who do smoke, and I think I can honestly say that not a single one of them says "I am glad I smoke". ALL of them want to stop, but don't have the courage / strength / will power - what ever it is that's needed to stop. Again - I can't say cos I have never been there!

I would be REALLY interested to know why some people started in the first place and why they haven't stopped - I suppose to help me to understand the reasoning and maybe, just maybe to prevent babybunny from falling into the same trap.

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:56 pm

...And thus spoke teh Emu...

I agree completely with the smoking part, but I *do* like a beer every now and then... Not en masse, after 4 or 5 33cc bottles I call it quits (let alone when I'm the designated driver). Beer (like brussuls sprouts) is an acquired taste. I didn't really like it the first time either, but for some reason (and yes, the group pressure is a factor, you don't say no when someone puts a beer in front of you, when you're at the bar) it grows on ya.

I must admit that I have tried out smoking too, as some of my best friends (no, not Kahbouter, btw...) smoke. It must be the incredibly relaxed (almost numb) feeling you get when you poison yourself with enough CO and nicotine. However this feeling is almost uncomfortable... It still is kind of <enter da kril's favorite post here, I know you want to>, especially with all the warnings. Your third and fourth cigarette still taste like that stuff at the bottom of the barbeque, so that's no incentive...

Just go sit on the couch with a nice pot of Hoeghaarden white beer and a slice of lemon... That's relaxing!

Edit: @Bunnette: It really boils down on social pressure. The same reason why your kid would just NEED THOSE tennis-shoes of 295 euros A PIECE, or those G-Star Jeans which set you back a month's pay... There is very little you can do about it, if your kid is susceptable to this pressure...
With kind regards, Mathijs
WII: 8832 9602 6333 9837

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:05 pm

Like I said on the beer case, some people might actually like beer... and the biggest problem is the group thing... I confess that this is true... don't think I say this out of observation only... I tried some beers... and heard some stories, y'know... and yes I tried a smoke... after the first inhale however I coughed quite a bit and broke the sigaret intwine and threw it away... I just wanted to know what this hype was about...

Some people say it's a stress reliever... but as I think of it... wouldn't it just be something like posting this... or like squeezing one of them foam crates you got with the amstel :D:P

I don't care if you drink beer because you like it but don't tell me that you have to get used to it and then you'll like it... no at first you don't like it... your tast changes every 5 years... but if you get used to it... you will never actually like it... you might want to drink it... or you are able to drink it... but liking it as JinX-D likes iced tea (about 3 litres a day)... if you can honestly say: I drunk my first beer and man it was so good! then I have no problem with it/you... if you are telling me: I drunk my first beer and it was disgusting but I drank another one anyway... because I had to get used to it... don't hate me when I say I think you're an idiot...

@Bunnette, just make sure she understands that she has free will... she always have a choice and nothing those popular guys/gals can say will take that away from her... also make sure that with this free choice she makes the descission that is right for her in the long run...
Image Image

[FnG] Little Devil

Postby [FnG] Little Devil » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:10 pm

i have tried smoking, never enjoyed it. was kinda peer pressured into it. so i dont smoke now because i thought it was horrible. made me feel sick - not something i wanna try again sometime soon. why waste ur money to kill urself..? pointless really.

once people are addicted though its REALLY hard to stop. ive seen my mum when she has none left. craves them soo badly. dangerous tho. and so is the passive smoke that me and my lil brothers and sisters are inhaling .. but what can we do ..

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:12 pm

:bigcry: WWAAAAH! He called me an idiot... WAAAAH!!!

:P:P:P

Well, it's really so... I really didn't like my first beer, but now, just sometimes, when the weather is nice, I really like to pop a nice cool one out of the fridge...

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:39 pm

I never tried smoking (never will either), but I'm kind of breathing it in every day though (my parents). I got kind of used to it.

@Teh_Emu: Though the part of drinking ice tea is true, but you have the same with cola :P

Bunnette

Postby Bunnette » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:47 pm

Ahhhh - good old peer pressure.......why is it that kids have to try and dictate to others how they should dress / look / behave / eat / drink / smoke? Why can't they just accept their *friends* as the person they are. Why can't they get past the oute coating and see what the person is like beneath? Why is it that some kids get so depressed because they don't 'fit in'? Why the HELL should they have to fit in? Why can't they just be themselves???

It makes me so mad!! When I look back at the MISERABLE time I had at school - I hope that no one I know will ever have to suffer that way - but in a very strange way I am kinda glad I had it rough. I never gave in to peer pressure, I have never done (any) illegal drugs; never smoked; never stolen anything; never assualted anyone and my dad (even at my age) regularly tells me how proud he is of me! The price...? A complete lack of popularity at school and not being in with that bloody "in crowd".

A what do I have to show for it? I have a beautiful daughter that I am regularly complimented on (for her behaviour and her good manners); I have the most WONDERFUL BF a girl could want; I have a great job; My dad is proud of me and I have the most incredible second family.

If you are getting pressured by your peers for any reason), or you just feel like you don't fit in - STUFF 'EM!! You don't need that kind of friends. If your friends can't accept you in a 20 euro pair of trainers (instead of the 295 euro ones) then you really don't need friends like that. Go on - take that gamble and be different! There is nothing wrong with being different!

You only get one shot at life - so live it and make sure you do it for you!!!!

</end of Bunny's rant>

PS: Sorry - if there is one thing in the world that makes me REALLY mad (no - it's not Emu!!) it's the pressure that kids get put under when they are growing up! :oops:

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:50 pm

Amen Bunny... Amen :bunny::worship:
Image Image

[FnG] GrimReaper

Postby [FnG] GrimReaper » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:17 pm

I never smoked in my entire life (18 years that is, soon 19) and I never will!

But almost all my friends smoke, so in a way i'm also in trouble ain't I!?

[FnG] LcNessie
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] LcNessie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:18 pm

Just don't cave, and you will be fine. In about 7 or 9 years you will be hearing your friends say "Man, I really should quit smoking. I tried it 5 times now, but I just can't", and you will be the one running to the store buying the biggest graphix card you can find, because YOU can afford it...

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote:Amen Bunny... Amen :bunny: :worship:

...Ditto... By the way, the "In-crowd" isn't what it's cracked up to be. I realized that quite some time ago...

UnKnown X

Postby UnKnown X » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:42 pm

I have never smoked either. I have considered trying it, but I always turn down that suggestion very quickly. There are very, VERY few people who can take "just one" cigarette. The nicotine enters your body and there you go. I have a friend who smokes. He's been caught more than 5 times, he has tried stopping over 10 times, yet he's still wasting health and money on cigarettes. He's addicted (like half the school. . . peer pressure, anyone?)

I'm also not in the "in crowd". Why? I don't smoke, drink much alcohol, and I actually care about school, despite my intense hatred for the one I'm in. That's also one of the reasons I turned to the internet. There are millions of people just like me here. None of that "gangsta' wannabe" idiocy. I just don't like walking around holding my crotch all the time with my over-sized trousers around my knees and a t-shirt that's meant for people 4 times my size.

Yeah, that's about all I have to say for now.

[FnG] pyxie.T32

Postby [FnG] pyxie.T32 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:12 pm

Many people take up smoking for a varity of reasons, trying to be cool is obviously one and the most shallow, however some do it for attention if they are unhappy and wish to be seen, even if it is to be shouted at, they want to be noticd, some do it as a form of rebelion and some just do it because everyone in their family does. I have had cigarettes and was very disapointed, no effect, I coughed a little but felt nothing, seemed pointless, I also have smoked from a bong (fruit tobacco through water) and can genuinly say that that was not to bad, it was much sweeter and did not have the all consuming chokeing effect of smoking fags, also the water does purify it a bit making it slighly less bad. so there is that as an alternative, some people smoke weed, which I understand more, it is more like a drink, you may have one or two but no more, also you dont mix it with drinking (unless you want to throw up...people learn that the two are combined 90% of the time)
so what im saying is im against smoking cigaretts but have some time for shisha or canabis which is more of a 'treat' does not have that everyday scabbyness linked to it (also try carrying bits of coal and stuff for a bong arund with you for lunch break, silly in the extreme)

the important thing is dont be preasured, smoking is bad, if you are being forced to then turn it sideways and shove it where the sun dont shine, have some self respect for your body. if you feel comfortable trying shisha for example speak to someone who knows, that is best, and have 1 take maybe, you might not like it but at least you know and you can say with authority that you are against it.
Gravity, not just a good idea, ...It's the LAW!

[FnG] JinX-D

Postby [FnG] JinX-D » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:31 pm

I don't get the 'trying to be cool' reason... what's so cool about it?

[FnG] ElPietro

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:32 pm

Hey EMU if you are going to write a 12,000 page essay on smoking learn to spell the word CIGARETTE!!!1!!1 :P

I smoked for quite some time. I remember when I was young, I was completely against it. Why would anyone pay to pollute their bodies? It's perfectly logical. But it's also human nature to try new things, and things taboo are always appealing for some reason. I tried one drag once. I got a massive headrush, which actually feels cool. So then I started only a little bit for that head rush. Eventually I didn't get that headrush anymore because there was sufficient nicotine in my system, but by then it was a habit already.

Habits are hard to break. Most will say they are quitting, but have little desire. People subconsiously enjoy their habits, or simply can't break them. I bite my nails all the time. I'm sure if I consciously thought about it, it would be difficult to stop that as well, but I don't really care too much about it.

I quite smoking for a few years, mainly when I was in thai boxing, and thought of competing, and it angered me that smoking was a detriment to my training.

After I gave that up, I got even more into weight training, and powerlifting, but eventually, I got quite stressed out, and used that as an excuse to start up again.

Now I have quite again, only for mebbe close to 3 months, and I barely even felt motivated. It was more financial than anything else. It costs almost $10 a pack here, so if you go through 3-5 packs in a week, that adds up to a hefty monthly bill that I don't need. Having two mortgages suxxors enough already.

Am I quite for good? I can't say with certainty. It's easy to say yes, but ultimately everyone knows themselves best.

My advice to anyone out there is be your own self, and do what you do because it there's a reason to do it. People that don't succumb to peer pressure are the stronger people in society, the leaders. If others need to validate themselves by mimicry, then they are only showing their self-consciousness.

Many people do many things without logical reasons for it. Sometimes trying to understand why is an exercise in futility.
I may not be the baddest dude, but the baddest dude calls me every morning to make sure we're still friends.

Return to “Media Discussion”