FnG English Premiership Thread! (teach yer ole Kril footie)

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:56 pm

Oh no! We suck again! :fartingBob2: :confused14: Spurs led 1-0 at the half, only to let it go all pear-shaped in the second half, losing 1-3.

Well, it was a lively game, a fun match to watch, but Tottenham still don't have the defense to hang with anybody, really. [Granted their strikers let them down, too, all three with a 1-on-1 chance at the net <FAIL!>, but their inability to clear the ball away and "living-on-the-edge" defense continues to be their Achilles heel.]

And frankly, Arsenal were better, creating more chances, more pressure and a butt-load more possession time. It was impressive Spurs held the Goonies out of the net as long as they did.

Youngster Gareth Bale is a bright spot with his wicked spot kicks. Otherwise, it looks more like a relegation battle for Spurs, and not the year they break into the top four. :( One must wonder -- did they need to spend for Darren Bent at all, or was shoring up the defense the higher priority?

sad, loser Spurs fan,
--out-- :horror2:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:09 am

What about this disallowed goal from the Chelsea/Blackburn match?
(see 3:03 into the clip, and the replay)

I guess I don't understand the offside rule -- I don't see how that's offside?
I know everyone loves to see Chelski get screwed over, but that was a goal, wasn't it? :?

Mourinho thinks it was a goal, while Blackburn's manager, Hughes, says it was a half-yard offside. One of these men is an idiot.

Just curious,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:

P.S. Gotta love Mourinho offering the ref his sideline video replay screen. "Look here, stupid!" :laugh: That's pretty funny (and sadly appropriate).
Image Image

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:25 am

Yikes, another Mourinho Special Temper Tantrum® initiated by a marginal decision by an official. You know, although he'd hate to be told it, Jose is not unlike a younger Alex Ferguson in his total distrust of all refereeing verdicts that go against his team. Fact is, Chelsea had a bucket-load of chances but couldn't take them. 0-0 might not be fair, but if 40-odd million pounds' worth of strikers can't net against Blackburn, with all respect to Mark Hughes' side, you need to start thinking about a different way of scoring. Sending Ashley Cole up front is an idea, but possibly not the best one. :wink:

Totally disappointed in Florent Malouda. I saw him play at the start of the season where he looked absolute class, but he's failed to make any sort of notable impression since then. Shame.

I'm just looking at my team (Port Vale) and their start to the season: third from bottom, yet to win at home and only scored twice so far this year. Another relegation fight for us, by the look of things. :(
ImageImage

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:49 pm

OK, fair enough. Chelsea should be able to score on Blackburn, even missing Drogba, Lampard and Pizarro... but my question is, didn't they?

Looking for someone who knows better than me to clarify whether that was on- or off-side, thanks,

P.S. Sorry about Port Vale, Marksman. As a Spurs fan, I can relate intensely.
Image Image

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:02 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:OK, fair enough. Chelsea should be able to score on Blackburn, even missing Drogba, Lampard and Pizarro... but my question is, didn't they?

Looking for someone who knows better than me to clarify whether that was on- or off-side, thanks...
From the angle of the replay in the video you linked to, that looked like offside to me. No part of the attacking player was in line with the last defender as the ball left the foot of his team mate. Therefore: 'BZZZZ!!' -- NO GOAL.

IMHO. :|

Would not like to have to dispute it face to face with Jose though. No sir. :lol:
ImageImage

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:10 pm

[FnG] Marksman wrote:No part of the attacking player was in line with the last defender as the ball left the foot of his team mate. Therefore: 'BZZZZ!!' -- NO GOAL.
Ah, thanks! I suspected I had that rule wrong, and it turns out I do. I was looking to see if the teammate was ahead or behind the ball when it left the passer's foot. Wasn't looking at the defender at all. OK, that's very different. heh :oops:

Much clearer, now i know what the heck to look for, thanks, :thumbup:
--kril out-- :mrgreen: <-----stoopit American
Image Image

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:22 am

OK, wait -- still struggling with "Law XI" of the 17 laws. After Marksman explained it, it seemed pretty simple. But I keep hearing pundits say that disallowed goal from Blackburn vs. Chelsea is proof that football should adopt some form of instant replay. Now I'm confused -- why do they agree with Mourinho?

The relevant bit of the offside rule is actually:
"A player is in an offside position if: he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent." (which is usually a defender who is not the goalkeeper)

In the clip cited above (at 3:03), Marksman is correct that the player receiving the ball (Kalou) is beyond the last defender at the time the ball is played toward him... but Kalou is also CLEARLY behind the ball. Both conditions are not met.

I'm assuming if both conditions are not met, then Kalou should not be flagged offside, which explains Mourinho's jumping around and proffering the video screen, and all the footy experts crying for instant replay.

Or have I still not quite got it? :?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Image Image

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:21 am

Heh heh, you've just hit on the oldest and most confusing argument about the beautiful game. :lol:

Different people interpret the rule in different ways and when there's a situation during play the quick-thinking judgement of the officials can be the difference between a team winning the league or being relegated (just ask Sheffield United). In this case, the linesman probably thought that Kalou was in front of both the ball and the player. The argument for the introduction of the technology is that, when the action is happening in front of your eyes, can you be sure he's on/offside? You just can't assume the forwards are able to tune their runs and dribbling to that level of accuracy, therefore it's a case of assessing the situation as objectively and, as things stand, as quickly as you can. It's a tough job.

This is why it's such a controversial rule and why the career of a football linesman is usually short, eventful, and in some cases, terminal. :wink:
ImageImage

[FnG] Bawsy

Postby [FnG] Bawsy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:44 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:Otherwise, it looks more like a relegation battle for Spurs, and not the year they break into the top four. :(

Why the sad face Krilster - is it because you wont get to see me 'in the scud' for at least one more year? :) On a cheerier note, Dundee United are riding high in the Scottish Premier - 3rd. Which is about as high as anyone gets outwith Rangers & Celtic.

As for offside, such a tricky rule to enforce, and in tight decisions only a TV freeze frame can capture it. I mean the gap opened between defender and attacker can be huge, and take litterally milliseconds, as the defender steps up and the attacker makes his run.

A linesman has to be in line with the 'second last player' (which is usually the last defender, unless the keeper is somehow stranded outfield somewhere), and 'scan' as the ball is kicked. Pretty tricky to do, and if they are a fraction late, they are going to call it wrong. To compensate, they often err on the side of caution, and call it for the defending team.

So, hard enough with the 'vanilla' rule. Now add in all the latest additions regarding whether or not the attackers are interfering with play, and you get flooded with decisions that cause managers, players and fans all to blow their tops!

Still, thats footie for ya!

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:13 am

Whoa-ho! Jose is outta here... wow. :shock:

One of many articles reporting his departure from Chelsea and the likely causes behind the move.

What odds on him replacing Martin Jol at Spurs? Jose has said for a while now that his family are settled in London and that he's got no plans to go abroad in the near future. He's not done coaching yet so I reckon he'll be after Jol's, or maybe even Alex Ferguson's or Arsene Wenger's job if one of them retires any time soon. :shock:
ImageImage

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:31 am

Stunning news — simply stunning. And quite sad, as the many wonderful manager personalities are what I find intriguing about the Premiership (NFL coaches are a much more boring lot by comparison).

Well, I guess Stamford Bridge can no longer play down the rift between Jose and Abramovich — looks to be quite real.

Sky Sports is saying the 0-2 loss to Aston Villa brought things to a head, and the poor showing vs. a tissue-tiger side like Rosenborg in the Champion's League — with only 25,000 to watch at Stamford Bridge — probably sealed his fate.

I certainly hope he lands somewhere else in the Premiership, because his spark and silliness will certainly be missed. And who the hell can Abramovich have on tap to replace Mourinho who's as good or better? A tall order.

:?

P.S. and the Fantasy footie ramifications may be a bit painful. :(
Image Image

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:17 pm

Just let me say this again: Portsmouth 7 (SEVEN), Reading 4 (FOUR). :shock: :shock:
I don't think any of the defenders from these teams will be looking at international call-ups any time soon ...

Match of the Day video of the carnage here.

I mean, there are games that turn into goalfests, but this is just ... just ... silly! :horror2:
ImageImage

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:33 pm

This is brilliant. It's not from the Premiership, but from Celtic's legendary win over AC Milan last night. Watch this incident with Milan's goalkeeper Dida who, when accosted by a loose fan who managed to make it out onto the pitch, seems to be overcome by emotion, alcohol fumes or a knockout blow from an invisible assailant... :?

YouTube video clip

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf:
ImageImage

[FnG] magnolia

Postby [FnG] magnolia » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:06 pm

[FnG] Marksman wrote:This is brilliant. It's not from the Premiership, but from Celtic's legendary win over AC Milan last night. Watch this incident with Milan's goalkeeper Dida who, when accosted by a loose fan who managed to make it out onto the pitch, seems to be overcome by emotion, alcohol fumes or a knockout blow from an invisible assailant... :?

YouTube video clip

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

He was lucky he wasn't hit by your more typical Celtic hooligan :!:
Me? The 13th Duke of Wybourne? Here? In a sixth form girl's dormitory? At three o'clock in the morning? With my reputation? What were they thinking of?

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:18 pm

[FnG] Marksman wrote:Watch this incident with Milan's goalkeeper Dida who, when accosted by a loose fan who managed to make it out onto the pitch, seems to be overcome by emotion, alcohol fumes or a knockout blow from an invisible assailant...

In Victorian times I believe they called that "the vapors" ... :wink:

That man needs some acting classes if he wants to make that look remotely realistic.

Return to “Media Discussion”