FnG NFL Football Thread (or: teach yer Spam King US-footie)

Discussion related to Media
[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Re: FnG NFL Football Thread (or: teach yer Spam King US-footie)

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:28 am

Clear! **ZZZZZZAP!!!**

That should do it :)

With Post-season upon us we have to wonder! With Tom Brady's 2 minute season... with the Dolphins (1-15 last season) grabbing a wild-card... with Favre's 22 interceptions... the Lions 16 lost games (first ever, not for lack of trying last year by the Dolphins :P)... Who will be taking home the Vince Lombardi Trophy?!

From what I can gather there are 8 very strong teams in the play-offs. The Titans with 13 wins, Steelers, Giants and Panthers 12 wins (all First Byes) in the regular season. And all the bird like teams claiming victory in the wildcard rounds (Ravens, Eagles and Cardinals). I'd say it's up for grabs...

Can Eli Manning come back for a repeat?! Can 'Big' Ben Roethlisburger chime in a new era?! Maybe Westbrook prances into the TD area just enough times... Joe Flacco might be a Rookie, but can he pitch for the Trophy?!

I might have followed the season quite a bit but I can't think of all these things for every single one of them :P

Who do you think to be the QB to be going to Disneyworld???

I hope it will be Big Ben, for the reason that the Steeler Defence is good, and I like a great defence... and that Big Ben is so much not anything like a quarterback... you just want him to do well, don't you :wink:
Image Image

[FnG] Drew

Postby [FnG] Drew » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:15 am

Btw since Emu Decided to revive this thread i might point out in the FnG/FDG Fantasy football league he came in 6th in the league ... i aint sayin no mo

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:19 am

As a Dallas Cowboys fan, I have no particular stake in these playoffs, However, here's my outlook:

Divisions:
Giants-Eagles: Philadelphia will hang tough, but I don't see a repeat of their late-season victory over New York. Giants 24, Eagles 14.
Panthers-Cardinals: Carolina didn't lose a home game all season. They'll take Arizona with no problem. Panthers 35, Cardinals 14.
Titans-Ravens: I could honestly see this going either way. I'm going to go with Baltimore because of their defense. Ravens 16, Titans 7.
Chargers-Steelers: This isn't one of the all-time great Pittsburgh teams, but they can handle San Diego easily. Steelers 27, Chargers 13.

Championships:
Steelers-Ravens: I think Baltimore could take this one if the Pittsburgh offense sputters. Ravens 24, Steelers 14.
Giants-Panthers: Any team in the NFC East could beat Carolina. ... OK, maybe not the Cowboys, but New York will have no trouble. Giants 38, Panthers 10.

Super Bowl:
Giants-Ravens: I don't think a repeat in the cards for Eli Manning. Baltimore brings the bling back to town. Ravens 17, Giants 14.

We'll see how these predictions hold up!

Quick, somebody add to the thread, or I may go back and rewrite this after the weekend ...

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Divisions:
New York Giants - Philidelphia Eagles : 21 - 17
Carolina Panthers - Arizona Cardinals : 28 - 21
Tennessee Titans - Baltimore Ravens : 16 - 14
San Diego Chargers - Pittsburg Steelers : 13 - 21

My predictions have no basis in reality... I'm just guessing here. I've seen some regular season games, nearly everything by Giants and a lot by Steelers. I'm sticking to the fact that Ravens Defense will hold strong but not enough, similar to Steelers defense (which will be enough).

Championships:
New York Giants - Carolina Panthers : 24 - 21
Tennessee Titans - Pittsburg Steelers : 17 - 18

The Giants are approaching this Superbowl slightly differently than last year, more pressure = harder points. But they do have Home field advantage (yay! a win). Titans will struggle with the pressure of being favorite for the title and thus won't make it to the Superbowl (poor guys).

Superbowl:
New York Giants - Pittsburg Steelers : 19 - 21

It's gonna be hard, it's gonna be tough... but the Giants will not be able to repeat. I'm hoping for an edge of seat experience (like last year). Go Big Ben!!! :P

Haha! No deletion for j00 Zuh! :P
Image Image

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:55 pm

I don't really have any argument with your predictions, Emu (other than that it's uncommon for a team to score exactly 18 or 19 points in a football game). You could well be right about the Giants and the Steelers.

I don't really want either of those teams to win, because as a Cowboys fan I have to root against both those teams. The Giants are in the same division as the Cowboys, and the Steelers and Dallas have played the most Super Bowls (3) against each other of any two teams. (Not that I'm a big Ravens fan either, mind)

Plus I like to see new teams in the Super Bowl, or at least for new teams to win. So it would be cool to see a victory by the Cardinals (who've never played in a Super Bowl) or the Eagles, Titans, Chargers or Panthers (who've played, but never won one). I just really don't see any of those teams lasting to the end.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:06 pm

Tonight/Tomorrow schedule:
  • Saturday AFC: Baltimore Ravens at Tennessee Titans - CBS - 4:30 p.m. EST, 3:30 p.m. CST, 9:30 p.m. UK, 10:30 p.m. Netherlands
  • Saturday NFC: Arizona Cardinals at Carolina Panthers - Fox - 8 p.m. EST, 7 p.m. CST, 1 a.m. UK, 2 a.m. Netherlands (Sunday morning for Euros)
  • Sunday AFC: Philadelphia Eagles at New York Giants - Fox - 1 p.m. EST, Noon CST, 6 p.m. UK, 7 p.m. Netherlands
  • Sunday NFC: San Diego Chargers at Pittsburgh Steelers - CBS - 4:45 p.m. EST, 3:45 p.m. CST, 9:45 p.m. UK, 10:45 p.m. Netherlands

Ravens/Titans: This game is almost a pick 'em, two closely matched teams. Question mark for Ravens is QB Flacco, getting his first taste of post-season action as a wet-behind-ears rookie. He did not shine last week against the Dolphins, but on the other hand, he made no mistakes, either -- no sacks, fumbles, or picks. And that may be enough with the Ravens' killer defense. Question mark for the Titans -- good news is they get Pro-Bowl defenders Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch back; bad news is they are short on cardio training and may wear out. Can Tennessee stop the Ravens' run and/or Flacco? Give the edge to the Ravens, if only because we all want to see more games with amazing Ed Reed. (see below)

Cardinals/Panthers: On paper, Panthers should win this game going away. They are the better team, somewhat overlooked by the press. Of course, on paper, the Cardinals should've lost LAST weekend to the Falcons, too. But they didn't. The Cardinals are a terrible organization with one of the worst owners in the NFL, yet here they are in the second round for the first time in 10 years. Common sense says Panthers win, but I'm rooting for upstart "manky Cinderella" Arizona, if only because I loved watching QB Kurt Warner in '99/'00/'01 when his every other pass was a bomb TD for the Rams' "Greatest Show on Turf" teams. It'd be nifty to see him go on a bit.

Eagles/Giants: This is almost a pick 'em, too. Eagles defense has been coming on crazy-strong the last few weeks (looking all Raven-like), and the Giants are missing a couple pieces from last year's championship team (Burress, Strahan), but still playing very well. If the Eagles bring the "full-load-o-lumber" D like they did last week against the Vikings (and against the Cowboys before that), and McNabb doesn't turn the ball over, they may well sneak out of New York with the upset. I'm rooting for Eagles since I'm sure [FnG] Metamoose-mo-naut is, and I'd like to see more hits from Eagles' super safety Brian Dawkins. (see below)

Chargers/Steelers: Not much to say about this one -- Norv Turner's luck runs out in Pittsburgh. Chargers will be without Tomlinson, and no way Sproles does to Steelers' D what he did to the Colts last weekend. Steelers win, could be a rout.

Super-Kewl Players to Watch! :thumbup:

Two all-world safeties, these defenders are the ones who really scare quarterbacks and give offensive coordinators nightmares. They are the ultimate loose cannons on the field, able to change a game in a heartbeat, like suddenly discovering the grenade in your hand is missing its pin. [POOM!]

Baltimore Ravens safety Ed Reed, #20
This guy has been playing completely out of his mind on Level Ridiculous™ somewhere outside the orbit of Mars all season. He's an incredible pass defender, tricking QBs into throwing balls to him, and his interception returns are some of the best NFL highlights you will ever see, period.

Look at his int return last week as he blew up the Dolphins almost single-handedly (left), :shock:
and a compilation of his big plays (right). [in the compilation, just look for the ball to suddenly go in the opposite direction. That's Reed, #20.]

Philadelphia Eagles safety Brian Dawkins, #20 - "Weapon X"
Normally I'd laugh at someone nicknamed after the X-Men's Wolverine, but this guy walks the Weapon X walk.
One of those 'motor' or 'energy' guys, Dawkins just keeps on coming, relentlessly creating havoc for opposing teams.
He often makes the offense look foolish, and he's easily one of the hardest-hitting players in the NFL.

Wolverine fans will get a kick out of this ESPN profile (left),
while there's a nice compilation of his season '08 nastiness (right).

Should be some smack'em games this weekend.
Enjoy,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Hah! I was pretty close on the Ravens game – but Cardinals-Panthers was another story entirely!

I didn't expect the Jake Delhomme to chronically toss away the football like a piece of burning hot dog poop ... and the Cardinals obviously didn't miss a step, even without Anquan Boldin ...

I'd love to see Arizona in the Super Bowl, and if their defense (and offense, for that matter) continues to be that good, I don't really see why they couldn't be there.

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:
  • Sunday AFC: Philadelphia Eagles at New York Giants
  • Sunday NFC: San Diego Chargers at Pittsburgh Steelers

"Wait ... strike that ... reverse it." -W. Wonka

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:38 pm

I can't remember two games that better illustrated the effect of turnovers on games at this level. Wow.
Turn ball over = death. Write that down, Jake. And boy, were the Titans' turnovers costly, JUST as they're about to score.

[FnG] Zuh wrote:"Wait ... strike that ... reverse it." -W. Wonka
:oops: Whoops. Sry, Willy.

Eagles/Giants are playing out their "pick 'em" as we speak. Go Weapon X!

Philly are gettin' away with the upset, methinks,
--kril out-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Wow, Philly is really looking good. (Well, McNabb wasn't that great, but still, they certainly handled New York.)

Eagles-Ravens would be an excellent Super Bowl matchup, the way both teams are playing ... Cards-Ravens wouldn't be bad either. I just really don't want to see Pittsburgh in there yet again.

I love the Ed Reed highlights, Kril. I was feeling bad because Baltimore made the Cowboys look like high-schoolers, but obviously Reed has single-handedly humiliated the entire NFC East. :shock:

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:32 pm

Now if the Steelers lose, do I get a retry on my predictions?! Because I didn't get any of them near the actual outcome :P

But that does prove my point that I need a lot of learning when it comes to US Footie. It was a great match up between Giants and Eagles but Eli Manning... he must have trouble sleeping... for at least a week. Also, what was that last fumble all about?! Seriously...

Anyways... now I hope the Chargers win it because then none of the top 4 seeds even make it into the Divisional championships, that would be fun.
Image Image

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:52 pm

[FnG] Rotten_Emu wrote:But that does prove my point that I need a lot of learning when it comes to US Footie.

Trust me, you're doing every bit as well as the so-called sports experts. At this level, really, almost any game can be a toss-up, as Kril pointed out.

I think it would be great if the Chargers win too. Three out of four teams in the finals who've never won a Super Bowl? There would be plenty of ecstatic fans.

[FnG] metamucilnaut

Postby [FnG] metamucilnaut » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:04 am

[FnG] Da Kril wrote: Eagles/Giants are playing out their "pick 'em" as we speak. Go Weapon X!

Philly are gettin' away with the upset, methinks,
--kril out-- :dizzy:

First the Phillies and now maybe the Eagles. Wow, they beat the Giants. Go Eagles! :D

[FnG] 7uh

Postby [FnG] 7uh » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:41 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:Super-Kewl Players to Watch! :thumbup:

Yeah, as much as I can't stand the Steelers, I always enjoy watching Troy Polamalu -- but Reed and Dawkins are just unreal.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie isn't half bad either, plus he has the cool Franco-Scottish name thing going.

I'm glad they all have a shot at the big show. Signs point to "oof" for some good defense this weekend ...

Return to “Media Discussion”