Oink Farming - Gates of Kryta mission

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
ChoKILLate[FDG]

Oink Farming - Gates of Kryta mission

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Ok since this topic has been ask about a lot by various FnG members, I figured it was worth its own thread? Basically Oink farming/Oink runs refers to soloing a small part of the Gates of Kryta mission with or without the help from Oink the pig (who is invincible). You enter the mission, kill the first 4 undead, then go to the left to get oink and continue down the left (back way) to agro a huge group of undead. Then just resign and redo or continue on till you get to the main gate. The most commom builds are R/Mo or Mo/x, although it can be soloed by other classes as well.

The reason to do oink runs used to be due to all the drops, golds, and dyes. Now that those drops have been cut in half and dye prices have dropped the one reason to still farm it is for holiday "special" drops that are not nerfed by solo farming and for decayed orr emblems that can be traded in during various holidays.

Most Ranger builds use Barrage and Judges Insight along with Oink to do the body blocking and tanking. Then you just barrage the undead with Judges Insight on for double the damage. Monks tend to 55 it with various builds. Below are some builds and a picture of what drops used to look like pre-nerf and what they look like now during the special weekends.

Pre-nerf (Pop's character). Less damage, more healing, no oink needed.

Pre-nerf. More damge, using Oink to tank.

Post nerf using a Dervish/Rit build I came up with after a lot of tweaking. Tons of damage, good healing:

EDIT: Cropped and shrunk 57-mile-wide image to better fit the forum. – Kril :wink:
Leggo my Eggo?...no, Necro my Ecto!

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Re: Oink Farming

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:33 pm

ah :mrgreen: now it makes sense..great guide :thumbup:, lily told me earlier tonight but didnt have so much details ;)

:jump:
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Tigerlily

Postby [FnG] Tigerlily » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:00 pm

...... which is probably something to do with the fact that I'm a total teaspoon, Rampy :lol: I know the theory, but can't do clever stuff like our Chokky!! Just give me a bow, Oink and Judge's Insight, and I will make my way slowly but surely to the finishing point. :mrgreen:
Jack of all trades, master of none.

ChoKILLate[FDG]

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:56 pm

Sorry about the 1680x1050 widescreen image Kril! :oops:

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:08 pm

[FnG] Tigerlily wrote:...... which is probably something to do with the fact that I'm a total teaspoon, Rampy :lol: I know the theory, but can't do clever stuff like our Chokky!! Just give me a bow, Oink and Judge's Insight, and I will make my way slowly but surely to the finishing point. :mrgreen:

It wasnt the judges insight you told me that :D

With my ranger I had 4/5 ranger skils and judges ;) however it seems i need a lil more self heal /protections ;)

Yep if it comes down to farming im a teaspoon :oops:
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:32 am

Are you doing those in Hard Mode? I did one quick run last night, got 3 cupcakes and about 2k worth of drops (runes) and a gold in normal mode. Also what's the skill in slot 6 and what are your attribute allotments (Ranger build 2)?

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:44 am

[FnG] Malvos wrote:Are you doing those in Hard Mode? I did one quick run last night, got 3 cupcakes and about 2k worth of drops (runes) and a gold in normal mode.
I'm guessing he is -- hope I didn't crop that out. :oops:
See this page on Guru here. Lots of nice builds collected in the first post, different classes. Certainly a starting point to make your own.

That Post wrote:RANGER-Holy Barrager: (need Zealous bowstring, need Oink)
Marksmanship: 12+3+1
Expertise: 9+1
Healing Prayers: 9
Smiting Prayers: 3

Barrage{E}
Judge's Insight
Lightning Reflexes
Whirling Defense
Vigorous Spirit
Healing Breeze
Mending
Live Vicariously

Note: Hard mode tends to have more 'scattering' and can take a bit longer, but you get nice golds and lockpicks. Normal mode is better for speed and grabbing stacks of Orr Emblems, but the drops are poopy, golds more rare.

Also, remember to kill the two Undead groups attacking the villagers at the beginning (as ChoKILLate says), before going left for Oink. Spawned groups down the 'secret' path will be bigger = more dosh.

[FnG] Malvos wrote:what's the skill in slot 6 and what are your attribute allotments (Ranger build 2)?

It's Watchful Spirit. Divine Favor monk skill from Prophecies. This skill shows up in farm builds because you get +2 health regen with NO points in the attribute (obviously, since Divine Favor is only available to monk primaries).

hth,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:

P.S. @ ChoKILLate: Generous Was Tsungrai, still good even with the 10% sacrifice? (Heh, I guess just don't cast it when your health is way down?)
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

ChoKILLate[FDG]

Re: Oink Farming - Gates of Kryta mission

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:47 pm

As a ranger you want to bring Oink and call a target so that oink body blocks, then you can stay up the hill some and just rain down barrage....unless you do Pop's other build that does not require oink.

My dervish build does not require oink either so I use Generous Was Tsungrai as a pre-cast spell and when VWK is recharging. Although I take a health hit I also gain maximum healh (~100hp). Once I drop it or click on VWK (which drops it for me) I get healed for over 200 health. Great dwarf armor (60hp) and Vital boon (~80hp) also gives me extra health points...around 700 total and if I let vital boon wear off I also get health back. When I am down to just a couple of of creatures I use the last skill which gives my scythe holy damage, so I can do double damage on them.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Thu May 01, 2008 2:12 pm

The ranger build is a bit more difficult to do in hard mode. I would recommend bypassing the first four and just heading straight to Oink if you're doing hard-mode, because the mesmer elite in GoK is Ineptitude. Hard to damage as a ranger when you're spending 50 seconds of every minute blind. [2 mesmers in 1st group]

You'll have a smaller group than if you killed the first four... but at least you'll GET a group.

Honestly, with the way they nerfed drops I think it's better to just do it in normal mode and get collector items. Also, sell all the bones that drop for extra $$$. You'll typically get about 700-1000g per run [AFTER item sales] in normal mode, and then extra depending on what runes drop for you or if you get a lucky black or white dye.

Note: A "properly done" ranger oink run can be completed in about 4:45, give or take 15 seconds depending on damage randomization and how Oink behaves while tanking.

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Thu May 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Can this be done with the average 55 monk build? (Or the 135 as I'm using :)) It doesn't seem to differ that much from the run from Bergen Hot Springs to Temple of the Ages in terms of it being undead etc... Just better drops, correct? Might have to try it... :)

ChoKILLate[FDG]

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Thu May 01, 2008 4:24 pm

This can be done with a 55 no problem and the only difference is that this mission has a bigger mob group so you save time. The group at the bottom of the hill has around 40 creatures that can be killed really fast with some holy AoE damage.

I rarely do this or any farming in HM. The only thing in HM worth doing IMO is raptor farming and chest runs. I do oink farming in normal and even then, only during special drop weekend as the drop rate of "special items" is not affect by party number and is the same no matter where you farm. Since this area has a larger than average mob that goes down quick with holy damage, I find it ideal. The decayed orr emblem that also drop can be saved and traded in on Thanksgiving or Wintersday at a trader in LA. Other areas include the raptor area in GWEN and vermin area in Factions, but those creatures are higher level and require a more specific build.

Return to “MMO Gaming”