HM Perma-Shadow Form farmin'!

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

HM Perma-Shadow Form farmin'!

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:40 am

Hard Mode perma-Shadow Form farming is teh bomb — even stoopit noobz can do it, and that counts me in! :greentongue:

Get in on the fun before ANet swings the big nerf-bat again.
(Although, perma-Shadow Form was possible before the recent skill change, but it was trickier to do, using an As/Mes with Arcane Echo.)

I had a crazy-lucky run last night in North Kryta Province, whacking on the Tengu in the little basin area out of D'Alessio Seaboard. Torgo, Witt and I were messing around with a couple of these builds and we realized you can take out not just the Tengu, but also the Ettins (runes!) and the Skale. After some experimenting, I found the Skale AND the Mergoyle bastiches just MELT under Sliver Armor with a healthy dash of poison.

Fire Imps and Ancient Oakheart = hurty. Stay away.

One of the runes turned out to be a major vigor, and one of the gold pauldrons had a sup vigor! With all the feathers and other junk, that run was 23K for 25 minutes' noodling about. um, woot! (note: result not typical)

A couple runs later, the game tried to loot-scale me, so the drops turned to mostly feathers and Caromi scalps. HA! Feathers is why I'm there, stupid game! That run I went back to guild hall with 190 feathers (before salvaging the scalps!). Mwahaha. Only made 8K.

A/E build is:
Glyph of Swiftness
Deadly Paradox
Shadow Form (these first three keep you alive = wise)
Glyph of Lesser Energy
Sliver Armor
Aftershock
Intensity
Viper's Defense (AoE poison)

16 Shad Arts (+4 hat)
12 Earth Magic
3 Deadly Arts

Need lots of energy, full Radiant insigs and one or two Attunement runes. A +15-20 energy staff with +20% enchant.

Over on Guru, they're talking about 20-25 minute runs to the Chaos Plains in the Underworld, to scrape up some Mindblade Spectres for ecto globbies.

Lookit this guy's drop!

This UW run is in normal mode, btw.

Build is:
Glyph of Swiftness
Deadly Paradox
Shadow Form
Fire Attunement
Glyph of Lesser Energy
Mark of Rodgort
Lava Font
Flame Djinn's Haste

16 Shad Arts (+4 hat)
12 Fire Magic
3 Deadly Arts

You need a fiery +5energy/+20% enchant sword/spear/axe with a 20/20 fire off-hand.

I've been doing the Raptor cave with this as well — much easier. Drag the raptor patrol with you into the cave, you don't care. (you will need to replace viper's with a heal like Shadow Refuge, though, because Brood-bitch is gonna stick you with Twisting Fangs and what-not.)

You can go outside Olafstead and clear all the Ice Imps and Ice Golems you can find, very easy. Minotaurs too.

hth,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] spim

Re: HM Perma-Shadow Form farmin'!

Postby [FnG] spim » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:36 am

:shock:

HOLY POOP!!

:shock:

i gotta get me some o' dat!!
Hey, Hawking! ... I got your "Dark Matter" right here, pal!

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:02 am

Nice, time to dust off the ol' 'sin.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:25 pm

For those with the relevant high ranks in GWEN skills, Intensity is better replaced by Ebon Battle Standard of Honor (a bit more damage, and party-wide effect, if there is a party).

With Asuran rank 5 or better, Air of Superiority (AoS) is much preferred. This skill comes from The Path to Revelations quest -- many people keep this quest unfinished (so, no AoS) in order to farm Norn points in Varajar Fells. The various benefits of AoS, even though you don't know what/when you'll get, are all helpful in farm runs. That recharge is lovely.

Asuran Scan is another option, as is Radiation Field.

A Mes/Assassin version of this build:
Code: OQdVAEhOQf8ZiHZJQnBGwtUDQGwlBA

Deadly Paradox
Arcane Echo
Shadow Form [E]
Spirit of Failure <---costs 15, but nets +51 energy per cast in HM (and can cast on TWO enemies!)
Radiation Field <-- need Asuran rank of 5+ to make this worthwhile
Empathy
Wastrel's Worry
Shadow Refuge

5 Fast Cast
13 Domination
12 Inspiration
1 Deadly Arts
12 Shadow Arts

Totem Axe and Vokur's Chakram.

Some are using the above to solo Tombs of the Primeval Kings. :shock:

An As/Mes version of this build:
Deadly Paradox
Arcane Echo
Shadow Form
Ether Nightmare
Cry of Pain
Spirit of Failure
Feigned Neutrality
Dark Escape

Shadow Arts: 16 (+4 hat)
Deadly Arts: 6 (sup rune)
Inspiration Magic: 12

Max armor with radiant insignia on all pieces

Spear of Enchanting (20%)
Inspiration Focus (Without FCR or FSR)

Folks are using the above (with a couple other special weapon sets) to solo-clear most all of the Underworld. In Hard Mode. :shock:

hth,
Image Image

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:33 pm

Wow, cool. :shock:

Doing Tombs runs with FnG compadres has been one of my favourite GW experiences to date. Can't imagine being able to solo it - extraordinary ... :shock: and another :shock: for good measure.
ImageImage

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:17 pm

I had thought to try Tombs with that build as well. Kril are you sure you are able to put attribute points into Fast Casting if you are an assassin primary? Wouldn't it be like trying to put points in energy storage for a A/E?

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:05 pm

[FnG] Malvos wrote: Kril are you sure you are able to put attribute points into Fast Casting if you are an assassin primary?
Nope. In fact, I'm sure you cannot. That build is Mes/Assassin. Typed it wrong.

Fixed now, thanks,

P.S. Also added the true As/Mes version of the build, that folks are using on the Underworld.
Image Image

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:33 pm

now this looks very interesting to try, gives me a reason not to squash my storage sin.

How do you use the build for the sin as i'm a complete noob with sin's ^^

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:32 pm

I can confirm that the sliver build works well for Totem Axe farming, only got one but also got white dye, keys and a Forgotten Fan, not sure how much those go for though. I think I might try this one for Ghail as well, although the drop rate for his staff is probably still pretty bad. You could probably also use something like this to do some running as long as you don't run into things with knowdown signets or nasty touch skills.

One note for the Totem farm, you can basically take down anything (normal mode) as long as there are no scarabs around, if you start damaging them they use vampiric touch which will quickly drain you. And for the Behemoths you need to target each Life Pod individually and take them down first, so make sure you pull some Wind Riders or Trolls along with you, but try not to kill them.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:37 pm

[FnG] Unholy Eve wrote:How do you use the build for the sin as i'm a complete noob with sin's ^^

See this helpful thread on Guru.

RezDogg on Guru wrote:Usage (Sliver Armor version) :
  • Use Glyph Of Swiftness, Deadly Paradox, then cast Shadowform (Use this combo everytime to renew Shadowform and keep it up aslong as you want with ease).
  • Use a running skill to pull enemies together (if you use one). Try pulling as many enemies as you can, and pull them around until they are really tight together for more effectiveness and faster farming.
  • Use Glyph of Lesser Energy, cast Ebon Battle Standard of Honor, then Sliver Armor (you can use EBSoH before or after using Sliver Armor).
  • Use Air of Superiority before enemies start dying to gain benefits, keep it up as much as possible.
  • Keep Shadow Form up at all times!
  • Conserve energy when you need to... Use Glyph of Lesser Energy only after using Shadowform, so you don't cancel it out with Glyph of Swiftness.
  • Repeat usage until all enemies are dead.
  • Target and attack enemies if there are only a few left to keep them from running away from Sliver. Using Staff is recommended as you can wand them from a distance away and bring them back to Sliver.

Counters: Knockdowns, AoE damage, Touch Skills, Signets, and some Monster Skills.

It's really quite versatile — you can sub out the damage skills to your taste. It's skills 1, 2, 3 that you gotta lean on.
I have a dagger/Crit version with Death Blossom I used to clear ALL the Grawl out of Witman's Folly outiside Port Sledge, a bit slower, but not nearly as energy-persnickety as using the Ele skills. (Witman's Grawlz is great for material stackage, tanned hides, iron and wood, btw)

hth,

[EDITED TO ADD:]

For the sliver armor version, I run with 57 energy. All Radiant insigs, with 2 attunes.
Here's the perfect staff:

Crafter's inscribale from Bolereh in Camp Hojanu, + insigthful head, Hale & Hearty inscrip, +20% enchant wrap

If you don't wanna worry about energy so much, and just stab stuff.... try this version

Maj Dagger and Maj Crit runes. Energy is 37. You need 30 E to run your Shadow Form,
but with a huge dump of +20 E from Way of the Lotus and the Zealous mod on the daggers,
energy will be no issue. If you do need energy, just stab for a few seconds without using the
attack skills — your bar will fill right up (33% attack speed buff from Crit Agil) :wink:
Image Image

[FnG] Seraph

Postby [FnG] Seraph » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:08 am

Bah, I really want to do this now that I have the skills and all, but Shadow Arts runes aren't in stock at the trader.

If anyone sees any in stock at any time, pick one up for me, and I'll compensate the loss.

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:14 am

If anyone as an SS necro I'd like to try this build as part of the 55/SS instead of the monk. i think it would be a lot safer and much faster with the tank helping with the damage output.

[FnG] Seraph

Postby [FnG] Seraph » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:22 am

I'd need to get a bit more cash, so I could buy the visages and echo, but otherwise I could fill in as that spot. It'd have to be either on one of my off days or early afternoon though.

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Ive got the SS duo build for UW on Eve so if anyone fancies a few run's i'm game also setting up my sin to farm just need the rune trader to have sin rune's lol

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:24 pm

[FnG] Seraph wrote:Bah, I really want to do this now that I have the skills and all, but Shadow Arts runes aren't in stock at the trader.

You can actually run the build with a major Shad Arts rune in the hat (15 shad arts), if you wish.
It'll just require more attention to recasting your Shadow Form skill trio -- less room for error.

hth,
Image Image

Return to “MMO Gaming”