HM Perma-Shadow Form farmin'!

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
ChoKILLate[FDG]

Re: HM Perma-Shadow Form farmin'!

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Finished up making my assassin on Saturday. Got to level 20, got armor, got runes, got staff, got to ascension area in Factions!

I went into UW 6 times:

1. Died getting used to build with aataxe but got 1 ecto
2. Got all the way and cleared plains. Got 5 ectos, 1 sapphire, 2 UW maps, key!
3. Blocked by behemoths at entrance. No way through, 0 ectos.
4. Blocked by behemoths near entrance, slowed, bleeding then killed by the darkness. 0 ectos.
5. Got all the way and cleared plains. Got 7 ectos, 2 keys!
6. Got all the way and cleared plains. Got 5 ectos, 1 UW map.

It looks like you either have a clear path or you are screwed. Keep up fire attunement, and hug edges as you run through with the fire run skill. In between Behemoths you re-cast everything, and dont stop if you are near a darkness!
Leggo my Eggo?...no, Necro my Ecto!

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:24 pm

Yeah, it really depends on the Behemoth spawns, if you are totally blocked you can go back to the starting area and finish the quest by killing the Terrorweb Dryders who also have a chance of dropping ectos I believe, as well as the rest of the Aaxtes that you may have skipped. Those are some pretty high ecto counts though, usually I only get 2 or 3 at the most (only killing Spectres not all Aatxes) along with a couple gems. One thing about the Darknesses, they are pretty persistent but once you break aggro they seem to get amnesia and don't return to their original patrol so you can pull them out of the way, run and leave them to give a clear path to the Plains. Also don't forget to take the Spectres with under 100 health as they won't break aggro, will let you clear a little faster, and it's kind of fun to watch all 27 of them go down at once.

ChoKILLate[FDG]

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:46 pm

The above was from killing all aataxes in first area, then graspings, then running to plains. I tried bypassing the aataxes during lunch and got:

7. 2 ecto, 2 ruby, 1 map from just the plains.

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:22 pm

did my first run to the plains ( I got all the way yay :D ) and got my self 5 ecto's and a load of other booty and the spawns make a whole load of difference for running there.

I was thinking of trying it in HM but what could I use instead of the Lava skill to stop them running off ?

ChoKILLate[FDG]

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:06 pm

There is no real reason to do it in HM. It will take much longer, the monsters run off more, and the ecto drops are the same. You may get a few more gold drops and IF you ever find a chest you might get an elite tome but I know of easier areas to just chest farm in HM for tomes. ;)

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:46 pm

[FnG] Unholy Eve wrote:I was thinking of trying it in HM but what could I use instead of the Lava skill to stop them running off ?

I agree with Chokky in general. See this Guru thread here for tips and a build for Hard Mode UW soloing. It's Assassin/Mes, bit of a different build.
Much slower, and you must learn to pin monsters against "choke points." But yes, better (non-ecto) drops.

Skills:
Feigned Neutrality
Deadly Paradox
Arcane Echo
Shadow Form
Dark Escape
Ether Nightmare
Cry of Pain
Spirit of Failure

Attributes:
Shadow Arts: 12+3+1
Deadly Arts: 3+3
Inspiration Magic: 12

Equipment:
Max armor with radiant insignia on all pieces

Since most folks do the run for the ectos ($£€), they don't worry about Hard Mode. The ecto drop rate is the same for NM and HM — and NM is easier and much quicker.

CBE's KvnDoom wrote:I don't find doing it in Hard Mode worth the trouble. If I want cash or rares, I have plenty of places to farm for those. I do UW solely for ecto. Kills will take longer in HM, and Hard Mode does not increase your chance of getting ecto.

Getting back to the Sliver Armor version of this build (tengu, ice imps, frozen elementals, secret snowmen, grawl, kappa, skale, mergoyles, raptor cave, etc.) — I had a bit of a :idea: last night (pulling my head out of buttocks area, a bit).

Spim and I had been talking about what optional damage skill was best to include, once we had the (much preferred) Ebon Battle Standard of Honor in the build. I had tried Aftershock and Radiation Field — both were kinda meh, OK.

Then I realized it was silly to take Intensity out. Intensity's +22% (or whatever) stacks on top of Sliver's damage and EBSoH's damage! D'OH! *slaps forehead*
So, depending on the foe, let's say you're doing 20 a whack with Sliver, +8 or 9 with EBSoH (yes, it buffs Sliver!), and then Intensity adds +22% on top of that = hurtz!

Don't replace Intensity with EBSoH — just add it in.

I'm doing 46 damage on snowmen where I was doing 38 damage, etc. Iz faster! Iz goodness! :thumbup:
[edit: numbers]

As for the UW Chaos Plains run — there is much talk about how to get by the behemoth spawns in the thread Malvos linked to earlier.
As far as I can tell, you can almost always get by a three-behemoth spawn, and sometimes get by a four-spawn. Running skill helps (Dash is preferred by most), and knowing how to set off traps and get away is essential.

This is not a failed run — just go between them with Dash.

The trick to using Dash effectively:
KvnDoom wrote:You have to get close enough that by the time your 3 seconds are up, you are well past the traps. And path yourself that you do not bump into anything or otherwise stop moving. Even turning too much can slow you down enough to spring a trap. On occasion a trap will hit its 90 second duration and auto-spring while you're running over it, but that's just random bad luck.

You can walk in, trigger trap, and run-skill back — traps take almost a second to activate.

One clever way to clear the path is to bring the Ebon Vanguard skill Assassin Support.
Send in your poor 'sin to find your mines for you! :laugh: Then run through the sprung traps.

Hope that helps,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

ChoKILLate[FDG]

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Thanks for all the extra stuff!

I never have a problem running past them with the current build. The only time I can't make it is when it is completly blocked. The flame djinn haste lasts longer and I prefer it when running past the air squids. I also use the AoE damage from this from time to time.

BTW I found that this build is great for running in general. Just change out some of the ele skills for normal asssassin or dwarf skills and you can go chest running or whatever....maybe run droks?

*NOTE* If you use an essense of celerity and have 15-16 in Shadow arts you dont need to use the 2nd assassin skill that wastes 15 energy. You can replace that with more fire damage or dash or whatever. You will proabably want to bring 2 just in case (30min).

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 pm

hmm I still seem to be having a little bit of trouble getting past the first group even with flame djinn's haste active ><
any ideas on what to maybe change it to?

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:47 pm

[cough]see post above[/cough]

dash

If you're in Hard Mode, they're probably going to keep up with Flame Djinn's.

:mrgreen:
Image Image

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:39 pm

I just switched from FDH to Dash as the last skill and it makes getting by the traps much less nervous, just hit dash and can run right through the middle as long you don't touch anything.

ChoKILLate[FDG]

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:29 pm

There are 2 groups of blackness. The first comes down to the first set of behmoths just once. Wait for them to come down before running in. Then just follow them up till they stop. At this point recharge everything and wait for group 2 to come down to group 1. This is when I run past both groups. The second group will continue to follow but usually not that close, you have time to cast everything again as long as it is not all at once. :wink:

Even if I get hit by the first group of behemoths with a trap, I can usually survive, because I only catch the tail end, which is a fast burn, a cripple, and a bleeding. This gets me near death but I switch out my staff to a +30 offhand and all is well.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:00 pm

ChoKILLate[FDG] wrote:There are 2 groups of blackness. The first comes down to the first set of behmoths just once. Wait for them to come down before running in.
In the thread on Guru, they say if you get this first group in your way, then you're going up too slowly. They seem to miss them entirely.*
I'm not sure, since I don't know exactly when the "Blackness-clock" starts ticking. It may be simpler (if a bit slower) to do as you describe, and just plan on being 'later' than the Blacknesses.

must try variations,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:

* EDIT: I have this wrong — it's the second group of Charged Blacknesses that you can get ahead of by moving quickly up the mountains. Sry. :oops:
Image Image

ChoKILLate[FDG]

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:29 pm

Let me know if anyone wants a run through. I showed flag yesterday. He came in with a char, died, and watched me spam skills to kill or bypass aataxes, then run to plains. I have yet to try it as dual assassin, but it should be doable if both stand close together for spikes and brings rez scrolls (just in case).

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:33 pm

I imagine this could also be done with an SS necro to speed things up, kill Aatxes, go for Smites, then the assassin could go do the Planes on his own, not sure if it's worth the extra time but for me it seems that ecto drops from the Mindblades aren't all that great, maybe 2 if I'm lucky, usually it's from the Aatxes or Dream Riders.

ChoKILLate[FDG]

Postby ChoKILLate[FDG] » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Really? I average 5 a run when I solo and most if not all come from the plains.

Drew is now an offical expert at it also. I went in with him about 8 times (not all of them made it to the plains) and we did dual assassin runs. I did have to bring a few rez scrolls and would just drop one in an area until we cleared it out. Then bring to next area and drop again. I noticed that in all but one run, the drops seemed to not be as good with 2 peeps....like dual smite runs :roll:

I wondered if we were killing them too fast and if there was some sort of timing to it? When we slowed down a bit, we got 5 total. Could just be coincidence.

Return to “MMO Gaming”