Hobby Project GW MissionDb (warning long post!!)

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Hobby Project GW MissionDb (warning long post!!)

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:39 am

[EDIT: made sticky Jan. 7, ’09] -Kril

KEEP TRACK OF ALL YOUR TOONS WITH LAMBIK'S HANDY GW MISSION DATABASE!

The past few weeks(months) we have been working on a hobby project for administering Guild Wars missions.
Based upon the idea of Sphinx and Lily in GRHHOexcelHSSPITT format, which is very usable if you have that MS program.
The idea is to keep track of which character has played what mission with a certain result (Standard, Bonus, Master,Hardcore,etc).

click >> MissionDB << click

Thinking it would be easy to setup the same layout in Apache webbased PHP form backed with a MySQL database (one or two weeks it will be finished)
and it almost was, but then came Java and connection to the phpBB3 forum login, which made things more juicé and fluid.(and complicated).
(notice the subtile accent of the writers preference)

To use the tool you can also click the link in the forum banner area,
you will be prompted with a new tab(or window).

Some explaination of what you will be looking at.(You have probably first clicked the link above, played arround, and now comeback to read what it is all about :cheerleader: )

CharacterTab (First):
When you first visit the MissionDb you will be asked to create your character(s) first (not needed to do them all at once, you can add other characters later, but aleast one !)
Click the 'add char' button on the bottom, and enter you characters information (name, profession (prim,sec.) creation date, remarks/pressent , character seq, and checkbox storage.
The remarks/pressent is text for additional information. The seqence is used for the order in which your characters are displayed on the MissionDb. [edit] (mandatory! )
Additional on this page you can enter the information about chest runs(nightfall) on the 'Chest Run' tab.
To enter information just click on the 'dashes' behind you character name underneath the run for which you want to enter the information. A popup will be shown
in which you can enter your data. (advise: keep it short, like December => Dec.)

StylesTab:
If you have created one or more characters, you can enter the Styles Tab, this is where you can setup the type of result you would like to use.
You may leave it to default values and customize it later when you get the idea of how it all works.
In case you ever completely loose control you can select 'Reset to default style'.
In basic you can style any 'letter' (character like S=standard, B=bonus, etc) to any color you like. That style will be shown on the Show Results page.
Also you can set here the main background colors and the campaigntab colors.

Show Results:
If you have not created any character this page will be 'empty' (only showing a message that you have to create a character first.)
This page will be showing you per campaign all your characters and mission list with the corresponding results.
On a mouse over the result will show you a tooltip with a short explaination of that result (like result is showing 'S' then tooltip will suprisingly say 'Standard')
This can all be set on the StylesTab.

Mission Results:
This is the page where you can enter (or edit) the mission results. Per campaign all your characters and missions are shown with editboxes in which you can enter one or two letters.
When you move your mouse pointer over the editboxes a tooltip will be shown, listing your current set of missionresults from the StyleTab.
Each campaigntab has a 'submit' button on the bottom of the page, but you can change/add result on one campaign tab, then switch to the next without pressing 'submit',
make changes on that page too and press on that page the 'submit' button. Both campaign tabs will be saved.

Hopefully this can be usefull, else it was good fun to create such a tool, with different techniques to ask for userinformation.(plain textbox, popup and show/hide)

Credits:
:rockin: Dakril for testing, supplying information, hints and images, :thumbup:
:rockin: Rampantbunny for testing and ideas
:rockin: LcNessie for testing and ideas (dropdown boxes instead of textboxes for anyone who would like to try let me know)
:rockin: Yasmin for the coffee :cheerleader: (j/k, she helped with adding mission information & links, testing and ideas)

:rockin: Sphinx&Lily for the genuine idea and helping testing.

phwew, that was quite some text here, almost more Posttext here then codingtext done on the tool :crazy:

-L-

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

ImageImage

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Re: Hobby Project GW MissionDb (warning long post!!)

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:24 am

:jump: yay its hereeee :jump:

PS: how about an "elites captured" list :P *runs away very fast* :alarm:

edit: hadn't seen the fact yet you can click on a certain chest in chestrun and will get a map :oops: :thumbup:
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:45 am

:raveclub:

:thumbup: :strawberry: :dizzy: :woot: :thumbup: :strawberry: :dizzy: :woot: :thumbup: :strawberry: :dizzy: :woot:

Congratulations! You done good, Lambiknator -- it's friendly and impressive.
Wow, that was a big job, quite a project. Nicely done.

Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

Much appreciated, :worship:
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:52 pm

Have filled in details for one char :pinkalien:

Very good Lambik - you have done a superb job - I like the links to mission maps and chest maps - nice touches.

This must have taken some time, and clearly you have worked very hard at it.

Impressed :thumbup:

Sphinx
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Rotten_Emu

Postby [FnG] Rotten_Emu » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:30 am

Had a little run with it... added my Tyrian Protector to the database and I was wondering... Would it be possible to just make an option and set it to "Tyrian Protector", which then automatically fills all the fields for me? (Same with other continents and the Guardian Title track). It would also be fun the other way around that it would track progress in titles. (when Elite skills will be added as per Da Kril's suggestion).

For example, I work on my monk towards the Protector title in Cantha and with a quick glance can see I need 3 more missions, I know which ones and what aspect I still need.

Looking for something like http://www.bf2s.com where there is just a page tracking all my thingies easily. I vote for drop down boxes as well btw.. I had no idea what options I had to fill out (yeah because I didn't read the post initially...) and I needed to scroll for the last mission in Proph.

Anyways... an A+ for the idea, it's a diamond in the rough and I'm sure together (as in the whole community) can help shape it to become brilliant :)

[Edit] the URL in your post is borked :wink:
Image Image

[FnG] XQZ

Postby [FnG] XQZ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:17 pm

Well, As the link works now for me for the very first time - i am very impressed!! It is such nicely done!! GREAT work!!!

I have just added Multi to it, but im wonderin whether its possible to see other characters or not?

Cheers!
Multi

[FnG] Silke

Postby [FnG] Silke » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:14 pm

I have filled in 2 chars and are now trying to sort out the details.

So far i like it.

It would be nice if you could see were the other guildies are in there missions and chest runs.

:rockin: :rockin:

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:06 pm

!The link was borged: assimilated by Java

Rotten Birdy wrote:Would it be possible to just make an option and set it to "Tyrian Protector", which then automatically fills all the fields for me

It shouldn't be to hard to add an additional colomn in which you can enter the 'result' for that character for all missions on that campagne. **hips**
but reworking the handling of data into the database will be the tricky part :(

Silly Birdy wrote:(when Elite skills will be added as per Da Kril's suggestion)

Don't listen to Kril, he always :whipping: me to make me do my work :P
Have to see how this data is related, but shouldn't be a to big problem to add.
** have said that on the first time starting this whole thing, should be easy to make, one week . . two weeks tops :crazy: now working on it for 2-3 months :tease: **

Microsoft Poisoned Birdy wrote:I vote for drop down boxes as well btw.. I had no idea what options I had to fill out

If you had used a proper webbrowser :tease: (you probably did :lol: ) you would have seen the tooltip appear which shows your predefined results.
Predefined as in : Setup on the Styles Page where you can enter/modify result types to any form you like.(limited by the number of digits/characters(letter).)
[note: quick&dirty added your id to test the dropdownboxes, for other ppl : It will be added as option a.s.a.p. somewhere)]

Narrow Vision Birdy wrote:and I needed to scroll for the last mission in Proph

On my screen it shows all the colomns and rows :twisted: , but I was indeed afraid that ppl running at 'lower' resolutions will have problems.
Some browsers have the option to Zoom in/out (press <CTRL> + scroll-wheel) sometimes one step is enough to get the whole page.

An other option is to get rid of the 'Quest to mission' in the vertical text, and narrow the width of the mission name fields.
If other ppl don't mind loosing the [quest name] in the mission header, then it shouldn't be to hard to fix that.
But then I have to warn you about the 'drowdown' boxes, when you are going to enter the mission results, it will be painfull to your eyes :jester:

RedDotAlertSirSilke wrote:It would be nice if you could see were the other guildies are in there missions and chest runs.

I like the idea, not sure if everyone likes that, we will have to wait & see.

thnx for the comments,

Lambik
**start of looking what 'elites capture list' is all about, btw what Rampantbunny wrote about, poor Da Kril being falsely accused :cheerleader: **

ImageImage

[FnG] spim

Postby [FnG] spim » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:56 am

okay ... it's a great idea to have this kind of database

but I sure am lost .... (one too many lobotomies, I guess)

on the MISSION RESULTS tab i get this (cropped a small portion of the entire page) ...

I thought, "That can't be right." .. so went ahead and did i never something do .. I tried it in IE on my Windows machine (i NEVER allow myself to browse the web with this - only on the Mac where it's safe)

it renders the same in IE on Windows XP with all latest updates.

I've only put in 3 toons so far - is it supposed to have them over and over (maybe 20 times or so)??

and monkeying with the "styles" I made as many backgrounds white as I could ... because I like legibility.
I don't see a way to change the character name text and tab text colors - they are now very light tan on white ... so, invisible nearly.
am I missing that setting somewhere?
Hey, Hawking! ... I got your "Dark Matter" right here, pal!

[FnG] Cooks

Postby [FnG] Cooks » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:52 am

As for the if people want their characters to be shared or not, you could add an option to hide each character? Then only display results where people haven't selected it :thumbup:

Great, I like it! :)

[FnG] Silke

Postby [FnG] Silke » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:32 pm

[FnG] spim wrote:okay ... it's a great idea to have this kind of database

but I sure am lost .... (one too many lobotomies, I guess)

on the MISSION RESULTS tab i get this (cropped a small portion of the entire page) ...

I also had that but i edit my second char and put in 1 under "storage" ,i guess if you use new number for your chars you will get this right.

I have no ideea what its for but it worked. :crazy:

//Silke

[FnG] Tigerlily

Postby [FnG] Tigerlily » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:41 pm

I like Emu's idea for the 'Protector of ....' - it could save a lot of box ticking. Good thought Emu :cheerleader: (We all seem determined to keep you at it, Lambik, sorry :( )
Jack of all trades, master of none.

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:16 pm

I have also had a mess around with the "styles" and I have found the same thing as Spim - some of the things you cant change.

You should not have put this feature in Lambik - coz peeps are going to find things they cant do and want them = more work for Lambik :hammer: :hammer:

But i do like it :) :)

Sphinx

You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:36 pm

@ Spim: When adding a character it seems important to use the seqence number field,
I would not have expect that but appearently it's needed :( (One thing I can add is a prefilled seqence number when adding a char.)

Lambik

ImageImage

[FnG] Yasmin
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Yasmin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:15 pm

[FnG] Tigerlily wrote:I like Emu's idea for the 'Protector of ....' - it could save a lot of box ticking. Good thought Emu :cheerleader: (We all seem determined to keep you at it, Lambik, sorry :( )

I made diferent backgroundcolours so you can see very clear wht is done and what isn't :wink:

Return to “MMO Gaming”