New Year's GW Resolution

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] Marksman

Re: New Year's GW Resolution

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:00 am

Good news from Vex Peculiar in the Far Shiverpeaks - the Norn will challenge the Destroyers (as long as they're "hunting", and not actually "helping" anyone), the Charr have had their furry hides kicked into touch, and I have a slew of new and funky Elite skills to play with, too. All that remains is to convince the gnome-like Asura to join the fray and take the fight to the Destroyers; a route I've already tested with my Ranger.

At this point I feel I have to say the following: Eye of the North has made me fall in love with Guild Wars all over again. I think it's judged just right; the quests are pitched perfectly (and in the main, don't take two hours to do each stage like Prophecies'), the storyline and characters are new and fun, and there's enough interest to make you go back and challenge the dungeons (although I think that not giving you Light of Deldrimor until you've virtually completed the chapter is a bit stingy - I could really use that much earlier without having to go back with it). Really enjoying playing again. :woot:
ImageImage

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Woohoo! Epic revelations in North Tyrialand lately as Vex Peculiar sinks the big, bad, Uber Destroyer thingie to become Champion of the Snowpeople or something! Yay! :woot: :woot:

Would insert screenshots here but they're on my other computer and I can't face up to tunnelling through the Christmas mess to get to the desk. Too much like work.

Anyways, with the central Eye of the North mission thread completed (with one character, at least), I now look to start acquiring some titles and filling up my Hall o' Monuments in readiness for the arrival of Guild Wars 2. Besides which, it'll be fun to do all the side-dungeoneering stuff now with less time pressure.

Vex has the upper hand among my 'toons in having captured plenty of groovy Elite skills but there are more I could make use of in order to get my Heroes some armour outfits; and therefore plonk some statues of Pyre, Gwen, et al onto the plinth in the HOM. I'm targetting Glint's challenge for this but a couple of Elites from the olden days - ones that I never got round to acquiring with this character - would definitely make things easier.

THEREFORE - Question for you knowledgeable Guild Wars types - what's the best way of getting super slick Elite skills you've captured with one character onto another? Is there a quick way or do I have to slog through the last seven quests of Prophecies with Vex in order to snag Panic from Hell's Precipice or Spiteful Spirit from the Iron Mines? :(
ImageImage

[FnG] DressyVirus

Postby [FnG] DressyVirus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:07 pm

use elite tomes for the relevant class on the char you want the skill on.

this will allow you to have any elite skill you have captured with out having to go through recapturing it.
"Today's gamers are some of the most whiny, self-centered, narcissistic bunch of crybabies I've ever seen, honestly." Lyria DDO Forumns

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:12 am

[FnG] Marksman wrote:what's the best way of getting super slick Elite skills you've captured with one character onto another? Is there a quick way
As DressyVirus says, Elite Tomes will allow you to gain skills that are unlocked on your account (i.e. some toon sometime has acquired it somewhere). They range from about 6 to 10K depending on profession, so if you have the gold, you can hit Spamadan for a quick fix. (You can't actually transfer skills among toons, btw.)

OR, if you want to throw real money at the problem, you can buy Skill Unlock Packs via the NC Soft store from the Guild Wars screen. There is a set of 241 'core' skills and then sets for each of the campaigns. About £6.5 each (US $10 ).
The unlocked skills are immediately available to your heroes and PvP-only characters.
For PvE toons, the unlocked skills show up at the appropriate Skill Trainers to acquire.
For Elites, you can then use an Elite Tome for skills you've gone nowhere near (no trudging).

(I bought several of these packs when they were on sale for half price a couple years ago.)

[FnG] Markymarksman wrote:do I have to slog through the last seven quests of Prophecies with Vex in order to snag Panic from Hell's Precipice or Spiteful Spirit from the Iron Mines? :(
• You can get Panic from Mallus Funo, a mesmer boss in the Prophecies quest The Titan Source.
Grendich Courthouse —> Flame Temple Corridor —> Dragon's Gullet.

• Spiteful Spirit is easy to get from Nighh SpineChill, right outside Camp Rankor in Talus Chute (may have to re-zone a couple times to get him to spawn). If you don't have Camp Rankor, get a run there from Beacon's Perch.
Or can now be gotten from Zaln the Jaded (D'Alessio Seaboard) during the War in Kryta chain of quests.

Hope that helps,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:

P.S. Congratz on killing off the Eye of the North expansion. Nice work! :yahoo: :D
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:31 am

UPDATE: The Shining Blade Bounty for Wednesday, Jan. 5 will be Zaln the Jaded.
I will be sure to pick that quest up, so if you want to grab Spiteful Spirit on whatever toon, I can take you.
(or you can pick it up yourself if you've gotten underway with the War in Kryta quest chain...)

hope dat helps,
Image Image

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Congrats Marksman!

I have elite tomes laying around, if you need any. I'm pretty sure I have at least one of each profession.

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:13 pm

Slow but steady progress is being made on filling Vex Peculiar's Hall of Monuments with interesting, memorable and timeless items for history to record.

The main project that's running right now is to acquire a set of Elite Luxon Armor. This creates a double achievement in adding an "Ally" title award, by virtue of the faction transfer required to acquire enough Jadeite, as well as a statue of the armour itself.

The thing is this. The fastest way to farm faction, as I see it, is through PvP battles in Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood. This is fine, except that Aspenwood is slightly stacked against Luxons and therefore more unpopular with players than JQ.

The thing with that is that even though the arena is fair and victory is 50/50, Luxon teams seem to be absolutely hopeless at Jade Quarry. Seriously - I've got a Mesmer build that can trash mine points and guard posts with ease, but all I see is Kurzicks Necro-bombing mines and winning battle after battle by trouncing my team mates. Weirdly, although there's no reason for it, I never see this done on the Luxon side in retaliation, nor any counter-strategy to avert the problem. It makes no sense whatsoever and it's making my task harder (as well as my blood boil).

Last weekend I must have entered 30 battles and been on the winning side twice. Twice. What's with that?! :banger:
ImageImage

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Marksman you could start trying to do MQSC [Mount Qinkai Speed Clear] which is done from Fort Aspenwood outpost German Dis 1.

A good team can clear the area in under 10 minutes netting you around 9k luxon points a run.

Hope this helps a bit :thumbup: (currently needing another 3.2mil before mine's maxed :( )

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Monk/Paragon is good in JQ - you guard/run the turtles, and you can outheal a necro bomber ;) and you can also get a shrine back if it is captured. Well you could last time I playd JQ 18 months ago or so :)

Necro bomber is fun, but the Mo/P is productive.

Just a thought but if you are always losing, then maybe rather than guarding a shrine, go and kill Kurzick turtles, and capture their shrines - no shrine = no turtle running.

Luxons always did seem to be bad at JQ and there is/was loads of botting which doesn't/didn't help.
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Another thing you can do, is vanquish the luxon areas, so combine 2 title tracks together. Do it in Hard Mode, you get much more faction and a bonus for vanquish. You should get some nice pressies from the beasties also. Lots of bosses also, and they give you bonus faction also. I seem to remember getting 15k luxon or so from Boreas seabed. Not as quick as MQSC, but usually 30-40 mins.

You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 am

[FnG] Sphinx wrote:Another thing you can do, is vanquish the luxon areas, so combine 2 title tracks together. Do it in Hard Mode, you get much more faction and a bonus for vanquish. You should get some nice pressies from the beasties also. Lots of bosses also, and they give you bonus faction also. I seem to remember getting 15k luxon or so from Boreas seabed. Not as quick as MQSC, but usually 30-40 mins.
Thanks for the suggestions, chaps, I tried vanquishing Gyala Hatchery yesterday and although the drops weren't particularly impressive the 15,000 or so faction for about an hour's effort certainly was. :)

Two-thirds of the way there with the Jadeite shards now (54/80) and not too bored with the more grind-ier aspects of the game so far.
ImageImage

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Thu May 12, 2011 9:31 pm

I've taken this mission on big time, now, and finally making progress on my Guildwars legacy ahead of the release of GW2 at some point circa 2284. To talk about this in words alone would take an eon, so here's a pictorial representation of the state of play.

The bottom line is that I need money. Lots of money. And an all-human team to conquer The Eternal Grove. Who's up for it? :D

ImageImage

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu May 12, 2011 11:34 pm

Some fairly cheap (yet not so 'grindy') Hall o' Monuments things you may not yet have gotten done:
  • Complete War in Kryta and get an Oppressor Weapon from your Medals of Honor earned (repeat; another point for 5 special weapons)
  • Get MOX
  • Complete the Mini Moa Bird Chick scavenger hunt quest from Zho's Journal.
  • Register all of these items in your HoM

Also, knock out Sorrow's Furnace when you take the moa egg in for heating, if you haven't already.
For other handy suggestions, see this 'Quck and Dirty' 30/50 Hall o' Monuments Guide.

If you're close to a break point on your Devotion monument, I can throw a couple miniatures your way.

hth,
--kril out-- :dizzy:

P.S. Sure, I'll help with Eternal Pain mission. :thumbup:
Image Image

[FnG] Marksman

Postby [FnG] Marksman » Fri May 13, 2011 7:27 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:P.S. Sure, I'll help with Eternal Pain mission. :thumbup:
Cool! 8) :yahoo:
It's one of those missions where you just can't rely on using henchmen because you have to be in umpteen places at once. :panic:
Monday evenings (lunchtime your side, if I remember) are coming back around to being available for me so we could do one of our meet-ups and have a crack at the start of next week if you like? Let me know what time is convenient for you.

I'm hampered somewhat by not owning a copy of Nightfall but I'm doing the best I can with what I've got. I can still do the War In Kryta chain of quests, right?
ImageImage

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun May 15, 2011 9:24 pm

[FnG] Marksman wrote:I'm hampered somewhat by not owning a copy of Nightfall but I'm doing the best I can with what I've got.
I can still do the War In Kryta chain of quests, right?
Yeah, you just need Prophecies and EotN. See the link I gave above for more specifics.
Need to listen to seven speeches from Thackery/Gwen in HoM, and get Lion's Arch Keep unlocked. etc.

I can try to be on during my lunch tomorrow (May 16), ready to go at noon (6 p.m. your time), I think.
Does that work for you?

Image Image

Return to “MMO Gaming”