Best way to unlock a bunch of stuff for GW2 for a newbie?

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] ElPietro

Re: Best way to unlock a bunch of stuff for GW2 for a newbie

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Heya Troog,

Kinda dropped off the face of da earf for the past month. Final week before the wedding, and then the honeymoon kinda put GW1 on the backburner lol.

Anyway, I'm back, but just sorting emails and praying I'm not sent out on travel again. Not sure how often I'll be able to get on at night, probably easier during the day, but I can always leave steam on. Mrs. EP is crashing here most nights instead of her condo, at least until the one we are having built is completed, so will be sporadically online at best for now.

Don't know if I'll have the funds ready for a new PC for GW2 launch or not, so you all may get a good headstart. :(
I may not be the baddest dude, but the baddest dude calls me every morning to make sure we're still friends.

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well. I'm still on the fence about GW2 but since Diablo3 seems like it doesn't really have a lot of long term replayability I might revisit GW2.

I'll probably wait though to see how it runs to get a feel if my current system can run it ok, just got a "new" 6850 but everything else is still at least 5 years old.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:11 pm

The demo runs smoothly on my older PC at medium settings, so I think you ought to be OK.

I have been continuing to play a little here and there the last few weeks. FDGies have been online a little, too. For my part, I've been continuing to farm quick-hitter materials useful for getting my FnG peeps to 30/50 in their HoM. Looking at your HoM calculator, Malvos, I thInk I have on hand most of what you'd need to get there, as well as what EP and Nihilist need. The stuff can be unlocked after GW2 comes out, so no rush. I'll hold onto it.

I'll be online tonight, later (after attending a funeral for a friend - another dad whose son goes to school and plays basketball with my son - shot and killed by a mugger last weekend - so I can use a little levity this evening). Possibly Saturday evening, too.

[FnG] Malvos

Postby [FnG] Malvos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Wow, that sucks. I might be on tonight but with my account hacked I might need a lot of help getting back to a playable state.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:53 pm

[FnG] Malvos wrote:Wow, that sucks. I might be on tonight but with my account hacked I might need a lot of help getting back to a playable state.

Ugh, forgot about your account hack a couple years back. (I'm a poet, didja know it?)

When I did a back-of-the-envelope calculation of what it would take to get you to 30/50, I assumed you would NOT have to play the game much, and maybe not at all ... but I counted on you having some elite armor sets. Did those get hacked? If so ... the only one that would be hard to replace would be the Kurzick elite armor, but even in that case, the Amber can just be purchased. Materials have come way down in price.

(BTW, the funeral was a good one - very, very packed. The guy was an immigrant from the Central African Republic, and he had a lot of contacts in the African diaspora in Milwaukee, especially Senegalese immigrants who he'd helped out in the past. Hundreds of people showed up, thousands probably for the visitation. The bastards who mugged him used one of his credit cards at a hot dog stand shortly after the crime, and were caught on security camera - hopefully just a matter of time before they're apprehended. The family, and that whole community. is devastated, though. Insert phrase of your choice regarding civilization circling the drain, hell-in-a-handbasket, Clockwork Orange imagery or whatever. Linkie to local news story, though in typical fashion, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel had him immigrating from Senegal -- he told me he grew up in the Central African Republic. Journalistic standards circling the drain, too.)

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Sorry to hear about that, Torgo. :(

Newspapers always seem to get the facts in local stories wrong. Two of my friends died in a car accident in 1997, and the story that was printed in the newspaper didn't resemble the true events at all. I was in the car, so I know that for a fact.

It's not really their fault though. They try to find someone willing to talk to them about the story, and then they're only as accurate as the account they're given. :/

Unreliable witness, etc. etc.

I hope they catch the guys who did it.
Have you blamed Kril lately?

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:58 am

Alrighty - Malvos just checked in some booty, and here's his situation:
-- as of July 16, was at 24/50
** Checking in a rare pet (Phoenix, has to do the last mission in Factions) brings him to 25
** Checking in some Elite Luxon armor brings him to 26
** 1 more 15k armor set brings him to 27
** Checking in Destroyer Daggers (got some uncustomized & ready to hand off) brings him to 28
** 12 more minipets (any quality) brings him to 30

I see EP got a statue or two, and filled out his minipet collection, so here's what I think is the easiest way for him to get to 30:
-- as of July 16, was at 22/50
** Checking in a Phoenix (see above) brings him to 23
** 1 more statue brings him to 26 (recommend a UW or FoW clear with guildies as the quickest)
** 2 more armor sets brings him to 27
** An oppressor weapon and a destroyer weapon (I have stuff for these sitting in storage) brings him to 29
** any 2 other weapons brings him to 30 - oppressor weapons are easiest to get, and EP's dervish & my paragoon were knocking off that storyline a few weeks ago - just need to pick that up again, and the oppressor weapons will come fast

Nihilist's got the farthest to go, so I saved some big ticket items:
-- as of July 16, was still at 10/50
** One green mini (I have a Gwen he can dedicate) and any 7 other minis -- brings him to 12
** Checking in 7 EotN heroes with Cloths of the Brotherhood (I have these in storage, but he'll need to complete Eye of the North to use them) brings him to 15
** Luxon and any 4 other armor sets brings him to 20 - this can all be bought with enough money, but he'll need to play through the campaigns enough to get to some 15k armor crafting NPCs
** A tormented weapon, an oppressor weapon and a destroyer weapon (I can get him these) brings him to 25
** Zaishen statue brings him to 30 - I nearly have the 200 Zkeys needed for this

So Nihilist needs to get in game and play some. I'm sure lots of guildies would love to help. 8)

Malvos and EP just need to play a little, and they're set.

[FnG] ElPietro

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:53 pm

[FnG] Torgo 3000 wrote:I see EP got a statue or two, and filled out his minipet collection, so here's what I think is the easiest way for him to get to 30:
-- as of July 16, was at 22/50
** Checking in a Phoenix (see above) brings him to 23
** 1 more statue brings him to 26 (recommend a UW or FoW clear with guildies as the quickest)
** 2 more armor sets brings him to 27
** An oppressor weapon and a destroyer weapon (I have stuff for these sitting in storage) brings him to 29
** any 2 other weapons brings him to 30 - oppressor weapons are easiest to get, and EP's dervish & my paragoon were knocking off that storyline a few weeks ago - just need to pick that up again, and the oppressor weapons will come fast

Yeah, I had thought of checking in with ppl to see if they had any z-keys, since that would get me 4 pts I think, 3 for the statue, and 1 for the 5 statue plateau, but there are lots of ways to do it.

I think I have close to 1 mill in gold and ectos, with 1 7th year present I can still sell for 40-45e if needed, so I don't think buying my way there will be an issue. I was thinking of going to 35 HoM pts for the title. Figure 99.782% of people will be either 50/50 or 30/50 so 35/50 may be a bit more distinct...kinda like the smell that trails da krill.

My dude is at the final cantha mission, so can get the phoenix, just been lazy. I'm at the riverside assassination quest in WiK just been busy painting my condo that will go on the market as soon as I'm done, so not much time to hop on during the day.

I may not be the baddest dude, but the baddest dude calls me every morning to make sure we're still friends.

Return to “MMO Gaming”