Best way to unlock a bunch of stuff for GW2 for a newbie?

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] Nihilist

Best way to unlock a bunch of stuff for GW2 for a newbie?

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Long story short:

If you had no account, and were going to buy GW to try and unlock stuff for GW2, what would you need to do it?

My understanding is that EOTN is the expanison which brought the Hall of Monuments into being, and thus that's the only essential part (other than one of the three stand-alone pieces to bolt on to, of course). Confirm/Deny? :D

My wife is interested in the second game and has never played GW, ever, so she has zip-a-doodle-squat. I have some Vanilla characters that I never really did a whole lot with, but I never bought/played Factions/Nightfall/EOTN.

(And yes, the goal is to unlock mini-pets and animal companions for the female player...)
Have you blamed Kril lately?

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Re: Best way to unlock a bunch of stuff for GW2 for a newbie?

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Firstly if you haven't already looked at it I present the Guilds Wars 2 Hall of Monuments Reward Calculator

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome

It's yo big a$$ check list for all rewards so to unlock everything you'll need 40/50 "reward points" as the last 10 are just for 2 titles.

As for Factions/NightFall and GW:EN each game has many, many, many skills that would make the character classes more fun and enjoyable.

Titles: Having each of the games presents you with more of the titles, come to think of it you won't get that far into the rewards with just GW and GW:EN, on the plus side now you can get the complete GW's package (all 4 games + the starting bonuses) for the price we all payed for the original game.

After having a quick check of the reward calculator the easiest way to rack up a few rewards will be:

Devotion:
Buy 18 year 1-3 mini pets, buy 1 green and gold mini pet. Those 20 pets will unlock 5 rewards.

Fellowship:
Not that quick to do from the "off", 3 heroes with correct upgraded armor, 1 level 20 ranger pet and 1 rare ranger pet (black moa, imperial phoenix or Black Widow Spider) will get you another 5 reward points.

Honor:
3 accounts linked: I believe its 3 accounts made it to the hall of monuments either way its the easiest 3 points you'll make.
5 statues set in the hall, completing each game gives you a statue so there's 4, 1 pvp statue - Rank 3 of the Luxon or Kurz Title from the factions game lets you set the pvp 1. So after those 5 statues you'll get another 8 rewards.

Resilience:
Expensive and time consuming, 5 sets of "elite" or expensive armor will net you another 4 reward points.

Valor:
More expensive and time consuming then the last lot. Destroyer, Oppressor and Tormented are the items this time.
Destroyer - Complete GW:EN and head to the last dungeon, speak to the crafter.
Tormented - Complete Nightfall and make you're way to the Domain of Anguish, collect gemstones from the elite area's trade for coffer of whispers and hope it drops you an ambrace - trade ambrace for tormented weapon. Or buy for well over 100k (each)
Oppressor - Complete Guild wars, GW:EN, and then start "Guild Wars Beyond", War in Kryta extra Gwen and Kiran quests. You will need 10 "Medal of Valors" (I think its this item willing to be corrected) after finishing WiK you can trade them for the weapons. 1 Character that completes Wik should have nearly 10 of the required items and can be completed by every character.

5 weapons (1 of each + 2 extra's) will get you another 5 reward points.

This is what I believe to be the quickest and easiest way to get 30/50 reward points.

Also a handy guide for mini pet prices:

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/minipet-everlasting-tonic-price-guide-t10363615.html

Hope this helps you both.

(also would some kind person invite Unholy Eve back to the guild so she can lick her nasty "haxed" wounds please :D)

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:54 pm

good guides eve :)

PS: just tried to invite you to the guild but it said you are already a member of one ;)
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 am

Thanks for the help. :D

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:50 am

@Rampy - It'll be because I'm still the owner of the hackers guild, I'll drop out next time I'm online.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:30 am

There's an excellent Quick and Dirty 30/50 HoM Guide on Guru.

You will likely need all the campaigns, I'm afraid.
You will definitely need Nightfall for the heroes, both for ease of getting around/playing through,
and because you need to give them fancy armor sets (for the fellowship track).

And you will need to keep track at the HoM Calculator, as Eve said.
The calculator is very interactive, allowing you to plan out what things to do/get next, and see the resulting score ahead of time.

Also extremely helpful is Lambik's wonderful GW Mission Database, which shows you which quests to do on each continent,
and lets you check them off to keep track as you go. (especially useful for Eye of the North)
Lambik explains how to use his guide here.

I've got some spare mini-pets I could throw your way, I'm pretty sure.
I'll try to get on this weekend and see what's what, if you're about.

Good luck,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:45 am

Most of us should have a few horrible year 1-2 mini pets that you can have as they are worthless, some of us should also have many, many, many horrible green awesome green boss weapons you both could have. I'll have a check round my characters and see what I've got lying about.

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks, Gents. :D

Trying to find a second copy of GW Complete right now. I managed to pick one up yesterday, now I just need to find number two.

30 bucks for all four titles isn't bad at all.

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Also since its Easter the sweety items are dropping again, Chocolate bunnies which are worth +2 points and the Golden eggs which are worth +1 point and also count towards the Treasure hunter title.

Easy place to grab a few of these is in Pre-Ascalon in the 1st game. 90% of the place is soloable

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Sweet_Treat_Weekend

30 bucks is a steal for all the games

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Nihilist, what's your nick? Is it Naropa Ikkyu?

--k o--

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:27 am

It's "Yoosa Dumaas".

Or alternatively, Sardis Varn.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:22 pm

"Yoosa Dumaas" does not exist. Added "Sardis Varn" to friends list and sent Guild invitation.

--kril out-- :mrgreen:

[FnG] ElPietro

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Hey, probably no time for this, but thought I might clear some space and reinstall.

Only problem so far is, I can only find the original cd and nightfall. Would factions be tied to my account? Or is it basically find all the disks and install or nothing, since at the time I don't think it was tied to steam at all?

I'll search around for factions some more, and I guess if I find it I'll debate on picking up eye of the north.

But what does all this honor stuff get you in the upcoming sequel?
I may not be the baddest dude, but the baddest dude calls me every morning to make sure we're still friends.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:39 pm

if you have em all linked into your account, all you need to do is download the installer and the rest should get installed automatically :)
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] ElPietro

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks Rampant, just saw all that and managed to even log into my master ncsoft account, so will try and dl now.

If i find I have enough time to play even irregularly, maybe i'll buy the last installment to tool around in. :)

I may not be the baddest dude, but the baddest dude calls me every morning to make sure we're still friends.

Return to “MMO Gaming”