Best way to unlock a bunch of stuff for GW2 for a newbie?

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Re: Best way to unlock a bunch of stuff for GW2 for a newbie

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:00 am

[FnG] ElPietro wrote:Quick question, are boss drop rates on hard mode a lot higher?
Well, the drops themselves are different — lockpicks, Elite tomes only drop in HM. And in HM there's an increased chance to get rare or uncommon drops, and certainly better drops and more gold.

But common drops, area-specific and monster-specific drops are supposed to be the same as in NM.
(This is why, if you just want to farm ectos, you might as well do it in normal mode.)

Since green weaps are monster-specific, I'd guess NM would be the way to go.

[FnG] ElPietro wrote:There is a scythe from a nightfall boss that is pefect for what I'm looking for
Which one? There may be an end-game weapon with the same stats that I can go get for you by running a final mission real quick — guaranteed the first try, without waiting for a drop.

[FnG] ElPietro wrote:So far, I haven't found it much more challenging on hard mode than regular. Maybe my hero builds are OP enough to get me through dunno..
If you're comfortable in HM, then stay in it as much as possible. Everything will go faster for you — gold, XP (+50%), better drops, access to more titles, sooner.
(However, remember that mixing up modes as you play through a campaign's missions may result in two incomplete title tracks when you're done. Oops.)

Btw, if you're collecting special armor for heroes to put them into HoM, then you need to focus on getting those heroes.
In EotN you want to try to do the quest Round One: Fight ASAP after Gunnar's Hold is on your map.
There are two optional heroes that are given as rewards for beating certain foes in that.
(Kahmu, a dervish, and Xandra a rit <— rits are way overpowered in both damage and healing)

Once you get Gadd's Encampment on your map, you can do Give Peace a Chance, which will unlock warrior Hayda.

You want necro Livia for your Sabway — she's mandatory, but is also at Gadd's Encampment in Finding the Bloodstone.

In Nightfall, when you have the option to unlock either Norgu (mes) or Goren (war), choose Norgu.
Not only is he funnier than Goren, but mesmers have had a lot of really nice buffs and help immensely.
(and you've already got tanks)

Oh crap! Forgot to mention, and should've mentioned much earlier — make sure you have a Hero's Handbook (one for normal and one for hard mode) in your bags as you do the EotN storyline quests/missions! As you complete primary quests, the book fills up and when done you can turn it in for beaucoup Asuran/Norn/Deldrimor/Vanguard 'reputation' points. This is important for being able to buy custom armor and consumables like perfect salvage kits, Grail of Might and Armor of Salvation.

Btw, they've also added books for tracking progress through all three campaigns. Grab these for a bonus/reward too,.

hth,
--kril out-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Yasmin
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Yasmin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:18 pm

If you want to buy a weapon for your Valor statue in the HoM what town should I go ?
and any idea on the prices ?

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 pm

[FnG] Yasmin wrote:If you want to buy a weapon for your Valor statue in the HoM what town should I go ?
and any idea on the prices ?
Destroyer weapons cost 250 Granite Slabs, 100 Iron Ingots, 10 Diamonds, 10 Onyx Gemstones, and 5K gold to craft.
See Balthar Coalforge in Slaver's Exile dungeon main area. (EotN)

Note: Diamonds are really expensive atm.

Tormented weapons are obtained from Deacon of Whispers in the Gate of Anguish in Nightfall, in exchange for an Armbrace of Truth.
(Armbrace = 15 of each of the four types of Anguish Gemstone) Lots of time in elite end-game Nightfall required.

Oppressor weapons are the easiest to get for yourself — upon completion of the War in Kryta quest lline, you trade in 10 Medals of Honor up the hill in the special new Lion's Arch Keep (explorable). (1 Medal of Honor is = 25 War Supplies, so just do the daily WiK bounties until you have a stack of 250 war supplies, which is pretty fast).

On the open market:
Oppressor's: 60–75K each
Destroyer: ~75K each
Tormented: 1 Armbrace = 22-23 ectos

hth,
--kril out-- :mrgreen:
Image Image

[FnG] Yasmin
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Yasmin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:41 pm

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:29 am

Finally got my hero group set up...were they trying to kill PUGs with heroes? I'd never get a pug as capable as the AI dudes. :D
Have you blamed Kril lately?

[FnG] ElPietro

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:06 pm

The scythe is from Asterius http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Asterius'_Scythe.

He's not far from the gate, but I was able to find something that had a zealous snathe, but just a fortitude wrap, as a reward for a book of secrets for completing the final nightfall mission. So I just killed Abaddon quickly and got that scythe, as my build is a bit heavy on energy. Only once has someone responded to my WTB request on a zealous snathe, and wanted 15k so meh.

There are two other end game scythes but both for EoTN.

I have a couple amulet of mists, but there aren't any scythes in cantha.

I have a hero and dungeon book in my inventory right now, I guess I can't do hardmode until I've completed the campaign in normal.

I just got to the town where I can get Livia, and have some gimmick ritualist secondary build saved for the norn fighting tournament.

Right now I don't really need any other heroes for Sabway, as I went back and got Raza and turned him into the third necro, but I'll get all the heros anyway. Got Norgu instead of Goren, although, I shoulda checked my quest log, coulda added goren after killing abaddon too..

Although, having a ritualist option would be good. Right now my caster dps is from Norgu (domination), Gwen (illusion), SS Necro, and I turned one of my monks into a smite monk that seems to enhance my dervish damage. I'd keep the SS necro as part of the 3 player sabway, but can probably swap the smite monk for a rit or ele or whatev, maybe a barrage ranger as I like to just run into multiple groups and AoE everything down lol.
I may not be the baddest dude, but the baddest dude calls me every morning to make sure we're still friends.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:11 pm

[FnG] ElPietro wrote:The scythe is from Asterius http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Asterius'_Scythe.
OK, I can get you a Droknar's Reaper today at lunch. Same stats and less butt-ugly than Asterius'.

Just have to run the final mission of EotN —only takes a few minutes.

There is also a Deldrimor Shear you can get, but it requires you to do Hell's Precipice to get the Talisman you need to exchange for it.
(as you know, that takes at least an hour and a half, so you'll have to do that one yourself if you prefer that skin.)

hth,
Image Image

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:23 pm

LOL! FAIL.

Learned something new today — you can't get more Keys/Amulets etc. when you re-do these end-game things. One per character. Dunno how I hadn't noticed that. Oops!

I blew through the last mission (Great Destroyer is mah b*tch) and was all clicking on the Dervish chest for your scythe and the game was like, "Umm, no." :laugh:

Anyhoo, I found someone had the Asterius' one for 4K on guru, so I bought that for ya instead.
(may take a day or two to get it, in-game)

So, you're covered, anyway, duh,
Image Image

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:30 am

Just hit 10 points...not a bad start I guess. :)
Have you blamed Kril lately?

[FnG] ElPietro

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:38 am

So yeah, I'm at the point where I need to do Thackray's scavenger hunt, only, the coders at Anet are turds.

The way they setup this "quest" seems rediculous. The only actual requirement that has no other options, are votive candles. You get them from a necromancer in pre-searing. The necro won't sell them unless you've spoken to Thackray.

Which means any non-tyrian character, has to somehow find a way to get to Sardelac Sanitarium from Lion's Arch...

Or they can ask in their guild forum like me! I have the honeycombs, if someone can grab the candles for me. I think you can hand in 18 or 24 max.

I may not be the baddest dude, but the baddest dude calls me every morning to make sure we're still friends.

[FnG] ElPietro

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Disregard..

I...

....ran...

..from lion's arch......

.........................to sardelac sanitarium....

:cry:

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:07 pm

@ El Pietro: Sorry about the long trek, but I was gonna say you will probably want to do that run anyway (LA —> Ascalon) for other things that come up.
(you can pay to have that run, btw, like the old Drok's run)

Bad News/Good News Dept.:
The good news is you can start War in Kryta if you've beaten either Prophecies or EotN.
The bad news is — if you haven't beaten EotN yet — then you must also have completed Zinn's Task.
(obtained from the Golem Manual you got recruting MOX)

The good news is Zinn's Task is less to do than the whole EotN mission sequence.
The bad news is Zinn's Task requires you to have Temple of the Ages and Ventari's Refuge (for The Falls) on your map in Tyria, and Honur Hill on your map in Elona.

I don't know where you are on the overall EotN chain, but it may be easier to finish that, rather than do Zinn's.
(Because the problem with War in Kryta for foreign-born toons is it takes place all over Tyria west of LA.
You'll need ToA, Divinity Coast, Beetletun, etc.)

OR, you could do Zinn's (and War in Kryta) on another toon, one that has beaten Proph and has Honur Hill in Vabbi.
That toon could then get your Oppressor Weaps for your HoM — would count the same, since HoM is account-based.

Heh ?

P.S. I have a couple cupcakes and hard apple cider, if you need.
Image Image

[FnG] ElPietro

Postby [FnG] ElPietro » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:33 pm

Thanks, I am in Lion's Arch keep now.

I had run to the shining blade camp from L.A. last night, god that sucked. Then today ran to sanitarium from L.A., god that sucked.

I completed EoTN already, so I just needed to witness Zinn's trial, and go back to shining blade from temple of ages to watch the dialogues from there.

All the festive items are in plenty of supply now. Not sure if you've been in an explorable area, but all the cider/cupcakes and even honeycombs are dropping very frequently.

I had junked 2 drake flesh when first starting GW again, not knowing they would be needed, after some fail farming Troogor was good enough to hand me a kabob, so I'm good to finish things up.

After this, I guess it's just a matter of mastering Glints for brotherhood cloth, and random other stuff and then maybe the missions for the other titles and I think I'll be close to 30 pts. I haven't registered much in the hall yet, but that's more laziness than anything else.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:56 pm

[FnG] ElPietro wrote:All the festive items are in plenty of supply now. Not sure if you've been in an explorable area, but all the cider/cupcakes and even honeycombs are dropping very frequently.
Oh yeah!

The Guild Wars Seventh Anniversary Celebration!
April 24–May 8

:partyhat: :partyhat: :partyhat: :partyhat: :partyhat: :partyhat: :partyhat:
Image Image

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Thu May 03, 2012 7:07 pm

@ Nihilist and @ El Pietro!

Troogo tells me via Facebox that he has valooble stuffs to give you for your HoM.

He says his schedule is only allowing him to log on late at night, and he often falls asleep staring at the log-on screen, being the old fart that he is.

He says to he will be on tonight late, 11 p.m.-ish, so hook up with him in the guild hall, or something.

That is all,
Image Image

Return to “MMO Gaming”