Guild Wars 2 — 1st Weekend Beta Event

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] Nihilist

Re: Guild Wars 2 — 1st Weekend Beta Event

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:46 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:One interesting/funny/annoying thing — as I've gotten better pieces of armor,
my toon's appearance is shambolic/horrible with all the ugly, mismatched pieces.
(going for the better stats, of course, but the resulting 'look' is beyond barf-inducing)

If it's just colours that are bothering you, you can dye the stuff from inside your H screen.

Can't help with the sprite appearance, though. :D
Have you blamed Kril lately?

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:47 pm

[FnG] Lazz wrote:How many people here have pre-purchased the game?
I think all of us.
(see the last pages of the Take my Money!! thread)

:waving: Nice to see you, Mr. Lazz!

--k o-- :dizzy:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:36 pm

[FnG] Da Kril wrote:
[FnG] Lazz wrote:How many people here have pre-purchased the game?
I think all of us.
(see the last pages of the Take my Money!! thread)

:waving: Nice to see you, Mr. Lazz!

--k o-- :dizzy:

Nice to see you too mate :)

Will hopefully be saying that a lot over the coming weeks/months.

What I am hearing now is that the codes (according to someone who says their local gamestop store manager said this) aren't being given out anymore as the servers have reached capacity and they'd rather have fewer people being able to play and test it out, than many people joining, overloading the servers and resulting in no one playing. Makes sense.

I didn't get the pre-purchase edition because £50 seemed like a lot of money. But then again, after thinking about it, GW 1 was a game I played for 1000+ hours and I commented many times on how much bang for your buck you get with these games. So I shall no doubt order it in the coming weeks.

My only worry about it is that since its a beta, I assume everything you achieve will get erased and you will start from scratch when the game is officially released.

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 pm

[FnG] Lazz wrote:only worry about it is that since its a beta, I assume everything you achieve will get erased and you will start from scratch when the game is officially released.
This is correct. All Beta Weekend Stuff will be completely wiped.

However, with a pre-purchase, you will get a three-day head start before the actual release, and that WILL stick.

--k o-- :mrgreen:

P.S. I'd be in-game now, but solid wall of 42s. No other errors, not a sniff of connecting. :(
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:30 pm

It's really tough for me to get in too.

PvP is AMAZING in this, btw. So much fun.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:55 pm

currently the flavor of the code is 48 :) it stayed up for most of the day though
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Whats everyone's first impressions? Ive heard mixed reactions (though mostly positive).

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:02 pm

i like it, it gets confusing sometimes but thats to be expected
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 pm

The game is pretty different to other MMOs (and it is a MMO this time, rather than a CORPG).

I think a lot of the negative feedback you're likely to hear will hinge around people who wanted something different. The game is simply very different to GW1. Is it going to be everyone's cup of tea? Definitely not. But thus far, it seems a polished, lovingly crafted game to me. You can tell the design team poured their heart and soul in to it.

The graphical style is beautiful and unique. It's cartooney, but in a mature way. I actually prefer this kind of style, purely because ultra-realistic graphics age very quickly. More stylized graphical presentation tends to last longer without looking like crap.

I found the responsiveness of the game to be crisp: push the button, ability goes off quick-sharp. That counts for a lot.

Some of the classes have a very unique feel to them, although I haven't really got very high with anything yet. The Mesmer in particular has a very different playstyle, something I haven't really seen in a MMO before (and I've played a fair few). Engineer is fun, but at low levels feels like a WoW hunter without a pet (I don't have any turrets on mine yet). Guardian seems very interesting indeed, although I didn't play with it enough yet to get a good feel for it.

The sound/music is excellent, although the in-game default settings aren't balanced very well. The spoken lines were often drowned out by soaring music in combat events, so I rectified that by simply turning the music slider down a good whack. I like to hear character speech over everything else that is going on, but YMMV.

The personal stories seem like an interesting addition. On the one hand, they're a lot more linear than those found in SWTOR; you can't choose dialogue options and the scene plays out without any input from you. On the other, they're a composite story made up from various choices made at the start of the game. Your character won't necessarily have the same personal story as another member of your class (unlike SWTOR, in which character shares the class story, just not their dialogue choices). I found the Charr backgrounds particularly interesting; my Charr Guardian story really does feel different to my human engineer. The backgrounds do a good job of capturing the feel and flavour of each race. Choosing things like patron deity or faction only serve to add flavour.

Some notable items are missing: no system to open a trade window with other players (ugh!), no ability to switch instances if you end up separated from a friend you want to play with (annoying, but can be worked around by logging out/in most of the time), and as near as I can tell, no ability to adjust mouse sensitivity. This isn't the finished product though, so perhaps they're just not in yet.

My wife is also playing, and this is the first MMO ever that she has jumped into and liked from the very start. She grew to like some others (e.g. WoW), but it took a while for her to get into them. GW2 is the first MMO I've known her to be excited to play prior to its release.

Just some early thoughts, YMMV. :)

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 pm

When the server is up it's very enjoyable I've enjoyed most of it so far although some of the in game events can get hectic with everyone rushing about.

It's nice to see some of the old in game names popping back up and some new things as well.

The latest beastie shown below grabbed my attention from miles away (and dropped some mid-level items)
Attachments
gw001.jpg

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Some notable items are missing: no system to open a trade window with other players (ugh!), no ability to switch instances if you end up separated from a friend you want to play with (annoying, but can be worked around by logging out/in most of the time), and as near as I can tell, no ability to adjust mouse sensitivity. This isn't the finished product though, so perhaps they're just not in yet.

A developer over at SA confirmed that the instance-switching thing separating you from your teammates will be fixed. They're messing with optimization of the load balancing during this beta, and that's a feature they're working on. No idea on the mouse sensitivity. Trading is on the way.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 pm

My thoughts from playing yesterday were as follows. Kril and I have had very different experiences with the event repeatability, so it may be either per-event, or perhaps per time period. I dunno.

The negatives:

Game is currently not optimized, of course. That's okay; it's a beta.
Game servers lagging out, kicking people out, etc. Beta again.
My largest issue - the overflow-instance-balancing thing that separates you from the rest of your party at random - is a beta feature that isn't going to stay.

PvE is fun, but very frame-rate dependent. I don't like how, under lagged conditions, you can click multiple times on an enemy to try to target it and it just will not target. Wasp Queen, I'm looking at you.

Monsters do not appear on the minimap. If you are swarmed in a chaotic fight, it can be pretty much impossible to pick the right target. Good luck targeting the healer when tab won't bring the right monster and you can't see the damned healer through the enormous crowd of Charr players running around it.

Gathering quests sucked back then, and they still suck now. They're not *as bad* as before, but they're still not great.

Story mode stuff is rather OP at times in the sense of what you're up against. If I go into a single-player story mode thing at level 7, I shouldn't be up against fifteen level 20 creatures, at least not without some sort of warning that my next story is out of my level range.

The crafting system is a grind and a half. Zero points from the Sundae judge for taking one of WoW's worst features and implementing it.

The game needs more notification messages when you perform actions. If you use a salvage kit, it should tell you what you salvaged from the item. You shouldn't have to go hunting through your inventory to maybe - just maybe - see the new item.

Beta issue I'm sure, but sending items via mail and the recipient never getting them, plus YOU never getting them back, sucks badly. Farewell, minipet.

This could very well be another beta thing for now, but the game needs more direction for the actual plot. As it stands, you wander for two hours doing whatever, then maybe see something unrelated that you join in on, but then it ends and you're back to wander mode until you come across something new to randomly do, and you'll do this until you finally figure out where your story-mode quests were trying to get you to go... and then the instance will crash and you'll lose two hours of leveling.

Slow down the damned spawns. Seriously. And stop letting entire groups respawn on top of you. A respawn should never appear within aggro range of a player unless there is literally no other valid spawn point in the region. In a skill-based game where two hits can kill you, spawning an enemy directly behind your character's camera is a terrible sin.

I generally like the event system, but I have one complaint with it. If you have already completed the event, you cannot get EXP, karma, etc again for it if you've already gotten a gold medal for that event. This reduces people's likelihood of helping you out, even if they're in the area. Why should I waste my time helping those guys over there fight the Wasp Queen or protect the ox from bandits if I'm not going to get any reward for it? I already gold-medaled the bandits, after all. That's a mistake in the system IMO (1/2 rewards maybe? Level-specific rewards?), but otherwise the event system is fantastic.

The good stuff:

Nice looking environments. The areas look amazing, and they are so well decorated. Stunning looking stuff!

As always, the music is superb.

The event system seems to be working well, though I wonder if they've majorly increased the frequency of event spawns for beta perhaps. It seems like a new event spawn occurs as soon as the old one ends, sometimes. I really like the event system, though I'm not a big fan of the heart-quests, probably because they all feel grindy to me.

Experience for exploration? Thanks! Also, many thanks for the world map that lifts the fog as you explore. I liked that back in GW1, and I like it here.

Ten points from Sundae for an amazing PvP system. I've been looking at the WvWvW and I'm really, really impressed. It is really awesome.

The biggest problem:

This may seem petty, but it's an enormous design issue:
"Stop letting entire groups respawn on top of you. A respawn should never appear within aggro range of a player unless there is literally no other valid spawn point in the region. In a skill-based game where two hits can kill you, spawning an enemy directly behind your character's camera is a terrible sin."

That, above all else, makes me furious. This is a twitch game by MMO standards. You absolutely CANNOT DO THAT. You cannot let a monster spawn in a way that it is invisible to a player until it has one-shot the poor sap. I would rather you not spawn the monster at all than have it spawn in aggro but behind the players' cameras. Remember - they're not on the minimap! Think about the random wraith spawns in the Rotwing battle of GW1. How would you like to do that and have them randomly chain-lightning you without you even realizing they had spawned? Now do that with endlessly respawning monsters. That will be an amazingly big problem at higher levels.

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:15 pm

[FDG]Sundae wrote:
A developer over at SA confirmed that the instance-switching thing separating you from your teammates will be fixed. They're messing with optimization of the load balancing during this beta, and that's a feature they're working on. No idea on the mouse sensitivity. Trading is on the way.

Good deal, thanks for the info.

[FnG] Yasmin
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Yasmin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:09 pm

I expected it to look alot like original GW so that was a bit stange at the begining ,
bit chaotic at events/quests you do and get crowded :stars:
Today I looked at the different arts you can choose, I think thats a great addition to the game :thumbup:

The teaming up for storyline missions is not so easy and I hope they fix that for when the game is released,
esp. in the evenings it takes alot porting or login in/out to find eachother

Having ALOT of fun when I can get online, better during daytime here then evening :jester:

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:28 pm

I spent yesterday doing the different PvP events.

WvWvW is amazing fun, but it suffers from two potential issues: Population and "who got there first" syndrome.

You play against two different shards on a giant map. In our case, it's Moladune (us) versus Crystal Desert versus Deldrimor. You try to control various defenses, build up walls, conquer other territories, etc, until you eventually take everything.

Catch #1: Population -- It takes a LOT of people to take down a gate. It takes a LOT of supplies to build up walls, etc. Meanwhile, other people are attacking you. You can't do it with five people. It's hard enough to do with twenty-five people. Now, what happens when you put two-hundred blue on a team versus fifty red and about eight green? You end up with exactly what happened yesterday; a horrific bloodbath. :lol:

They need to make sure they keep good rewards aligned with this, make sure they keep people with a reason to play it, because otherwise it turns into a lopsided match really quickly. There are advantages given for playing while you are outnumbered (greater magic-find percentages, boost to player damage, etc), but it really doesn't counter the player imbalance.

Catch #2: Who got there first -- Moladune had connection issues early in the weekend, and on top of that the majority of Moladune tried out PvE first before PvP. Crystal Desert has a higher population, didn't have problems early, and went straight to PvP. The map was almost entirely blue by the time any of us even got there. We've been fighting from a losing position the entire weekend now, and while we've recovered some ground, the main castle (2000 supplies, versus 100 at most places) remains solidly blue and has been completely reinforced with extra NPCs, cannons, mortars, boiling oil, etc etc. That happened before any of us ever even saw the arena. :lol: Combine that on top of the population imbalances, and there is no way that blue doesn't win. There just aren't enough greens and reds to match up.

Those are the two major problems I see in WvWvW so far. If they can find a way to keep the imbalances "balanced" somehow, it will be the single best feature in GW2 to date. WvWvW is absolutely amazing.

Return to “MMO Gaming”