2nd Beta Weekend Event

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] General Lee

2nd Beta Weekend Event

Postby [FnG] General Lee » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:42 pm

Anet has set their eye on the 2nd beta (Beta Weekend Event 2 will begin on Friday, June 8th, at noon PDT (GMT-7) and will run until Sunday, June 10th, at 11:59 p.m. PDT (GMT-7).

was think ( yes i no painful for me) perhaps we could all get on that weekend and have a remembrance [FnG] weekend as solo test is orsome none the less but ya just can,t beat watch me run in to a lot of dots saying i can do it :panic: :pancake: or so would be good to have alot of lolz and rofl
looking forwards to hering from you
i,ll be on most of theat weekend
will post char names depending on posts

thx Da General Lee
Success is going from failure to failure without lack of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

[FnG] Da Kril
Site Admin

Re: Guild Wars 2 2nd beta

Postby [FnG] Da Kril » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:53 pm

It's today! The 2nd Beta Weekend Event.

Woah, we get to keep our toons (again)! :shock:
There's level 35+ content opened up (Catacombs) and level 25 Gendarran fields will be open outside Lion's Arch.

Lots of good-sounding changes to the UI, overflow servers and such.
See here for a quick list of new/changed stuff

Dunno if I can get on today, but I will be on tomorrow for sure.

:happydance: :panic: :happydance:
Image Image
Soon ALL movies will just be Liam Neeson yelling into a phone.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Re: 2nd Beta Weekend Event

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:08 pm

hmm it wants me to download the whole client again...it's gonna be a while :)
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] General Lee

Postby [FnG] General Lee » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm

i,m on gw2 atm probly be tinkering around most of the day will park my behind on ts so if ya fancy a bit of banter or a messing around join me in the hunt for red DOTS

Success is going from failure to failure without lack of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:36 am

Fantastic improvement over beta one. That went GREAT. They made some amazing engine improvements from beta one.

Also - they've confirmed that there will be more graphics options at the end, along with DirectX 10. They've got it in there, just currently deactivated for... whatever their reason is.

Fudge's recruitment is in full swing right now; we've got 35-40 people across the various peeps we've picked up. Some will stay, some will go, a few will get kicked out. About what you'd expect. We've gotten some real winners out of it too, and I don't mean that sarcastically either. :) We had people for PvE, WvW, joking around, etc, and we're just getting started. :D

[FnG] General Lee

Postby [FnG] General Lee » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:39 am

have to agree with ya there sun it was a hell of a good beta hope ya see ya in the next beta

any of your guy checked of the wvw lvl or try it in general if so hows it work or gonig not suck a big pvp fan but must admit it is luring me there slowly

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:15 am

Indeed the game was a hell of a lot more stable this time around but only managed to get about 3-4 hours of game time. Bringing the "U map" back was a good improvement but still does not show the "red dots" on it (yet?) but does show silly things like your own mini pets (bought a pack of 3 for fun) also bought some mystic keys and chests, managed to buy 3 more chests as the first few gave me a random +50% boost to "x" some tonics and another key.

Since we've got the same characters we used for the last beta there wasn't much traffic in the starting areas so it was a much better experience, there was a fair bit of 1st time loading lag for the main cities.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:26 pm

[FnG] General Lee wrote:have to agree with ya there sun it was a hell of a good beta hope ya see ya in the next beta

any of your guy checked of the wvw lvl or try it in general if so hows it work or gonig not suck a big pvp fan but must admit it is luring me there slowly

We spend a lot of time in WvW. It is fantastic specifically because it *doesn't* turn into an organized dramafest like regular PvP does. :) It is my favorite part of the game so far.

Eve:

The problem with the red dots, as I understand it, is that even single-zone map areas are actually split across servers. This is why, for example, you can be in Divinity's reach and not see local chat from people on the other side of the city even though you can walk there entirely uninterrupted by loading portals. It is using seamless server bounds in that regard. The red dots actually are not a minor thing to fix, because in order to know where monsters are across a server line, you need to be streaming that data ahead of time. The end result -without extensive netcoding - is either sudden appearances of tons of red dots as you cross the line - potentially resulting in terrible, terrible danger - or planning the levels so that there are never any spawns near boundary edges, which is easily abused / griefed.

Hopefully they bring them back eventually, but I've seen several MMOs try and fail miserably at getting enemy markers / player markers working across server lines. It's not an easy task.

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:22 am

Apparently the current client is CPU-locked, and doesn't put much (if anything) on the video card.

The game already looks beautiful, so I can't wait to see what it is like in DX10/11 with all the bells and whistles!
Have you blamed Kril lately?

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:04 am

I wouldn't go quite that far. It is only CPU-locked if you have your settings on low. There is no CPU on the market that can handle the high-setting shaders / sheer amount of textures involved in that game at 60-80fps, which is what you get if you wander in an area without huge swarms of people.

That being said, they DEFINITELY have a lot of features on the CPU that will not be in the end, and they've deactivated a ton of graphic settings / DX10 that will be coming back too.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:15 am

Stupid question , I know what PvP is :-) but what is WvW and how does it work?
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] General Lee

Postby [FnG] General Lee » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:40 am

@hanno if i,m right and plz corected me if i,m wrong i think that world v world we each world is pitted again,st each other not just pvp ether it about geting resorces or if ya not that good in pvp (like me) there evan a pve quest line you can follow is ya pvp skill are lacknig aand from the web site they say you can lvl just buy pvp

but saying this this is just what i,ve herd and read no had the bottle to go in on a pvp match as yet hope next beta i,ll have a friend online at some point to go in to one

hope that help hanno
feal friend to corect me though these thing i,ve not done my slef so it just things i,ve read

p.s on anought note has fng got a guild up on gw2 yet as friend list is emty :bigcry:
thx Da General

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 pm

I've only played it on sunday afternoon but it was indeed much better not a single disconnect and the confusing mahem was also certainly a lot less (did anyone spot the hint box thats now up and running ;) ) Cant wait to see the full gfx but the devs have already stated that they are keeping quite a lot hidden till release..which i can understand :)

Having the "u" map back was great, and hopefully our reddots will be back soon to :D. I've tinkered a lil bit with crafting armor and like the way you discover recipies by placing materials in the boxes, at least you know you are onto something when it say that this material has 12 possible combinations ;) and in the end I discovered some low end gloves/chest/pants..which all looked the same like I already had :crazy:

PS: where is the bank..i'm having inventory stress!! (and yes i created all the storage boxes i could already)?
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:29 am

Stupid question , I know what PvP is :-) but what is WvW and how does it work?

WvW = "World Versus World"

It is an absolutely enormous, four-section map with three teams playing on it. Three teams each control (at the start) one homeland map, and in the middle is the Eternal Battlegrounds. The more of the map you control for your world, the more PvE bonuses everyone else gets "back home." You conquer castles, depots, guard dolyak caravans, bombard walls, rebuild boiling oil pots above your gates, etc etc, making your way across the map in a vaguely Onslaught-like gametype.

If you win the map (takes a long time), your world's PvP rating goes up and you find yourself against other, higher-rated worlds next time.

Who is on your team? EVERYONE. Anyone from your shard (Moledune, Sands of Kryta, Sea of Sorrows, etc) who wants to can join in. You can literally have 200v200 battles, theoretically 500v500, etc. I've seen groups of 50+ attacking the gates of a castle while defenders try to fend us off from the battlements. It is hectic, chaotic, free-flowing, and downright awesome. In practicality - at least in the beta - I've never seen more than maybe 150 people in the same battle. That's still absolutely insane and will lag your computer into the ground, but my goodness is AoE fun in a group that size. The only thing more fun than attacking a castle with a group that large is being the guy on the battlements with the CANNON. :D

Your "level" remains what it is, in terms of skills, weapons, armor, etc, but you are equalized to level 80 for level and HP purposes. The tradeoff for this is that you still get drops and experience for playing, and a darned lot of it at that. It is a very legitimate way of leveling up your character.

True story: I got an entire group on Moledune to attack an outpost while screaming "FOR WAFFLES!" as their battle-cry. My life is now complete.

My opinion is that WvW was an amazing, wonderfully refreshing style of PvP that has been long missing in MMOs. It is not without its problems - particularly timezone issues affect the start of the game right now - but it is a BEAUTIFUL thing when it gets rolling. I like it better than anything else in GW2 so far.

[FnG] Torgo 3000
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Torgo 3000 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 am

[FDG]Sundae wrote:My opinion is that WvW was an amazing, wonderfully refreshing style of PvP that has been long missing in MMOs. ... but it is a BEAUTIFUL thing when it gets rolling. I like it better than anything else in GW2 so far.

When Sundae says something like this, I want to keep living.

Return to “MMO Gaming”