So what do you all think to GW 2?

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] Lazz

So what do you all think to GW 2?

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi all

So its been out for a few weeks now. What you all think to it?

Im dissapointed. It kills me to say it, especially after waiting years and telling every gamer I know that they should buy it because........well theres the thing. Its hard to put my finger on exactly why this game isnt as good as GW 1. But in GW 1, I played it for well over 1000 hours. I will be surprised if I play GW for a quarter of that time.

Dont get me wrong, the graphics are good and the world looks great, but its missing that special something or somethings that made GW 1 what it is.

Someone over at the GW Guru forums made a good point. He said that in GW 1, there were memorable characters. Mhenlo, Togo, Kormir, Koss, Abaddon, Shiro and of course how could we foget (for all the wrong reasons), Prince Rurik. Please tell me, to all those who have played this game past level 20, how many NPC character names can you remember? My character is level 21 and I cant remember any names.

I dont like how GW 2 uses GW 1 music. Granted there is some new music there which is good but seriously, Anet took years to make this game and they are still using GW 1 music?

Quoting someone from GW Guru forums

'The main difference I feel is that GW2 feels dull and pointless, I don't feel like a hero at all. Mainly because many of the events are ridiculous chores from picking apples off trees to digging up worms. In GW1 they put you right into the drama of the plotline, the Searing, the war of the White Mantle, the invasion of Kourna, the infection of the plague, the rise of Shiro.

In GW2........ it's just ridiculousness everywhere...Where is the drama of the plot? What is the danger? What is my motive as a "hero?" Why am I killing Skirtt over and over again? ...Why am I picking up apples to help bake apple pies... Not impressed at all, comparing the quality of both games
.'

I think that quote sums it up perfectly, there is no incentive, no real sense of danger. It kinda almost feels like a large pre-searing map (GW 1 players will get the reference). Underwater combat is a bit crap as well.

Also the level gap between storyline missions doesnt help. One mission might say "recommended level 18" and my character is level 17 or 18. I complete the mission and the next storyline mission is "recommended level 22", meaning to avoid getting killed a lot I need to go out and do random things or kill lots of monsters to be able to do the mission.

There's also (yes, my rant continues) the races issue. When I first found out about there being different races, everything seemed cool. But the problem is, everyone starts off in a different part of the world. Sure, that is whats gonna happen with different races but in GW 1, everyone was 'in the same boat'. With everyone (different races) starting at different places in the world in GW 2, everything feels fragmented.

Perhaps its because I am only level 21 and I have yet to find my way.

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Re: So what do you all think to GW 2?

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:11 pm

I have struggled to become lvl 33 now, and forcing my self to continue to get to the 'real' story line (if it ever is going to happen)
The cooperation of players, the pure team work (gathering as many red dots possible bring them to the team players to have fun with), it's simply not there.
For some 'quests' you need any other player as long as he/she fights, no tactics involved, no thinking about skill combinations/interrupting , just hit with everything you've got. Every area is plain, dull, boring.

Call it coincidence or not, but I just finished a list of pros and cons of GW2, and it's still very hard to sum up the pros :(

Cons:
- Bad graphics { sorry to say, colors are nice, but the graphics are not up to the standard of the games today }
- Thin story line. { like Lazz metioned, why are we killing, what is actually happening, why do I have to become a hero ? }
- Terrible movement of the character {movement is slow, you can still not climb, dodge yes, but no running ? }
- Terrain accessebility is rotten. {character is not able to walk everywhere, that is annoying) same as in old GW}
- Targetting system is a pain {specially in crowded fights, one can not target/aim at a foe}
- GW1 has third AND first person view, GW2 has only third person, a step backwards
- Huge difference in a few levels of difference { when lvl 20 yourself, try fight a lvl 22 foe, you die rapidly, while reverse it's not the same }
- Quests in area are boring, not fun to do, most have the same plot/idea.
- The 'view' movies of the area are pointless, they should have made secret spot in the area, which will be revealed by the movies
- Skill combo's are happening accidently, very hard to plan if you don't know who you're along fighting with.
- Skill matching with 'party/fellow' fighters can not be done, a huge step backwards compared to GW1.
- Routes in cities seem flexible but are not, you have to follow their plotted routes.very annoying.
- NPC's should be able to resurrect players if the fight is over.
- Skill animation is way to much in large groups(crowded fights)
- Forming a party on busy servers is hard.
- Although many many years laters, but the evolution of weapons/skills are not evolved, lack of fantasy imo.
- Skills are still basicaly the same as in GW1, this is disappointing
- Regardless of the type of foe, the fight is always the same. In GW1 with some foes you had to use other skill combinations(against poisons, blindness,cripple)
- I still am missing the red dots on the map ;)
- Choice of weapons with the profession (an Axe and Knife with the Necro :S , and of course the staff, which is more Necro style)
- Not able to trade with other players in person
- Who are to good guys and who are the bad, in towns the same foe is green, and in combat they are red. How? What ? When ? Did I miss some memo ?
- When picking up pressies, when it's not your professions type of weapon, armor, anything, then you can't tell which profession it belongs to, should I keep it for my other character ?
- five types of crafting kits, it that really handy ?
- no guildhal (yet, not sure if it is possible at all)
- I miss the 'port back to last location' (that was in GW1 from GuildHall, now in GW2 you have to port to a bank to store/retrieve items)
- the character voices are without color/emotion, not sure how to address this one, it's just off. Maybe stereo typically. GW1 was better imo.

pro:
- different skill set when switching weapons
- armor dye is on any armor
- armor damage + repair instead of penalty
- being able to dodge attacks
- Able to mail items to other players
- able to trade items on the 'market' while in combat zone
- able to 'bank' items while in combat zone (but not armor / weapons )
- every armor / weapon can be upgraded (like GW1 inscriptions)
- in combat area you can change skills, as long as you're not in a fight.

:chin:

:bedrime:

ImageImage

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:36 am

One of your pros is incorrect:

You get a death penalty also. Check on the opposite side of your life bar for the tiny down arrow. Every time you get downed or defeated, you come back with a timed amount of death penalty. I think it's 10 minutes per pip? Not sure on that part.

I agree with a decent number of your complaints, though I do want to address a few of them.

- GW1 has third AND first person view, GW2 has only third person, a step backward

Spin your mouse-wheel. All the way in, it goes to first-person mode. I use that all the time for jump-quest stuff.

- Huge difference in a few levels of difference { when lvl 20 yourself, try fight a lvl 22 foe, you die rapidly, while reverse it's not the same }

This I also hugely, hugely disagree with. At least as an Engineer, 5-7 level gap is nothing. Honestly, I would argue that monsters are too easy in this game. As long as it's not a sharpshooter or other hit-scan based enemy, you can do probably a 10 level gap before your damage output is too low to manage. I would also say that the reverse is true. Low-level creeps go down stupidly fast. Are you a warrior? I can see that being a class badly affected by the high-level issue, since you can't really "dodge" things.

- Skill matching with 'party/fellow' fighters can not be done, a huge step backwards compared to GW1.

Wait... why is this a problem when you just pointed out, in a different con, that you didn't need to do this? The entire point is so that you don't need to be piecing together perfect builds to play certain areas. Do you really want to go back to The Foundry of Failed Creations again?

...They can. And do. :chin:

- the character voices are without color/emotion, not sure how to address this one, it's just off. Maybe stereo typically. GW1 was better imo.

Good God I disagree here. They're still bad (but what MMO has good voice actors?), but they're many orders of magnitude better than the crap that GW1 gave us.

The ones I agree with would be as follows:

Cons:
- Thin story line. { like Lazz metioned, why are we killing, what is actually happening, why do I have to become a hero ? } (Though in fairness, there is no MMO on earth with a good story line. Zero.)
- Terrain accessebility is rotten. {character is not able to walk everywhere, that is annoying) same as in old GW}
- Targetting system is a pain {specially in crowded fights, one can not target/aim at a foe} (Absolutely agree.)
- Quests in area are boring, not fun to do, most have the same plot/idea.
- Skill combo's are happening accidently, very hard to plan if you don't know who you're along fighting with. (So play with a guild?)
- Routes in cities seem flexible but are not, you have to follow their plotted routes.very annoying. (Doesn't bother me, but I can absolutely see your point.)
- Skill animation is way to much in large groups(crowded fights)
- Forming a party on busy servers is hard. (THIS. OH GOD THIS. Big problem.)
- I still am missing the red dots on the map ;) (Yep.)
- When picking up pressies, when it's not your professions type of weapon, armor, anything, then you can't tell which profession it belongs to, should I keep it for my other character ? This is a problem for weapons and off-hands only. There are only three types of armor, and if you have the other character type, you know exactly what armor they use.
- five types of crafting kits, it that really handy ? Aren't there six? ;) Agreed on overkill.
- no guildhal (yet, not sure if it is possible at all) Agreed, but did you ever actually use it for anything? Fudge basically used it for building up Drunkard Title points.

I'd also add one of my own:
-Only five to a party. During prime playtime, there are about 50 Fudgies on right now. I'd love to be able to go do a 20-30 person group in a dungeon with them, instead of being capped at five people.

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:24 am

Starting from a point where I never liked GW1 , and found it limited compared to all the other MMO's out there (and Ive played at least 20 different ones) I find GW2 a pleasant change.

No long list of quests to keep track of, just one quest per area, with extra events is very nice. That events affect travel and
some plot to each area also makes it a little more interesting. The quests always have several different solutions,
and even if they are daft — and that Jotun trade one is highly annoying — none of them take long and then you can carry on.

I like that skills are linked to weapons, so you have a wide choice to pick from, and then utility skills on top.

Graphics are fine, if anything too many effects when lots of peeps in battles causes white out.

I've not had any problems with mobs up to a few levels ahead, and not had problems with gaps.
But then I'm not story focused, I really only do the stories for the loot.

I would prefer slightly better access to mountains and climbing etc, but then to keep each area bordered is important for loading.
Most classes have some sort of speed buff so running isn't that vital, and the waypoints are pretty good.

I really like exploring the caves, and doing the jump puzzles as a change from killing. Apart from the one last night when my vertigo almost made me keel over doing it.

Different races , different start areas is variety and its good.

and I really like the scalling down so you can go back do the lower levels with different people etc.

The bad bits:
I agree that the underwater combat sucks badly, and is pretty pointless.
Also the partying up part is difficult because of overflow servers etc. But this might get better when people 'spread out more'
WvWvW has also been a let down as the queues are silly.
The repeated foes - damn I hate dredge.

Overall I'm enjoying the game, yes I might get bored after a few weeks, I doubt it's going to keep me entertained as long as UT2004 or even COD4 did but it's been a pretty smooth release with lots of decent features and definitely playable.

Now I come to the WORSE thing about this game, and I really hate to say it as I've been an active member of FnG for years.
>>>>>>>>>>> My guild sucks <<<<<<<<<<<
I get absolutely no feeling of guild in the game. People don't chat much on the guild channel.
Nobody seems that interested in partying up, or doing a dungeon.
Sundae says it's a shame you can't have more in a party — we can't seem to get more than 3 FnG'ers in a party at one time.

From what I'm seeing people in the guild are playing this in pairs which is fine, but if you want the group spirit etc
you need more people. PEOPLE - ARSING ABOUT - HAVING FUN -JOKING ABOUT is what has made every guild game successful.
I can see no point in playing this as a solo game, as really it would be boring as hell.

Of course maybe the FnG'er are having more fun after i've logged off for the evening and nobody is telling me....
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Well, I am also very disappointed, agree with both Lazz and Lambik, so I am not going to make a long post on what I don't like.

I had several thousand hours on GW 1 - love the game. GW2 I played the first beta for about 30 mins, and have played for about 15 mins since it has gone live.

There is no direction, no story and no reason for any of it. Please excuse my Asterix and Obelix swearing but taking water to *!%$!*?$!! cows or prodding the suspicious bush, this is hello Kitty for 2 year olds, 'cos lets face it 4 year olds would want more :P

Some of us have had discussions on Teamspeak about it, and Yasmin said she couldn't believe this was 5 years work, more like they got part way down the road building GW 2, then scrapped it and started again.

I have my own analogy, authors only get to right one Harry Potter. What I mean is that it is rare that 1 person/company manages to write/make more than 1 truly brilliant book/game.

GW 1 was brilliant, GW 2 is not, sorry. I have held back from posting what I think about GW 2 as I have not wanted to put a dampener on others enjoyment.
You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:11 pm

I have to correct something I said earlier in my reply to Lambik:

The zoom-in to first person view only works in Free Look camera mode, apparently. I went and screwed around with it some more, and Lambik's first complaint is correct. If you aren't doing strange things with your camera already, you can't go to first-person view. I stand corrected, and he is right that there is no first-person view for most circumstances.

There is no direction, no story and no reason for any of it.

Are you guys all ignoring the personal story or something? You know, the one that directs the (admittedly MMO-lame) plot, sends you all around the world, puts you defending the queen against armies of the undead, and eventually sends you after a giant feck-all dragon as the climax of the plot? You know, the one with arrows on the map and big blinky green stars that tells you where to go, what to do, and why you're doing things?

The cows aren't the plot. The cows were never the plot. Nor are the suspicious bushes. Those are literally filler content for people who feel like getting EXP in ways other than story-line and for completionists who want 100% mapping stuff. If you're running from cow to cow throughout the map and don't actively want to run from cow to cow, you're doing it wrong.

GW2 isn't a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, don't get me wrong, but a ton of these complaints are like whining about how bad a book is when all you do is keep reading the dust-flap over and over. It just means you're doing it wrong.

Guild halls removed

To follow up on this: I asked Fudgies about that part since they'd been following it better. Guild Halls are planned as a future content release, as is (in some form?) player housing. Details are unclear as to how / when / what form those will take.

Edit: Wait a minute...

GW2 I played the first beta for about 30 mins, and have played for about 15 mins since it has gone live.

Was the personal story even ACTIVE in the first beta? Are you seriously judging one game based on several thousand hours of play, and another based on... fifteen minutes? :lmao:

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:23 pm

[FDG]Sundae wrote:One of your pros is incorrect:

You get a death penalty also. Check on the opposite side of your life bar for the tiny down arrow. Every time you get downed or defeated, you come back with a timed amount of death penalty. I think it's 10 minutes per pip? Not sure on that part.

Did not notice that, I only noticed I died a lot quicker after being killed ones(or twice) :-P
[FDG]Sundae wrote:
- GW1 has third AND first person view, GW2 has only third person, a step backward

Spin your mouse-wheel. All the way in, it goes to first-person mode. I use that all the time for jump-quest stuff.

I did do that all the time in GW1, but it fails on me on GW2, not sure how you manage to do that, but now I know there is a way, I will look for it in the settings. Thnx for the info :-)

[FDG]Sundae wrote:

This I also hugely, hugely disagree with. At least as an Engineer, 5-7 level gap is nothing. Honestly, I would argue that monsters are too easy in this game. As long as it's not a sharpshooter or other hit-scan based enemy, you can do probably a 10 level gap before your damage output is too low to manage. I would also say that the reverse is true. Low-level creeps go down stupidly fast. Are you a warrior? I can see that being a class badly affected by the high-level issue, since you can't really "dodge" things.

Yes, indeed the Engineer is more powerful then the Necro I have. In beta the Engineer I had could easier fight higher level then my Necro now can.

[FDG]Sundae wrote:

Wait... why is this a problem when you just pointed out, in a different con, that you didn't need to do this? The entire point is so that you don't need to be piecing together perfect builds to play certain areas. Do you really want to go back to The Foundry of Failed Creations again?

I noticed the opponents have the old-school setup, of healer, ele, mesmer, warrior, ranger, etc. which give them the advantage of working together, while 'we' are having to bring damage skills, (self)healing-skills as you don't have a dedicated healer, protector. Now it's only the amount of players that makes a difference in the battl, as a big spamfest.(imo)
[FDG]Sundae wrote:

...They can. And do. :chin:

:-( not on my watch, I did have many times the situation where I nearly killed the foes, and the NPC won the battle and left me there to rot. Is there something you have to activate before entering an area ?
[FDG]Sundae wrote:

Good God I disagree here. They're still bad (but what MMO has good voice actors?), but they're many orders of magnitude better than the crap that GW1 gave us.

That would be a matter of taste I guess :D
[FDG]Sundae wrote:- Skill combo's are happening accidently, very hard to plan if you don't know who you're along fighting with. (So play with a guild?)

The skill combo's here are the ones of combining diferent professions skills, like ele with firestorm and rangers with barage, the arrows do extra fire damage, as been advertise with all the promotional material.
[FDG]Sundae wrote:- Routes in cities seem flexible but are not, you have to follow their plotted routes.very annoying. (Doesn't bother me, but I can absolutely see your point.)

It did bother me when I was dicovering the POI's & Vista's in the city, then it became annoyingly clear

[FDG]Sundae wrote:- no guildhal (yet, not sure if it is possible at all) Agreed, but did you ever actually use it for anything? Fudge basically used it for building up Drunkard Title points.

As cities are time consuming in walking to every merchant, chest, trader, skill-dude, etc, some are very far apart, I used the guildhall very often (every time), and used the 'back' option to return where you had left off.

[FDG]Sundae wrote:I'd also add one of my own:
-Only five to a party. During prime playtime, there are about 50 Fudgies on right now. I'd love to be able to go do a 20-30 person group in a dungeon with them, instead of being capped at five people.

Haven't yet come to that point, only played 'starters' area 15-25(/25-35), where you are mostly on your own :stars:

I haven't given up on GW2 yet, but it has been a disappointing experience from what I was expecting, from all the promotional stories.
Leveling up an other character is not something I look forward to, although I never did that either in GW1 ;-)

ImageImage

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Just a quick heads-up: I was wrong about the first-person thing, Lambik. I had made some modifications to my camera for jump quests using the free-roam camera mode, and that behaves differently. You're right about that 1st-person issue.

:-( not on my watch, I did have many times the situation where I nearly killed the foes, and the NPC won the battle and left me there to rot. Is there something you have to activate before entering an area ?

Nope. That's what's so confusing to me about the complaint, because just last night in a dungeon, one even came up and rezzed me mid-combat!

The skill combo's here are the ones of combining diferent professions skills, like ele with firestorm and rangers with barage, the arrows do extra fire damage, as been advertise with all the promotional material.

No no, I understood you. What I mean is, of course they're random when you play with random people who don't know you and aren't really sure what they're doing. I was saying "play with FnGers who know how to do that" rather than relying on low-level pubbers. Like you said, you've only been playing in the starting areas so far; a lot of the people around you don't know how the system works yet, and if they bought GW2 on a whim and didn't follow the 5 years of hype, they might not even know the system exists.

Yes, indeed the Engineer is more powerful then the Necro I have. In beta the Engineer I had could easier fight higher level then my Necro now can.

Hmm... I don't play necro so I can't comment there. Dredd rips people a new one with his necro, but I've really only seen it in WvW. I haven't paid much attention to his PvE stuff since, as you rightly said, anything can be beaten by spam right now. They do make the bosses get a bit niftier and more "action game" like as the plot advances, and one of the dungeons has a boss pair of "lovers" where you have to kill them while keeping them separate, or they boost each other in power and heal each other as well. I'm only just now starting to see some of those kinds of bosses, though; most of them were pretty easy and spammable before that.

The rest of my responses to your quotes can basically be summed up as "Fair enough. :) Tastes are tastes! :D"

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:39 pm

GW2 isn't a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, don't get me wrong, but a ton of these complaints are like whining about how bad a book is when all you do is keep reading the dust-flap over and over. It just means you're doing it wrong.

Not entirely true if you ask my experience, when i only followed the story line, I ended up in fighting as a lvl8 Necro against a lvl 15 enemy, on my own, as this was a personal quest. So I had to feed the cows, do the bush-thingy, in order to level up before I could continue the storyline.

The personal story line does add it's own deviation of the story, but it also forces to play the game more solo, then as a team. I just noticed everyone is in the game, on teamspeak, but doing their own business. I could easily play minecraft while others are play UT, and some play GW, that would be the same thing.
It's true you had the same thing with GW1 too, the some had to redo a mission because someone didn't have it yet, but somehow it did attracked more to teamplay then it does now. Maybe the WvW adds the teamplay factor more.

I think we're trying to play the new game in the old way, and that's not working :Beye:
Still anxious to find a way to get the better game experience with GW2, this afternoon we teamed up, and Hanno sacrificed his time :-P

ImageImage

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:49 pm

[FnG] Lambik wrote:

Not entirely true if you ask my experience, when i only followed the story line, I ended up in fighting as a lvl8 Necro against a lvl 15 enemy, on my own, as this was a personal quest. So I had to feed the cows, do the bush-thingy, in order to level up before I could continue the storyline.

Ooh, very valid point! I forgot about that level gap in the middle of the early story-line. There is a huge jump there, where they do force you to do that. Bad move on Anet's part, and I agree with you there. When I wrote the previous comment, I was thinking of the stuff I'd been doing recently where the plot line went Lvl 25, 27, 30, 30, 31, 33... and combine that with the Engineer being able to handle higher-level enemies, it never mattered. Now that you mention it, I *did* have trouble with it going "5...6...8... 15..." at that one spot in the plot.

The personal story line does add it's own deviation of the story, but it also forces to play the game more solo, then as a team. I just noticed everyone is in the game, on teamspeak, but doing their own business. I could easily play minecraft while others are play UT, and some play GW, that would be the same thing.

What we've been doing at Fudge is taking parties into our personal quests with us. :) You can bring a party of 5, and since it levels everyone down appropriately, you can pretty much play anywhere. Of course, if someone has played through the plot 18 times helping lower-leveled people catch up, they probably are sick and tired of it. (Chokky did Thunderhead Keep how many times in GW1? :lmao: )

There are definitely some huge things that are wrong with the game, and I do hope they fix them as they move on. I am very pleased with the game right now, but I may also play it very differently from you. (Not saying good or bad to that, to be clear; just different.) I log on for about 30-45 minutes most days, do some dailies, explore a new area, kill a few moas, and advance one step in the plot and gain one level. Or, if I have more time, I join in on the chaos of WvW for an hour or so. Last night's 1.5 hours for dungeon running was a bit of an exception.

I like that the game permits this. I like that difficulty scales in events so that, even if I'm not with other players because I'm playing at a weird time, I can still complete the event. Maybe it's a bit too easy sometimes, but better that than impossible. (For comparison's sake, I waited two years to get a group of Fudgies willing to clear The Domain of Anguish with me in GW1. That's the opposite problem that bugged me when you were talking about not needing specific group builds; I remember when you literally could NOT beat certain areas without special builds.)

I like that I don't have to "keep up" with people, because they can come back and keep up with me and my slower play. I'm only level 42, I think, and most of the 'GW1' fudgies are in their 70s or even lvl 80 by now. We can still play together, and the game's willingness to let a pseudo-casual play it properly has been refreshing to me. (I am not "casual" in the sense of how casual players in UT2004 were just plain bad at it, but I simply don't have the time anymore. Too busy posting long diatribes on forums now! :stars: )

I have one major, MAJOR complaint about the game still, but 1) I know it will be addressed in the future, and 2) I don't want to spoil content for people still playing who read this thread. Let's just say that Late Game leaves something to be desired for lvl 80 players.

[FnG] Seraph

Postby [FnG] Seraph » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:29 pm

I am a necromancer. When I'm around, enemies just literally poop numbers. In larger groups, I maintain the full 25 stacks of bleeding. That would be 25 ticks per second of (in that second image) 50 damage. That second image is also me being capped at level 50, since we were in a dungeon. It's much higher when I'm at my regular level of (now) level 80.

When I was level 20, even, I was taking on veterans a couple levels higher than me, and winning. For every class it's knowing the utility skills on top of the weapon sets, and figuring out the specs for traits early.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Not gonna say much about it since so much has already been mentioned.

fact is...the game hasnt gripped me at all, the personal storyline is not adding very much sofar either. I do love the way you can wander across the map and pick up your "quests" , it does away with the mindnumbing..pick quest here..do your thing, travel back ...pick up reward. Just going around the world to see what's around the next corner is fun for me for sure.

Im not utterly dissappointed by it, but as a sequel to a great game it isnt impressing and I don't believe this is 5 years of work.

Since it's "new" and has some new stuff not yet seen in other mmo's I will probably play it for a while but it will never bring the 1000's of hours of fun of GW 1..unless something very drastic happens. (it has grown on me a little over the last week or so...but still not mind blowing)

PS: Recycling GW1 music I think was a big booboo, because in all honesty it's has lost touch with it great an famous grandfather ..at least at the lvl im at right now ;)

cheers
Rampy
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FnG] Sphinx

Postby [FnG] Sphinx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Sorry not doing a long and clever quoting this and that post - my food will be cold by then :P

Yes personal story was in the first public beta, and it is junk ... I am a rich spoilt kid, I lost my sister and I love Grenth ..... that is not the basis of a story for me.

'Doing it wrong' - if 'I' am doing it wrong, then 'they' didnt get it right ... I don't wish to sound harsh Sundae but games, books whatever cannot be all things to all people, GW 1 was great, I am totally underwhelmed and disappointed with GW 2.

I know the cows are filler, but they are just lame. During the first beta I made a Char, and after about 15 minutes I was bored. The tar elementals after the 4th time were really quite dull, there was so little to do. I like picking up a quest, performing a task and then going back for my reward.

I know GW 2 is supposedly revolutionising, and by this I mean when i played for 15 mins after it went live, I successfully completed 2 events, one with gold and one with silver or bronze, and I didn't even see the event ...

I am a very judgemental person, can't help it, I do judge books by their covers, if they dont grip me on the first page I don't read them, 15 mins was plenty to decide :)

Dynamic events were supposed to change the environment so it was always new and different ... well that is not quite what happens is it, nothing changes and it stays exactly the same.

I am not going to keep going on, I am glad you enjoy it, I am pleased for you, but please don't tell me I am doing it wrong.

edit: My supper is now cold :crazy:

You can take my chocolate when you pry it from my cold frozen fingers

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:02 am

Bold-text in-line. If you don't care about my GW2 response, at least skip down to the unrelated stuff at the bottom.

[FnG] Sphinx wrote:
I know GW 2 is supposedly revolutionising, and by this I mean when i played for 15 mins after it went live, I successfully completed 2 events, one with gold and one with silver or bronze, and I didn't even see the event ...

It isn't revolutionary in the slightest. I absolutely agree with you that it isn't. It's your standard MMO. Anyone calling it revolutionary is either an ANet marketer or deluded.

I am a very judgemental person, can't help it, I do judge books by their covers, if they dont grip me on the first page I don't read them, 15 mins was plenty to decide :)
I feel sorry for you, then. You're missing out on (on average) 99.71% of everything ever.

Dynamic events were supposed to change the environment so it was always new and different ... well that is not quite what happens is it, nothing changes and it stays exactly the same.
No, they change the environment if you fail to complete the event, which they do. This is outright false. Let the centaurs win and see what happens. Don't stop the bandits from blowing up the bridge for once. Things do change. Sure, the terrain itself doesn't (in most cases) literally change, but we all knew five years ago that wasn't going to happen. No online multiplayer game on earth has done that.

I am not going to keep going on, I am glad you enjoy it, I am pleased for you, but please don't tell me I am doing it wrong.
You're doing it wrong. ;)

edit: My supper is now cold :crazy:
That's okay. You didn't like it after the first bite anyway. ;)

For what it's worth, I'm just discussing during my work breaks. Everything is subjective, game-wise, but I'm going to be honest here: I absolutely, 100% think you're "doing it wrong" in GW2. Seriously. You're filling in gaps in your 15 minutes of experience with views of the game that just straight up are not true and then comparing it against a completely different game in a completely different genre that just happens to have the same name/maker in which you have literally 400,000% more playtime.

Opinions are opinions, but I at least hope you can see where I'm coming from on this. :)

Also - UNRELATED TO GW2 BUT RELATED TO MY POINT:

What exactly do you lot do anymore? Do FnG actually play together at all? This is why I am trying to push anyone to play GW2 and at least give it a fair shake (which frankly I don't think you did). You guys are pretty much dead as a doornail from what I've been hearing, and it'd be a shame to see things fade away. What game are you waiting for next? People said GW2 for a good five years, and now it's out.

Are you going to wait another 5 years for the next thing to come around? Think anyone will still be here then?

We got off to a great GW2 start with Fudge. Tons of the old guys showed up again, and we pulled in a good 40 new guys into the guild. It was a nice spark of life, and things are pretty nifty. :) This game just bought us a good year or two of life, I'd say, and I hope the same is true of FnG. I'd hate to see you guys vanish.

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:03 am

I pretty much agree with everything Sundae has said.

GW2 is a fantastic game. What GW2 isn't is GW1. If you expect it to be GW1, you will be disappointed. It is not, and was never intended to be, an up-to-date faithful copy of the first game.

As you progress through the game, the plot comes to the fore more. It eases you into developments slowly through your personal story, and later events are reflected in the setup of zones.

If you don't like the heart quests, don't do them. PVP. Do dynamic events. Craft. There are so many ways to level compared to other games of this type.

If you're level 20-30, or 15 minutes in, you haven't even seen the dungeons yet!

WvWvW is brilliant fun.

The combat is excellent. There is nothing as satisfying as kiting 3+ enemies and flawlessly dodging all of their attacks through properly timed evasion; this game rewards skill, preparation and positioning.

I can understand someone saying "this isn't my kind of game", but that doesn't make the game bad. This is one of the most polished MMORPGs to hit the market in years, and it's free to play. The reviews from professional reviews and users alike reflect this.

I will end with this: if you're low level, you simply haven't got enough trait points to be able to develop your character into a more specialised build. The difference between an 80 toon and a 20 toon is significant, depending on the build, and proper choice of utility skills is key. Try giving the game a chance, rather than judging it on what it isn't (i.e. GW1). You might be surprised. It's a much deeper game than its predecessor.
Have you blamed Kril lately?

Return to “MMO Gaming”