So what do you all think to GW 2?

All your discussions about Massive Multiplayer Online Games
[FnG] Hanno

Re: So what do you all think to GW 2?

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:28 am

[FDG]Sundae wrote:What exactly do you lot do anymore? Do FnG actually play together at all? This is why I am trying to push anyone to play GW2 and at least give it a fair shake (which frankly I don't think you did). You guys are pretty much dead as a doornail from what I've been hearing, and it'd be a shame to see things fade away. What game are you waiting for next? People said GW2 for a good five years, and now it's out.
We all got old and crankey. If we don't get our afternoon naps we can't play after 9pm :bedrime: - and then we need a bip to catch the drool.
Plus we have to take our false teeth out, because otherwise we lose them laughing when someone falls off a cliff! :tease:

You have a good point, I used to try and find new games and stick them in the 'other games' section to try and get people playing different things.
While FnG has been daydreaming about GW2 , fudge (I know ive been spying on you) have kept a more vibrant community trying new games every few months.

MAYBE FnG ought to be having a recruitment drive to bring in some fresh players as well.

ANd back to the GW2 vs GW - I think the 5 years wait is part of the problem - busted expectations.
Yes you all loved GW (I didnt :-) ) and GW2 took so long coming, with all the teasers and discussions you built up a whole mythology about it.
It didn't stand a chance of meeting those expectations - really did it? :shock:
I'm pretty sure the same happened with UT3 vs UT2004 ... COD5,6,7,8 (what ever they call it) with COD4 ...
Duke Nukem forever with Duke Nukem ... Elite2 with Elite

If you forget GW1 for a moment, and haven't had all the hype, you would probably be looking at the game in a different light.
Maybe not something you are going to commit to for 2 -3 years but something which should at least fun for 6 months.
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:15 am

I personally like the game.

I like how becoming a hero this time differs from GW1, this time around your just a normal guy roaming the areas helping out the local people (like a hero should and making a name for yourself) you start to become the "hero" by doing your personal story and getting noticed by the Destinys Edge character from your starting area, you don't get to fight the dragons until you've "made a name" for your self by in my case saving the queen from the undead of Orr and a corrupted guard getting me the attention of the 3 main factions of the game (each with there own story line). The dungeons add "extra" to the main plot (which doesn't start until level 30).

It is sad that the guild barely chats and acts as a guild any more in game, for the past few weeks its been me and Hanno running about, with Rampy dropping in from time to time and one of my RL mates too. I'd prefer to see the guild chat more active and have FnG running about like we used to laying waste to everything in site. I'd also like to see a group of 5 FnGers taking on WvWvW a few nights a week, new blood to the guild and forums.

I say we try and get a good amount of new players to the guild/forum and add some new flavour to this.

Bah breaks over so back to work ><

[FnG] Yasmin
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Yasmin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:11 pm

GW2 is sure different from what I expected it to be.
After playing a some time I got to like it :D but GW2 is more a game you do on your own with
other ppl on the server imo.

Lambik and I try to play together , the personal storylines is ok, we choose most the same so we can do
stuff together and that works fine.
But when we're out in the world I find it easier to just do my own stuff and walk around the map,
I dont look on my mini map all the time where my team is going, and with no red dots on it it's not that important.
And thats what I think what disapointed the most here that dont like the game, no more chat about
what kind of monk we need, or do we need an interupter etc.
Everyone does their own thing . . . .

I still have movement issues, not sure if that is me or the game :oops:

As for being less active in games, I'm guilty of that too. :sorry:
With our kids getting older I find I have less time to game ,
when on TS you shut yourself from RL and thats just hard atm
Was easier when they went to bed at 7 pm :bedrime:

[FnG] Hanno

Postby [FnG] Hanno » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:47 pm

[FnG] Yasmin wrote:Was easier when they went to bed at 7 pm :bedrime:

You let them stay up past 7pm , thats where youre going wrong! - Not until they are 16!
Hanno's Law:
Anyone who says they know what's going on are probably lying.
Anyone who believes they know what's going on is dangerous and should be avoided at all cost.

[FnG] Lambik
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] Lambik » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:39 pm

[FnG] Hanno wrote: - Not until they are 16!

Yeah, and at that age, we force them into joining online games :star:

ImageImage

[FnG] DressyVirus

Postby [FnG] DressyVirus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 pm

This game is quite possibly the worst game i have ever played, and I have played really dreadful games.

The character creation is like is has come out of the ark, no matter how hard I try cant get any chars half decent looking particularly on the humans.
where are the quests, what am i supposed to be doing and why. It just doesnt feel like you are doing anything worthwhile. (I want to see a "Rurik" Die)
The dynamic events are anything but.
there is no cooperation in the normal game, haven't tried WvWvW or PvP.
They should of marketed the game as a exploration game with mild killing.

Ok so i am only level 21 but finding it very hard to be interested in playing at all.

I could go on slating it, but i wont, although i will say the concept of the hall of monuments is a great idea shame it didn't turn out that way, NCsoft and Areanet should be very disappointed with this game and themselves for producing such drivel. turn the servers off and try to forget about the whole sorry excuse for a game.
"Today's gamers are some of the most whiny, self-centered, narcissistic bunch of crybabies I've ever seen, honestly." Lyria DDO Forumns

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Right then...

"What exactly do you lot do anymore? Do FnG actually play together at all? This is why I am trying to push anyone to play GW2 and at least give it a fair shake (which frankly I don't think you did). You guys are pretty much dead as a doornail from what I've been hearing, and it'd be a shame to see things fade away. What game are you waiting for next? People said GW2 for a good five years, and now it's out.

Are you going to wait another 5 years for the next thing to come around? Think anyone will still be here then?"

Ive played Guild Wars 2 up to level 22, which is about 20 hours worth of gameplay. Playing a game for 20 hours is certainly my idea of a "fair shake". Yes, we (most of us) have been waiting for GW 2 for 5 years, but its just dissapointing. We waited that long because in our mind, or my mind at least, it was going to be a great and enjoyable game. There was no point in time when I wondered if it would ever be boring. It had crossed my mind many times that it wouldn't be as good as the original.

Anyone managed to respond to my earlier mention of the lack of memorable characters?

Here's another one for those of you who have played much further into the game, how many memorable missions have you played? Thunderhead Keep, Elona Reach, Sanctum Cay, Divinity Coast, The Wilds..........these are all memorable missions from GW 1. How many missions can you actually remember from GW 2?

When I first started GW 2, I remember thinking 'I wonder when I will get to a tough mission where Ill be asking for help from the FnG crew'.......I repeated this thought in my mind many times, wondering when the crew will get back together and play again like the 'old times'......but as Yasmin says, it just seems to encourage people to play as individuals. No doubt of course the events encourage group play but theres people all over the place anyway so theres no lack of help. I do wonder if maybe the lack of an instanced world (apart from storyline missions) contributes to this.

In GW 1, when you left a town on your own, you felt kinda isolated, thats why it was always good to party up, especially for harder missions. In GW 2, cause there's people everywhere, you dont get that isolated feeling cause everyone is wandering about around the world doing their own thing.

Another thing about GW 2 which I really dont like is when you have a conversation with another character and see them standing opposite each other with a concept art / painting style background behind them. I preferred GW 1 where you'd have a cutscene instead and the camera would move around the area, showing points of interest for what you had to do.

I feel like I am actually forcing myself to play this game. After all, I did pay £50 for it.

Oh and another thing, Ive read several posts (here and on other forums) saying "ahh but the storyline is great when you get to level 40" (or whatever), my argument is, if getting to level 20 isn't particularly entertaining, then why does it matter how the storyline is in the latter half of the game? Assuming I get to level 50 and think that the storyline is picking up, that still means that any future characters that I make will go through 30 - 40 hours of fairly mediocre gameplay just to get to the good stuff. And thats assuming it is as good as people say it is.

[FnG] RampantBunny
Site Admin

Postby [FnG] RampantBunny » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:36 pm

[FnG] Lazz wrote:Right then...

...but as Yasmin says, it just seems to encourage people to play as individuals.....

This is where the game falls down..it really seems to be a solo game..I am enjoying it though but they may as well have called it AION 2.

That said the walking down the road..see whats around the next corner is a big plus for me..they sure got that right! ..sadly im doing it often alone (with a few regulars on TS on TS..all looking to see whats around that next corner..alone..half the time ;)

I think the game is reasonably good (note the wording ;) ), if they had stuck some of the goodness lazz mentions in it, it would have been the game people would have talked about 10 years from now

The one thing that sticks to my mind is the pre to post searing mission is emu yelling..dont press the ok button and me going..what u say?? press ok???..umm ok ....at lvl 2 LOL!

and then there is fort ranik, the grove, shiverpeaks, abadon, kaineng center (yas the only healer..with 5 gunho assasins :D )...it's that kind of depth GW2 lacks which could have made it agreat game..
We are explorers...We have to Be...To Learn...

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:38 am

I really should be working, but I'm a glutton for punishment and keep coming back to this thread. :lol:

It had crossed my mind many times that it wouldn't be as good as the original.

You're missing the actual point of the quoted text, which is that you guys appear to do jack bologna squat as a guild now. (Why do I care as a non-member? Because I have fond memories of UT2004 with you lot and don't much care to see you vanish when you decide to not do anything for the next X years again. That's the point I was trying to make about writing GW2 off so quickly. You don't do anything else as a group.)

How many missions can you actually remember from GW 2?

Just off the immediate top of my head?

Sinking the Ash Horizon. (SO AWESOME)
The Risen attack on Queen Jennah.
DEFEAT THE SHATTERER.
Drive back the Modnir Centaurs, fight your way into their territory, and defeat their champion and his giant freakin' earth elemental.
Bring the pygmy moas to market!
Explosion in the Thermonuclear Asura Plant. (Explosion fails, plant detonates, level 50 fire elemental spawning lvl 20 enemies appears in a lvl 10 area)
Open an Underworld Gate to commune with Grenth (and fight off his Aatxes).

Perhaps the problem you're having is that the map isn't isolated into areas as cleanly as it was before? In all seriousness, the boss fights have absolutely blown me away in this game. I thought Shiro was kinda cool in GW Factions (lol Nightfall's bosses, lol Prophecy's lich), but until the Shatterer comes and lands in front of you or the Ash Horizon rises from the depths, you really don't know what you're missing on that end.

I can't give you an exact name for most missions, because they don't have names. How many unique and entertaining events could I rattle off? Probably a hundred if I cared to spend that much time writing a post.

Memorable characters is a definite low point in this game, in that the names and identities don't matter too much. I can describe many of the "important" characters, but I absolutely admit that I can't name most of them. They truly aren't important yet - at least not where I am in the plot. (I am only level 50.)

Big pictures, so linking them instead of embedding:
http://i.imgur.com/TyFHU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/E6y1P.jpg

Edit:
Thunderhead Keep, Elona Reach, Sanctum Cay, Divinity Coast, The Wilds..........these are all memorable missions from GW 1. How many missions can you actually remember from GW 2?

Do you know what I remember about them? Absolutely hating every last one of them. The first one liked to bug out a lot and often sent, back before Factions made skill sets easier, impossible wave combinations. (2 monk bosses + 2 monk mobs in each group coming to the doors = you will wipe in original prophecies. A lot of us got stuck there until they literally patched the mission.) The second one was meh. The 3rd one bugged out fairly often. The fourth one bugged out a LOT. The Wilds is the only one I can't say I hate, because I don't remember what you actually did in it. :)

[FnG] Nihilist

Postby [FnG] Nihilist » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:50 am

Memorable characters in GW2:

Rytlock Brimstone, Logan Thackeray, Caithe, Eir Stegalkin, Zojja, Fergal Kernsson, Tybalt Leftpaw, Queen Jennah, Traherne...just to name a few off the top of my head. :)

I barely remember any missions from the original Guild Wars, because honestly, they were all generic and pretty much boiled down to the same thing. The only NPCs I can remember are the Ascalonian king and the prince, and that's about it.
Have you blamed Kril lately?

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:09 pm

@ Sundae - The events you have mentioned are awesome and I've done most of them, I wont go in to detail as most of the guild haven't experienced these events yet with exception to the fire elemental. Most of the good stuff seems to be past level 30, everything up to this point, story wise seems weak imo, level wise 1-10 is nice as you learn how to play the character 11-30 is again weak for me there's something missing the events after this are pretty cool. It does get better the more you delve into it but if you have to force your self to play though most wont get to this point.

[FnG] Lazz

Postby [FnG] Lazz » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:00 pm

[FDG]Sundae wrote:Just off the immediate top of my head?

Sinking the Ash Horizon. (SO AWESOME)
The Risen attack on Queen Jennah.
DEFEAT THE SHATTERER.
Drive back the Modnir Centaurs, fight your way into their territory, and defeat their champion and his giant freakin' earth elemental.
Bring the pygmy moas to market!
Explosion in the Thermonuclear Asura Plant. (Explosion fails, plant detonates, level 50 fire elemental spawning lvl 20 enemies appears in a lvl 10 area)
Open an Underworld Gate to commune with Grenth (and fight off his Aatxes).

Now you see these DO sound quite cool. That explosion in the Asura plant is the biggest pain in the backside since......whatever the last pain in the backside was. I think 40 people including myself must have died and respawned at least 12 times trying to destroy that thing.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:40 pm

That explosion in the Asura plant is the biggest pain in the backside since......whatever the last pain in the backside was. I think 40 people including myself must have died and respawned at least 12 times trying to destroy that thing.

Oh sheesh, no kidding there. Trying to revive people was absolute suicide on that event. :lol: I'm glad the waypoint was so close, because I probably made that run 10-15 times during the fight. So fun, though.

When we did it, there was a guy who ran straight into the center of the elemental, died, and then lay there yelling "DUDE WTF COME REZ ME" over and over, rather than go back to the waypoint. We couldn't have gotten to him if we tried. :lol:

[FnG] Unholy Eve

Postby [FnG] Unholy Eve » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Ah but it has to be that hard since the chest drops 7 half-decent items whereas most only drop 1-3 in the starting areas.

[FDG]Sundae

Postby [FDG]Sundae » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh absolutely on that as well. It's supposed to be hard. Just agreeing that I died a trillion times during it. :)

Return to “MMO Gaming”